Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2017, 10:31 AM

21,466 posts, read 10,568,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
I'm talking to you the white nationalists. You the people who went to VA and killed that woman. You the people who intended to do the same in Boston until you were stopped. i don't see how you can call me unhinged when I am simply drawing on the facts of the alt right and what they are doing. They are the WN militia, the Breitbart, the anti-Jew, anti-minority etc. What you are doing since you are a supporter and defender of their rights to conduct themselves as they have.

I find it odd that you people are always charging a lack of intelligence when NONE of you are particularity educated or intellectually successful in your day-to-day, so I do not know how you can assess my or anyone's intelligence.

While millions of republicans live in blue cities they are not the ones organizing and speaking at these rallies. I would much rather hear from them to be honest. I still do not understand why the likes of midwestern WNs want to come to Boston of all places to scream about Jews and anti-feminism.

People break the law everyday and are not held accountable due to race and class. People who do not break the law have their rights thrown out the window due to race and class. So, it's hard for me to buy this snake oil you're selling.

And let's be honest. You take far less issue with alt-right violence, which is a good indicator of where you stand. How many posts can we find on city-data of you hand-ringing over that poor woman killed last weekend by the alt-right?

None of this really addresses why antifa exists, which still looks like a response to tyranny to me, and why blind obedience should dismiss what's right.

I know the difference between right and wrong. I don't need a god, a law, or a constitution to decipher it for me.
Do you know the difference between tyranny and communism? Because Antifa isn't a response to tyranny. It's a freaking communist organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 10:34 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,274,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I get the impression that the antifas are only anti-statist when it comes to the current state. If they could be in charge the state would resemble something along the lines of Cuba or Venezuela.
Yep. They are generally enormous authoritarian statist-collectivists.

Unrelated to the above, I wanted to post a link to an image uploaded [by the person who took the photo] to an image-hosting site that perfectly encapsulates my feelings:

http://i.imgur.com/q6nvn8v.jpg

And here's an image I created a while back (hosted by City Data itself). This is a bumper sticker that's on my car.

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...ech-speech.png

Old 08-21-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Good comment.

As I'm reading, I see that the Antifa are also opposed to mainstream Democratic liberal ideology with its belief in solutions through "institutions" which they as anarchists decry.

Hence, their sometimes seemingly random violence although most of it is directed against the AltRight and hate groups.

Libertarians, too, are anti-statist but without the violence.
Sure, good comment except it's utterly false. Antifa are the ultimate statuses - communists. They just don't like our current state.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:40 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,091,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Yep. They are generally enormous authoritarian statist-collectivists.

Unrelated to the above, I wanted to post a link to an image uploaded [by the person who took the photo] to an image-hosting site that perfectly encapsulates my feelings:

http://i.imgur.com/q6nvn8v.jpg

And here's an image I created a while back. This is a bumper sticker that's on my car.

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...ech-speech.png
Sadly, those of us that feel this way seem to be a dying breed.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:26 AM

8,497 posts, read 3,338,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Sure, good comment except it's utterly false. Antifa are the ultimate statuses - communists. They just don't like our current state.
Listen, we're all learning as we go with this group. From what I see, the Antifa can be discussed in terms of their historical antecedents (anarchists), as they were formulated in pre-war Germany (the anti-fascist and Communist alliance against fascism), and as they are today - both in the United States and elsewhere in the world.

One poster linked to a long article that I dutifully waded through. This is the an account of the Antifa evolution in Germany.
Quote:
Following their collapse in late 1945 and early 1946, Antifas would disappear from the German political stage for nearly four decades. The modern Antifa with which most people associate the term has no practical historical connection to the movement from which it takes its name, but is instead a product of West Germany’s squatter scene and autonomist movement in the 1980s — itself a unique outgrowth of 1968 considerably less oriented towards the industrial working class than its Italian counterpart.
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/05/a...rmany-cold-war

But that's Germany. Here? Googled more using the search term "leadership" and this was the first hit:
Quote:
It is a loosely organized coalition of protesters, left-wing activists, and self-described anarchists who vow to physically confront "fascists" — meaning anyone who espouses bigoted or totalitarian views.
What Is 'Antifa'? Meet the Fascist-Fighting Coalition Dubbed the 'Alt-Left' by President - NBC News

Other googles to find the underlying political philosophy of the CURRENT AntiFa in the US ended up providing more context (again, not cherry-picking websites, these are first hits):
Quote:
Anarchists and antifascists, often called the antifa, are factions of the far left who feel they are not represented by the mainstream Democratic Party. They have become more visible in the Trump era and are often lumped together, although not all antifascists identify as anarchists. ... Violence damaged the anarchist movement’s reputation around the world, and at the onset of the 20th century, anarchists rebranded, referring to themselves as libertarians. In most countries today — with the United States among the exceptions — libertarianism is synonymous with anarchism.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5950380b5b6d

Also stumbled onto a Daily Kos cite claiming the White House is starting a campaign to brand the AntiFa as liberals:
Quote:
“We have folks that are Libertarian, Republican, communists, anarchists,” she claimed. “It’s a melting pot of ideologies ... I would say the people we have the least of are liberals.”
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...ace-that-label

The Antifa is not "THE left" ... it is not the violent wing of the "Dems" ... there's IS an AntiFa Facebook page and twitter account and supposedly a website although I didn't find it and so there is some degree of centralization. The Philadelphia AntiFA has a blog that lists local leadership.

As a mainly liberal and still-registered Democrat (though plan to change to independent) I sure don't want the AntiFa so please don't send them this way!!! And here I have no doubt that I speak for the vast majority of the "Dems."

Old 08-21-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I get the impression that the antifas are only anti-statist when it comes to the current state. If they could be in charge the state would resemble something along the lines of Cuba or Venezuela.
Historically, that tends to be true of any fringe group whose ideas may not be shared by the mainstream or if implemented come to alienate the mainstream with the end result that authoritarianism is used by leaders to main control with often disastrous results.

Communism, of course, is a prime example for there the ideology was that the state and social classes would fade away but instead it led to authoritarian regimes and the ultimate statism.

No idea how many Antifa blogs there may or who has decided to say what in the name of what.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Listen, we're all learning as we go with this group. From what I see, the Antifa can be discussed in terms of their historical antecedents (anarchists), as they were formulated in pre-war Germany (the anti-fascist and Communist alliance against fascism), and as they are today - both in the United States and elsewhere in the world.

One poster linked to a long article that I dutifully waded through. This is the an account of the Antifa evolution in Germany.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/05/a...rmany-cold-war

But that's Germany. Here? Googled more using the search term "leadership" and this was the first hit:

What Is 'Antifa'? Meet the Fascist-Fighting Coalition Dubbed the 'Alt-Left' by President - NBC News

Other googles to find the underlying political philosophy of the CURRENT AntiFa in the US ended up providing more context (again, not cherry-picking websites, these are first hits):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5950380b5b6d

Also stumbled onto a Daily Kos cite claiming the White House is starting a campaign to brand the AntiFa as liberals:

The Antifa is not "THE left" ... it is not the violent wing of the "Dems" ... there's IS an AntiFa Facebook page and twitter account and supposedly a website although I didn't find it and so there is some degree of centralization. The Philadelphia AntiFA has a blog that lists local leadership.

As a mainly liberal and still-registered Democrat (though plan to change to independent) I sure don't want the AntiFa so please don't send them this way!!! And here I have no doubt that I speak for the vast majority of the "Dems."
I have been aware of these guys since the Trump rally in San Jose, which is the only reason I went and voted this year against Hillary Clinton. I sat out the primary because I was unwilling to vote for any of the candidates, but San Jose completely changed my mind.

I believe the Democrats have a huge problem on their hands.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:49 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,538,866 times
Quote:

Quote:
“We have folks that are Libertarian, Republican, communists, anarchists,” she claimed. “It’s a melting pot of ideologies ... I would say the people we have the least of are liberals.”
if figures that the daily kossack would NOT include the next two sentences from the original article in the Phoenix New Times

here they are in red below:

Quote:
“We have folks that are Libertarian, Republican, communists, anarchists,” she claimed. “It’s a melting pot of ideologies ... I would say the people we have the least of are liberals."
Despite this melange of beliefs, she conceded that most people would regard the group as being on the left of the political spectrum.

Faaaar left, by my reckoning.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:56 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,326,964 times
Quote:

I'm not so sure you do speak for the vast majority of Democrats. Granted, I live in the bluest county in the blue state of NY, so I'm prejudiced. Far too many people here are in complete approval of using violence to shut down not just the white supremacists, but any rally supporting Trump. They also love the idea of Google and ProPublica working to shutdown right-wing web sites. I know a couple who are pleased as can be that their kid and his friends are going to Phoenix to disrupt the Trump rally and bragged their kid is going to punch one of those Trump effer's in the face.

Last edited by Dockside; 08-21-2017 at 12:51 PM..

Old 08-21-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Okay, so explain Berkeley. Milo was invited to speak there.
Explain the inauguration.
Explain the attack on Joshua Witt , stabbed for having the wrong hair cut.
Explain the attack on police in Chicago.
Explain for the calling of violence on any Trump supporter
Antifa Website Calls for Violence Against Trump Supporters | Fox News Insider

Face it, Antifa is far more dangerous to our society at this time then some inbred neckbeard basement dwellers that think the South won.
Scarabchuck, I took a look at this - twice - but had trouble deciphering it at first given all the flashing overlays, the speed not the mention the pulsating music. It came across like propaganda so blatant that I'm really surprised FOX had their name on it.

To begin, I *never* found a link to a website calling for violence against Trump supporters? Admittedly, I browsed fairly quickly for there's so much crap on the screen. Did I miss it?

As for the video itself. The supposed "message" was delivered by flashing blocks of commentary (written by FOX? yes?) overlaying scenes of AntiFa actions, some violent. AntiFa was protesting positions that, yes, Trump supporters and "conservatives" may have been espousing. And here NO judgment by me of the actual positions for didn't get into that kind of detail and for some I may well have agreed with the Trump supporters/conservatives!

FOX started off using the blocks to "explain" the background of the AntiFa at first quite accurately but then slipped into (and this was the worst):

The Radical Fringe group is considered the more militant side of the anti-Trump "resistance" movement.

Oh really. Considered by whom? This was not a quote by any authority much less the AntiFa. The only quotes were around "resistance."

Lots of folks resisting Trump these days in various ways. Are they all AntiFa or rather aligned with the AntiFa? You can see what they are doing, surely: trying to link the AntiFa into the mainstream politics of anyone who opposes Trump. And conservatives. This is scary stuff.

C'mon. I have a lot of respect for some of your previous posts but if YOU are taken in by this kind of crap this country really is in trouble.

(And, yes, I saw that the video has been splashed all over twitter. Too bad.)

Last edited by EveryLady; 08-21-2017 at 12:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies