Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2017, 03:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised nobody has taken the page from one of the resident racists here and posted:

Awww, some black people were butt hurt over a big bad hat and tee shirt. Cry me a river. Butt hurt butt hurt.

White people don't care what black people think of them and we'll wear whatever we like. Deal with it.

Sound familiar? Buehler? Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 03:09 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It matters because this may have been a planned, staged event.

Also, again there was not violence. I know you love it when blacks attack whites but unfortunately it didn't happen.
Why is wearing MAGA around blacks and liberals an 'event'? That's what matters. It shouldn't be an 'event' to wear MAGA anywhere anytime. It's only an 'event' because certain people are intolerant and uncivil.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:10 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
It matters because this may have been a planned, staged event.

Also, again there was not violence. I know you love it when blacks attack whites but unfortunately it didn't happen.
There wasn't physical violence, but there was verbal and social media assaults aimed at the girls.

From the OP link:

One of the high school guests, in a social media post of her own, said they were simply visiting the school’s cafeteria to get food as part of a larger tour of the nation’s capital, and faced a barrage of insults and aggressive acts, including having their hat stolen and being told ‘‘F*** y’all.”

“The students took videos and pictures of us saying WE were being ‘disrespectful’, and that ‘us being caucasian, we should have known better,'” according to high school student Allie Vandee on Twitter.

So no, the college students were not little angels, they were acting like bigots and bullies.

Why are black students hostile to Trump? Simple, because these people are DEMOCRATS first, and as good little Democrats they hate Republicans. So, no wonder they were treated so badly.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:13 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Why is wearing MAGA around blacks and liberals an 'event'? That's what matters. It shouldn't be an 'event' to wear MAGA anywhere anytime. It's only an 'event' because certain people are intolerant and uncivil.
What do you think the left on this forum would be saying, if this were 2009, and young black girls wearing "Change we Can Believe In" apparel were being treating this poorly at Yale or Harvard? They'd be screaming racism from the top of their lungs, is what.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:14 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,008 times
The way I look at this situation is that BOTH " sides" behaved poorly. The hat girls, while not committing a crime, used VERY poor judgement in doing what they did, given the charged political climate in the U.S. these days. These spoiled, entitled princesses knew what they were doing, and I think it sucks.
That said, HU is an elite university; the students that attend Howard are also elite. They attend Howard because they are considered the cream of the crop, the brightest, most intelligent, with excellent character. These are the world leaders of the future, the best out there- they should have acted like it. They had a right to be angry, but COULD have expressed that anger and outrage like the elite young people they are.
BOTH sides dropped the ball

Old 08-22-2017, 03:15 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
But this assumes a couple of things. It assumes the girls should really know better - when many of us adults on c-d didn't even know 'Make America Great Again' is now a trigger for black people. It also assumes these girls would know that the place they're stopping in for lunch is a black college, and again, some adults on c-d seemed unaware of that fact.

And it assumes the adult chaperone is going to know that the shirt and hat the teens were wearing would trigger black people.

I'm not sure there was a *tour* at the college. Just a place they went for lunch, possibly set up ahead of time. The tour was throughout D.C.

I'm confused as to why people are so unwilling to give airhead 16 year old girls the benefit of the doubt.
I don't believe them because it is an odd story. They said they were on a tour of DC and/or colleges. The OP mentioned they had also visited Cleveland State University, so I would think it was a college tour. It would be very odd to stop at HU just for lunch. That alone is suspect to me. If they were on a tour of DC why not visit some place that is known for good food in DC.

I know that in general, when youth visit college campuses they are not allowed to wear political material. Hell, we can't wear a MAGA hat at work or shirt and couldn't wear anything that has any political slogan on it or could be construed to be a political representation of the organization that we work for or open us up to complaints from staff/clients.

Adult chaperones are supposed to enforce dress codes. It makes me think that they are lying about a tour and that they went deliberately to try to get people to lash out against them that this was a publicity stunt in order to create the idea of them being victimized.

I do no blame the girls as much as I would blame the adult chaperones. Teenage girls do dumb things. I did when I was a teen. Teens in general do dumb things. That is why you have them chaperoned. People do get triggered by political things - that is why most people don't speak about religion and politics IRL at work in this country. People get very upset and passionate about their political views and any adult chaperone should be aware of that and not let silly teenaged girls go on tour with them wearing political slogans.

On triggering, everyone gets triggered and/or upset about something that other people feel is nothing to get upset about. That is how people are.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
What do you think the left on this forum would be saying, if this were 2009, and young black girls wearing "Change we Can Believe In" apparel were being treating this poorly at Yale or Harvard? They'd be screaming racism from the top of their lungs, is what.
FWIW, we were not allowed to wear any Obama political slogans at my job either at that time and I have volunteered with youth organizations for many years and when going on tours of colleges, they were not allowed to wear any political slogans or t-shirts with what could be perceived to be "offensive" messages/slogans.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
If that was the case, there would be 24/7 news coverage how those black teens were victims of racism and round the clock protests and allegations of that school being a front for the KKK, Neo-Nazis, etc.

Yep, Make America Great Again is a concept every American should embrace. What's wrong with Americans wanting to make America great?
Nothing- as long as it's made great for ALL Americans, not just rich white dudes born with silver spoons up their arses

Old 08-22-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Because people like you like to elicit negative reactions from blacks and other minority groups in order to prove your assertion of them being inferior.

And the only time I've seen people wear MAGA shirts/hats are at political events. So people could believe that those clothes are associated with a staged or planned event.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I don't believe them because it is an odd story. They said they were on a tour of DC and/or colleges. The OP mentioned they had also visited Cleveland State University, so I would think it was a college tour. It would be very odd to stop at HU just for lunch. That alone is suspect to me. If they were on a tour of DC why not visit some place that is known for good food in DC.

I know that in general, when youth visit college campuses they are not allowed to wear political material. Hell, we can't wear a MAGA hat at work or shirt and couldn't wear anything that has any political slogan on it or could be construed to be a political representation of the organization that we work for or open us up to complaints from staff/clients.

Adult chaperones are supposed to enforce dress codes. It makes me think that they are lying about a tour and that they went deliberately to try to get people to lash out against them that this was a publicity stunt in order to create the idea of them being victimized.

I do no blame the girls as much as I would blame the adult chaperones. Teenage girls do dumb things. I did when I was a teen. Teens in general do dumb things. That is why you have them chaperoned. People do get triggered by political things - that is why most people don't speak about religion and politics IRL at work in this country. People get very upset and passionate about their political views and any adult chaperone should be aware of that and not let silly teenaged girls go on tour with them wearing political slogans.

On triggering, everyone gets triggered and/or upset about something that other people feel is nothing to get upset about. That is how people are.

VERY well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies