Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:12 AM

223 posts, read 496,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Ah, I see what you mean. I don't think America has made decisions that was good for US (the middle class and poor citizens) ever. American sovereignty means nothing in my opinion if sections of the society are being left behind or exploited in some way, fashion or form.

I think fundamentally, certain things must be done. For example, no reason a ex president should be getting 250,000 a year after he finishes office. I would also like to see what the average pay for elected officials in Washington happens to be. Also, the lobbiest crap needs to be banned or out lawed or something. These are superficial examples but the fundamental core of politics in America needs to change.
Heres the guy that said it ,you should do your homework before you put words in other peoples mouths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 11:37 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
I just changed it to provide some context:

Look at how the financial markets are going these days ... look at how the country is swamped with illegals ... look at how Roosevelt is giving away our money to England and how the war in Europe is sucking us dry ... look at how we've lost nearly all of our farming base ... look at how oil, rubber, steel, copper and food prices keep going through the roof ... look at all the racial hatred and mistrust ... and look at how no one seems to have solutions for these problems and more.

I fear that things are going to get worse before they get better. Glad I never brought a kid into this messed up world. What about you, Do you get an uneasy feeling about this country's future?

In short, no.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:04 PM

97 posts, read 369,873 times
i feel if the US just pulls out of iraq, things will slowly fall back into place with the billions being wasted there coming back into our economy

Old 03-17-2008, 01:01 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj View Post
i feel if the US just pulls out of iraq, things will slowly fall back into place with the billions being wasted there coming back into our economy
Not by a long shot man. Or financial markets are in cardiac arrest and that isn't because of Iraq.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:01 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Somehow we have to reinvigorate the idea of unity, re-emphasize the concept of civic duty, and stop accepting anything that comes down the pike as diversity.

When you walk into your local McDonalds, Wendy's, Subway or other entry-level and/or part-time employers and you contrast the workers who worked there 25 years ago with those today it is alarming.

My friends and I were those workers 25 years ago and we had to work hard to get those $2.73 per hour jobs. Most of the workers there were part-time workers who were having the experience of working their first job and learning responsibility. I enjoyed the experience of the 3 years I worked there during high school and during holidays and summers while in college.

Today many entry level jobs are filled with high school dropouts and low-performing high school graduates who have no discernable skill. Too many can't or won't follow the well-defined procedures and training feeling that McDonalds, Wendy's or Subway is lucky to have them show up for their $8 per hour job.

We have to witness tatooed 16 and 17 year-olds with their name tatooed on their neck and R-I-P tributes to shot, OD'd, or risky behaviored friends who are no longer alive strewn all over their body reluctantly asking "for here or to go." What ever happened to, "Hi, how may I help you? or May I take your order please?"

This group is growing and this is a danger to America's future. Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama or even John McCain are not going to solve our problems unless this is addressed.

Paying a drop-out, "a living wage" is not going to improve their contribution to society or offer them an incentive to stay in school and take their educational opportunities seriously.

It's time to have honest, perhaps uncomfortable conversations, with the American people just what it means to be an American and start holding people accountable for their behavior.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:25 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
A very polarized country politically;
A rapidly weakening dollar;
We are a consumer nation much moreso than a producing nation,
Oil prices rise and rise with the weak dollar in this nation that consumes more oil than any;
Taxes keep rising over time;
Political correctness is running amok;
Illegal immigration goes on, and politicians are too spineless to stand against it;
Record amounts of personal debt and an economy propped up by credit;
Mass media feeds and even sways the populations;
Loss of freedoms and liberties in the name of 'security';
A record amount of national debt;
The enormous rise of China and other developing countries and the coming conflicts over resources and the resulting economic hit we'll take;
.....and on and on and on.

We've been through a lot as a nation, with the civil war being our low point IMO. But - more and more as time goes on I cannot muster any optimism concerning the future of our country. I think with each passing day we slip a little bit further down the drain. Just my opinion of course, but there you go.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:27 PM

543 posts, read 1,228,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas_4u View Post
This is just an economic shake-up due to our country, living on too much credit for so long, predatory lending practices, and the inevitable transition into the world economy, which will hurt some industries in this country. So it's kind of a culmination of various events. It's nothing really new, but there are challenges. The deficit is huge because of money spent on a wasted war in Iraq, among other things.... that has compounded problems, but it will all be ok.....

Because of peoples' stress, you might see an increase in crime, I feel we have already, with all the shootings across the country. But it's going to all be ok.....guaranteed. This stuff is mild, compared to the Great Depression......

Focus on the positive, things will be bright once again. But remember, the world economy is inevitable due to technology. Also remember, nothing is guaranteed in life, except death and taxes. We've really had it great, almost too great. Economic boom cannot last forever, there are cycles. So enjoy life, and keep a positive mentality, and trust me, everything will be ok.....
I would love to believe everything will be ok, but things are getting pretty scary out there! I am trying to be positive, not always easy with the way things are though. I fear for our children's futures, something has to be done about energy, food, water, climate, education, and of course social stratification problems. Inequality is everywhere you look.
The rich are getting their just desserts right now! For being so greedy, they will lose it all! The poor will rise up against the capitalists, and there will be a better balance.
Revolution is in the air...

Old 03-28-2010, 12:03 AM

115 posts, read 301,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
No. We'll be fine.
I like your sense of humor.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:07 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrometheus View Post
I like your sense of humor.
This thread is TWO YEARS OLD

Old 03-28-2010, 12:07 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,305,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrometheus View Post
Look at how the financial markets are going these days ... look at how the country is swamped with illegals ... look at how Bush is giving away our money to Africa and how the war in Iraq is sucking us dry ... look at how we've lost nearly all of our manufacturing base ... look at how oil prices keep going through the roof ... look at all the racial hatred and mistrust ... and look at how no one seems to have solutions for these problems and more.

I fear that things are going to get worse before they get better. Glad I never brought a kid into this messed up world. What about you, Do you get an uneasy feeling about this country's future?

Why bring Bush's name into this when, it's Obama who is destroying the American dream of freedom and being a strong nation. Oh by the way look
up how much debt he has racked up since he took office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies