Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2017, 07:06 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Thank you, No_Recess and MPowering1 for bringing comedic relief to this thread!
It's all we have left.

You spent most of the thread arguing with someone who doesn't believe theft and assault/battery are legitimate crimes.

You needed the relief...and alcohol too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 07:28 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Thank you, No_Recess and MPowering1 for bringing comedic relief to this thread!
Thanks, Salmonburgher. After looking at the long diatribes you had to counter, it was either joke, or stick a pencil in my eye. You probably felt the same.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:29 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,709,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Um, yes, you kinda did.

"Literally being a minority in the US is all the example you should need. They have black institutions for a reason"

And to the second bolded point, yes I actually have. Numerous times. Your point?

Get out of that stupid "group think mentality". That actually is more condescending to us blacks than anything. That we can't do anything because "WAH BLACK DISCRIMINATION".

Are you a minority yourself? Or a white person who thinks they know so well about being a minority in this country? Because if the latter, you're a part of the problem and you don't even realize it.
My wording on that was very terrible, so please excuse me for that. However, context is very important. The poster I responded to was suggesting that just because someone of color was able to make it into a very successful institution, that it means they haven't been subject to being oppressed due to their skin color. Perhaps the word "oppressed" isn't the correct word for everyone, but it's undeniable that the Majority of black people in the US have experienced some type of discrimination...otherwise this wouldn't even be a topic to discuss.

And what you're telling me is that we're on the same page. I am by no means making excuses for why black people can't do something. Please don't get me wrong on that, because I agree with you! We can do anything. I myself am of African/Latino decent and have been able to put myself in a great position by working hard. But I'm trying to say that there aren't many black people who haven't experienced some form of discrimination/obstacle because of their skin color. That is why BLM is not the equivalent to girls going to a black college campus to get a reaction (Which was the initial post I was responding to).

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you see all minorities as automatically 'oppressed', evidence be damned?

that's just sad.

ok, let's try again. Obama is an American, and a minority.
how is Obama 'oppressed'?
No, but I will say that many minorities in America have experience obstacles because of their skin (Which was my point before the subject got changed), and that's not even up for debate.

To say that nobody at that school has experienced racism/discrimination/racial profiling because they've worked hard to get into a great school is kinda obsurd. Being a successful black persons isn't going to stop somebody from being prejudice towards you. Obama has spoke numerous times about his experiences as well. And to reiterate, that isn't an excuse not to succeed, but that's the reality. What I was initially commenting on and what you brought up are 2 different things though. BLM has a cause that most (Won't say all because sonnymarkjiz can't) black people can relate to. So in that regard, I would say people at this college have likely experienced some type of opstacle in life because they're a minority and probably will in the future.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:39 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times
Quote:
I bet you blame rape victims, too, don't you?

No. My analogy is better.

In this case, some girls went to lunch at HU wearing a MAGA hat and T shirt. These girls were assaulted, battered, and had theft committed against them because of the clothing they wore. Some people here blamed the girls for wearing the type of clothing they wore.

That is perfectly analogous to this:

A girl goes to a place where lots of dodgy men hang out wearing skimpy clothing and gets raped and then some people blame her for wearing the type of clothing she wore.

Much better than your analogy, because in mine, the facts are nearly identical. Only the crime differed. My girls did not poke anyone.

No idea what you are trying to say.
Well, now that you mention it, and not that they deserve to be raped because of it, but the shorts they were wearing were much more offensive imo than the t-shirts or hats.

If my daughter put herself in the spotlight with those skimpy shorts, I would be smacking her down myself.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:41 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
Exactly, they should have been arrested for trespassing. Why do black folks even entertain these clowns?
I don't think they should be arrested for trespassing, but I do wonder why there is a group on campus allegedly touring and no campus rep is greeting/engaged with them. Is this normal that large groups of people just wander onto private campuses and tour?

Old 08-22-2017, 07:47 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,280 times
Stuff like this is like the exact reason why many HBCU students didn't go to a PWI. People wonder was blacks would need a "safe space" like an HBCU...it's to avoid distractions like stupid white girls looking to make themselves some kind of victims.

And, with that said, people like to keep "what about Chicago?" and "look at Detroit" in their mouths, then they go antagonize black kids who are actually trying to make something of themselves. If you're going to troll, stop picking soft targets. Go (s)troll through one of these neighborhoods you think is full of "gangs".

Old 08-22-2017, 07:48 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Well, now that you mention it, and not that they deserve to be raped because of it, but the shorts they were wearing were much more offensive imo than the t-shirts or hats.

If my daughter put herself in the spotlight with those skimpy shorts, I would be smacking her down myself.
I understand your conservative dress values, but I'd rather see pretty young white America girls in shorts than ugly foreign faces in hijabs though. In a civilized society young women can wear shorts and skirts or a MAGA hat, and beauty can be appreciated, and not be harassed or abused.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:55 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I understand your conservative dress values, but I'd rather see pretty young white America girls in shorts than ugly foreign faces in hijabs though. In a civilized society young women can wear shorts and skirts or a MAGA hat, and beauty can be appreciated, and not be harassed or abused.
Smh. Please. There are scores of Muslim beauties who prefer to cover their bodies, for God and their husbands. This is beauty in modesty.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Stuff like this is like the exact reason why many HBCU students didn't go to a PWI. People wonder was blacks would need a "safe space" like an HBCU...it's to avoid distractions like stupid white girls looking to make themselves some kind of victims.

And, with that said, people like to keep "what about Chicago?" and "look at Detroit" in their mouths, then they go antagonize black kids who are actually trying to make something of themselves. If you're going to troll, stop picking soft targets. Go (s)troll through one of these neighborhoods you think is full of "gangs".
Oh my.

Another "try this in the ghetto" response.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:02 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Oh my.

Another "try this in the ghetto" response.
Now we know why it's a ghetto. Many of the people there are stupid, violent and hateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies