Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2017, 05:59 PM

17,655 posts, read 17,769,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuja1 View Post
I can't see any redeeming qualities in these groups, and if they support murdering other groups of people they dislike, it seems like a proper reason to ban their right to speak publicly about this. People do not have the right to incite violence and murder in this country, so it would seem that this would apply to the KKK and neo Nazis. Thoughts?
As long as they're not committing crimes then they still have the right. When you deny the right of those you don't like nor agree with them that is a slippery slope to censoring the freedom of speech on ANYONE you disagree with. What happens when what you have to say offends others and want to shut you down? The right response is a peaceful counter protest or everyone ignores them, counter protestors and news media. Instead the news and counter protestors show up and initiate the violence because of what is being said.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:02 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,791,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Illegal speech has a very specific definition.

Banning free-speech because you do not like a group's stance is very unwise.

If the group in question, or any group for that matter, crosses legal-lines, they should be prosecuted.
Mark this down on your calendar, I agree with you.

I prefer my ideological foes to be speaking in the public arena. For several reasons, it is unwise to start picking and choosing whose opinions are allowed and whose aren't.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:04 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,560,585 times
Yes the Constitution protects their right to voice their opinion.

But boy are we in trouble if more and more people begin to share those opinions...

Old 08-18-2017, 06:05 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,567,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

But we as rest of mainstream society have the right and moral to overwhelmingly condemn them - VOCALLY.

If they lose the right to SAY whatever then any we lose free speech overall.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:10 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
If they are not doing anything illegal or directly inciting violence or threatening others, they have a right to free speech.

But we as rest of mainstream society have the right and moral to overwhelmingly condemn them - VOCALLY.
Sure.

Which is why things like Charlottesville should not be allowed. They went there with the intent of inciting violence, and this time they actually managed to produce a body count greater than zero.

They can stand around with their flags screaming about Jews or whatever all they want. It ends when they show up armed and looking for a fight.

Even the ACLU sees that as a reasonable limitation, and they've got a long history of defending racist trash, including in Charlottesville.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:40 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,308,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
To me free speech for Neo Nazi's, KKK, Black lives Matter and any other person including politicians who conduct hate speech should not be covered under the first amendment!
I do not like your hate speech.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:52 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,709,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuja1 View Post
I can't see any redeeming qualities in these groups, and if they support murdering other groups of people they dislike, it seems like a proper reason to ban their right to speak publicly about this. People do not have the right to incite violence and murder in this country, so it would seem that this would apply to the KKK and neo Nazis. Thoughts?

What a real president is all about???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zemrWBIc_hE

Old 08-18-2017, 06:52 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,099,868 times
U.S. Constitution Amendment #1
'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.'
Every person or group has the right to 'the freedom of speech' but no one is required to listen to them.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:25 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,587,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
The difference lies between "What should our immigration policy be?" and a President saying, "All Mexicans are criminals".
Should people who keep repeating the lie that Trump said "All Mexicans are criminals" be punished for perpetuating a falsehood?

Old 08-18-2017, 07:30 PM

384 posts, read 384,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Oh, I took you in context. I still think you are scary and un-American.

I also think speech like yours shouldn't be allowed in this country as it is un-Constitutional and I don't see any redeeming qualities in it.
I think you see what you want to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies