Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2017, 07:25 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I wish I was younger...I'd ask out some of the girls who wore the hats on campus.

Awesome job!

What is awesome about creating deliberate upset to people who are paying students at a HBCU?

That's a disgusting notion.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:26 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Well, now that you mention it, and not that they deserve to be raped because of it, but the shorts they were wearing were much more offensive imo than the t-shirts or hats.

If my daughter put herself in the spotlight with those skimpy shorts, I would be smacking her down myself.
in their defense - they had no idea they were entering a 'spotlight'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
They knew exactly what they were doing. No one stops by Howard to eat lunch. You don't stop by HU and claim you didn't know you were at the HU.
Nor do you pretend it's a lunch spot.

I know people who support Trump and they would not go to a college where folks are paying tuition to attend and get an education, just to cause upset and to pretend like it was a happening lunch spot.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:28 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Stuff like this is like the exact reason why many HBCU students didn't go to a PWI. People wonder was blacks would need a "safe space" like an HBCU...it's to avoid distractions like stupid white girls looking to make themselves some kind of victims.

And, with that said, people like to keep "what about Chicago?" and "look at Detroit" in their mouths, then they go antagonize black kids who are actually trying to make something of themselves. If you're going to troll, stop picking soft targets. Go (s)troll through one of these neighborhoods you think is full of "gangs".
'antagonized' by a hat? really?

what kind of weak-minded sissies are they letting into 'America's black harvard' these days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Why do you support racist white girls trying to incite a reaction from black college students? Why do you support racist whites picking soft targets to troll? And yes, they were looking to make a scene and claim some type of victimhood. They would have gotten their desired response if they weren't cowards and choosing the exact blacks they should be okay with.

But yeah, your response let's me know you support unnecessary antagonizing of people for racial reasons.
where in the world are you getting this from? what did they do that was 'racist'?

Old 08-23-2017, 07:28 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
MEANWHILE, back in Reality Land:

Trump signs executive order on black colleges | PBS NewsHour

#MAGA you dumbass students.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Trump is helping them more than Obama did. It just shows what a caring, compassionate inclusive President he is. But do their street level peons appreciate what he is doing for black colleges? No, instead they march to the liberal media tunes of division and hate.
Like most of his EOs nothing came of it. He actually is doing worse than Obama with HBCUs and leadership at HBCUs were upset at Obama for not doing more since he was the first black president.

Actions speak louder than words. See link below, it is a liberal outlet but has quotes from HBCU leadership. It was authored by a Howard alum.

Trump Vowed to Prioritized Black Colleges and then Came His Budget

Quote:
“We will make HBCUs a priority in the White House,” Trump said at the signing. “An absolute priority.”

But for leaders and advocates of these institutions, the release of Trump’s budgetin late May did nothing of the sort. Trump not only proposed no new funding for HBCUs, but also called for slashing millions of dollars from federal programs that support degree programs at the schools. Trump’s plan appeared to boost Pell Grants by extending their use to year-round—but meanwhile called for taking away $5 billion-plus in reserves from the Pell program and cutting at least $1.5 billion from other federal financial aid programs, including work study. Taken together, these cuts would disproportionately affect low-income students at black colleges and cost the schools millions in revenue.
From presidents of colleges:

Quote:
The perception that many HBCU presidents were operating under was that the administration was making a commitment to follow up with a substantial investment in the institutions,” Wilson told me recently. “What we see now certainly does not meet my definition of substantial investment.”
Quote:
“The budget doesn’t match” earlier messaging from the White House, said Walter Kimbrough, the president of Dillard University. “I’ll be interested to see how members of his team will say this undergirds his recent support for HBCUs. At least for Dillard, I can say it’s a loss.”
The way the article attempted to provide a balanced view of the situation:

Quote:
Johnny Taylor, president of the Thurgood Marshall College Fund, says the news about Trump’s budget hasn’t been all bad—HBCUs were mostly insulated from a proposed 13 percent across-the-board cut hitting the Department of Education, which supplies the majority of federal funding to HCBUs. Even being able to retain that core funding under Trump “is something that our community should celebrate,” Taylor says.

But Kimbrough sees that as “moving the goal posts,” especially after a promise was in the air from the White House. He and Wilson told Mother Jones that the other cuts, including those to financial aid programs, could cost their schools six- or possibly even seven-figure sums in revenue and would impact hundreds of their schools’ students. “When you take away any money from any of the students that are on Pell Grants or coming from limited-resource families, you are putting them closer and closer to going back home,” Wilson said. Even with as little as a few hundred dollars per semester—”those dollars actually mean the world for our students.”

Old 08-23-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
If the shoe was on the other foot it would be called supremacy and even Nazism. Let's just be honest and admit it that average whites are treated as second class citizens already.
On what planet?

Old 08-23-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Why do we have a black college?

Isn't that racist?
No. It's not remotely racist. White people can attend them. They are HBCUs. This means that they are "historically black colleges and universities." Places created for black students during segregation because so many historically WHITE colleges would not accept them.

White people can most definitely attend them, so there's no racism at work whatsoever. Well, prejudice would be the actual issue. Racism against white people in a majority white country where white people retain the power isn't actually possible.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:33 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,281,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
They were only there to provoke a reaction, and it worked. But that's what passes for political discourse these days.
Political discourse? Are you kidding? They were trying to have lunch when the racists went into action. This is racist thuggery by the students at Howard. It's as simple as that.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Really. 1 guy is supposedly representative of all conservatives, but 100s or more including institutions isn't representative of liberals.
There was more than one guy at that rally chanting. Just because they didn't all hit some people with a car and kill someone doesn't mean that plenty aren't hatemongers.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
We are becoming a nation of trolls. Why would these girls wear those hats unless to get a specific reaction? Pretty stupid. That doesn't mean the people there had to take the bait, but that's the problem today. Everybody wants a reaction.
Agreed. And people know that these girls were trying to upset people. I give people enough credit to be intelligent enough to know trolling when they see it.

Once Howard University's cafeteria makes it to the Michelin list, I'll amend my statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies