Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 06:41 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Man, that's so sad!

Old 08-31-2017, 07:04 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 5 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,603,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
A black MMA fighter has been helping victims of Harvey for days. Even the dreaded white folks. Lots of pics and videos of him helping anyone and everyone in the article.

He further added...

Black MMA Fighter Says He Saved Stranded Harvey Victim With Confederate Flag | HuffPost

To normal folks this is a man of integrity, respect, and a hero.

To the Left he'll be labeled an Uncle Tom or worse.

I'm of "the left", and I admire and respect him. Just because you carry a Confederate flag doesn't mean you detest people "not like you". True, I think such people are sincerely misguided with the "Heritage, Not Hate" thing; but that doesn't mean they deserve rejection and certainly not deeply personalized rejection. The only grounds for personalized rejection is if that person shows a clearly willfully callous indifference toward others.

So where does this "leftist" (read: me) fit into your claim?

Old 08-31-2017, 07:17 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
whitesplaining... this place is filled with folks telling Black people how they think and act.

Sonny is a black man. Is it okay now for him to offer his opinion?

Old 08-31-2017, 07:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Oh, people you think like you, no surprise, it runs in the family.

Was your 'engineer' brother on any of the news channels giving updates during press conferences? No? Well then. Add your brother to the list of people whose opinion means **** to the rest of Houston.

The only one crying is you. And it's falling on deaf Houston ears. Why don't you donate some money and do something good...something people will actually care about. For once.
Why don't we ALL take it down a notch?
I'm sure everyone can agree that this is a horrible disaster for those in Southern Texas (not just Houston) and the water isn't even receded and yet there's fighting about what should or shouldn't happen, what did or didn't happen or were decisions made good or bad.

They'll be plenty of time in the coming weeks to do all of that...

Old 08-31-2017, 07:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Man, that's so sad!
Those ARE true hero's! Unpaid,not insured, on their own dime with nothing forcing them to be there other than out of compassion for their fellow citizens.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:33 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Why don't we ALL take it down a notch?
I'm sure everyone can agree that this is a horrible disaster for those in Southern Texas (not just Houston) and the water isn't even receded and yet there's fighting about what should or shouldn't happen, what did or didn't happen or were decisions made good or bad.

They'll be plenty of time in the coming weeks to do all of that...

I think it would be helpful if those of us not going through this catastrophe bring it down a notch. Those posting from flooded areas are going to be upset and it seems like some posters are intentionally goading them. It's painful to watch - these people are going through enough already.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:33 PM

78,447 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm just pointing out that statues/flags/monuments aren't the key (or even one of the top keys) to a functioning society's ability to negotiate its past, present and future.

The narrative in the MSM and Left (perhaps more of the fringe Left but nonetheless) believe otherwise.

This story and many others like it prove that claim but the MSM/Left to be false IMO.
Just shut up. You took a nice story and are trying to lay your partisan eggs on it and nobody is buying it.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Does every minor thing like this have to be cherry picked out and blown up?
Really? Look at the threads you've started.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=29522979

Old 08-31-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Sonny is a black man. Is it okay now for him to offer his opinion?
Only after checking him with the Sherwin Williams color sample chart can we judge the quality of his argument.

Clearly Martin Luther King asking for people to be judged by character and not skin color is passe.

These days the strength of your argument with FRINGE elements (please do not lump all of the left in with this) is CLEARLY tied to pigmentation and not oh...logic and so forth.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:59 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Can you cite a source that says they are no longer required by law to file forms that detail potentially dangerous chemicals?
Early this morning I was switching, IIRC, between Channel 26 and Channel 2 here in the Houston metro and I heard the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies