Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:59 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,570,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisjustice View Post
I guess to you Mexico is the example of advanced first world country. When is the last time you saw people from Denemark, Sweden,Switzerland, Finland,Spain,France... trust me the list goes on and on, racing to get through our borders. America is a good country for its citizens, as much as most developed places are for their own citizens. the reason most people rush through American borders, is because the US is the greatest place to make money, so it is purely economics. All that blabbing about rights,freedoms,being welcomed, nothing special about America there, Although i would say that we have the best judicial system and the best bill of rights ever, sadly a lot of that we might lose, if we keep voting for leaders who are willing to take that aways fom us.
Well, OK, if you want to INSIST...maybe we DO have a few constitutional rights, rule of law, etc.....a few protections for illegal immigrants, and maybe a few of them DO get to stay a few months and make a few bucks.....

But we're still MEAN.....and we're STILL not a "nice" country.....haven't you been reading these posts?.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 03:23 AM

44 posts, read 75,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Well, OK, if you want to INSIST...maybe we DO have a few constitutional rights, rule of law, etc.....a few protections for illegal immigrants, and maybe a few of them DO get to stay a few months and make a few bucks.....

But we're still MEAN.....and we're STILL not a "nice" country.....haven't you been reading these posts?.....
I see where you are going with this, LOL. My bigger issues with our government are in the foreign policy department, no wonder we are hated all around the world, it would have been crazy not to.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:25 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,793,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I will one up that, and say the Constitution of the United States of America are the best things here
The Constitution is only as good as the United States Supreme Court as has been proven in many decisons that they have made which are obviously afoul of the language in the Constitution (Dred Scott, Kelo)

Old 03-17-2008, 09:54 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,570,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisjustice View Post
I see where you are going with this, LOL. My bigger issues with our government are in the foreign policy department, no wonder we are hated all around the world, it would have been crazy not to.
My only point was that "being hated" is often a VERY subjective thing. There are GOOD reasons to be hated, and bad ones. It's good to be "on our toes" and keep our "house in order"....but it's hard for me to take it TOO seriously, just because I hear that someone hates us. I'd have to know a little more ABOUT it, first.

After ALL, aren't the police "hated" by certain folks? Don't a LOT of people hate teachers? Or rich people? Or minorities? Or judges? Or women? Or whites? Or men? ALL these are 'hated' by some people. For good reason? Maybe, maybe not....

Old 03-17-2008, 10:07 AM

110 posts, read 292,903 times
I am suspect of anyone who wraps themselves in a flag, especially the ones who leave their profile blank. I served, glad I did and feel everyone has an obligation to do so.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:20 AM

184 posts, read 552,175 times
All these people who constantly claim that the United States is great because we have "Freedoms" and are not censored obviously have little to no knowledge of the world.

We are great for a number of different reasons. The fact that we have freedom of the press is not one of them...every democracy in the world has them. Yes even those evil 3rd world countries

Old 03-17-2008, 03:53 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,690,242 times
Default Being Great and staying Great

To have freedom is what is great.. but since the founding of this country freedom for all men as gone thru some much needed changes.

Our Government was founded to protect all individuals rights in our constitution. Thru out most of history Governments have taken away those rights and restricted freedom. Just as our government have eroded the 1st and 2nd amendments and other protected forms of checks and balances in our system. Most importantly individual liberty and justice in our system of government seems to be corrupted and I fear unless good men and women who belive in our founding princples and get government limited in it's power America will no longer be.

In AMERICA I repeat AMERICA we find those who stand up for the constitution are considered kooks, crazy and out of touch. Often I question what country I am living in? Sometimes I can't believe what I'm seeing and hearing. Our current government views it's citizens as classes of rich, poor, middle. We are an income level to them and the government sees people as revenue to increase the money and power to the state. As an American I believe you have rights as an Individual... When I say Rights... I dont mean the right to free education and the right to free health care those are not rights they are more government programs. My rights to live and pursuit happiness without the government stealing from me to pay for another. My right to self-govern and to have personal responsiblity for actions and well being. I should be able to carry a gun without harsement from my government to protect my life from those would do me harm and from my own government. I am equal as an individual in the eyes of the creator and those rights shall not be infringed by the government for whatever program they deem to be doing good. For some working familes trying to support the bills and standard of living makes it diffcult if the government is stealing my pay thru taxes and paying for others who do not work. Not only do they take the taxes they create programs full of government corruption and in the end do not supply the service they claim. Donations and charties and groups of individuals who want to change the world without stealing from their fellow citizens should be the goal of any country calling themselves Free men and women. Free to choose your life and take the responsiblity of your life. Government has a role in protecting life and protecting the Individuals rights. The role of government should be limited in order for free people to make the choices that shape their futures and most importantly giving Americans a place where new deals and commerce can breath. With freedom we are the richest, not just in money but ideas, a place where the best strive to be better giving us the newest world changing inventions. Because of freedom people have created the industrial world which gives a chance to wipe out diseases and electricity in every American home. I fear soon freedom in America will have been lost not because of the people but by our own government. I work and feel I never get ahead work while the costs of government thru taxes and spendings only increase. The cost of inflation and spending money all over the world is bankrupting our country and after the dust settles they will request more government control which was the problem in the first place. The FED lowers the value of the dollar printing money they do not have bankrupting peoples savings accounts. As we borrow millions from China and other countries to support our governments spending habbits. People retiring on social security are paying taxes on the check they receive while they figure out how to pay for the cost of inflation. These TAXES Leave little room for stable free environments for people to grow and feel good about their futures. At 3 dollars a gallon for gas soon to be 4 or 5, I wonder if maybe the government might consider removing the Gas tax to make it easier for us to pay to get to work. The interest alone on the national debt and our progressive income tax is unamerican and not in line with the princples of our country and it's founding fathers. Will the government ever learn they should balance a budget and work only to protect the constitution and our liberty. Be an example of Freedom in the world don't spread democracy thru nation building. We can't even keep our own borders under control and we are building other nations. I pray soon Americans will some day wake up and see we are fighting for our lives to stay free not from any foreign enemy but from our own government.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present United States Government is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let some of the Facts be submitted to a candid world.
  • <LI class=fontlarge>The US government no longer upholds the princples of the constitution when it is needed the most.<LI class=fontlarge>The US Government has given itself a pension plan and salary increaes while over spending tax dollars and running debit.<LI class=fontlarge>The US Government has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public Records, secret meetings. <LI class=fontlarge>The US Congress pass bills without reading them as they destroy constitutional amendents and create new forms of government and taxes to be laid upon it's people. <LI class=fontlarge>The Us Government has imposed a income tax on labor. <LI class=fontlarge>The US government has refused to secure borders and enforce laws which have been enacted to protect against enemies foreign and domestic. <LI class=fontlarge>The US Government has obstructed the Administration of Justice.<LI class=fontlarge>The US Government has made Judges rulings laws for all Individuals and personal liberty.<LI class=fontlarge>The US Government kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies thru out the world.<LI class=fontlarge>The US Government combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution. <LI class=fontlarge>For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:
  • The US Government has created secret programs and agencies to spy on it's citizens and preformed biological tests on public towns.

Last edited by LibertyandJusticeforAll; 03-17-2008 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-17-2008, 09:05 PM

711 posts, read 934,207 times
IMO we are a great country. I think our potential is larger than our accomplishments for many reasons, some better left undiscussed.

We are however a relatively young country--very young. Problems of democracy are real. The core values are being challenged. They are challenged by unlikely self-interests from within--many times because they CAN be. The outcome is uncertain. We are a resilient country aided greatly by our financial strength. I remain optimistic!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:42 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,315,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskyz View Post
IMO we are a great country.
That's nice, unfortunately US history would say otherwise.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:46 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,315,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskyz View Post
I think our potential is larger than our accomplishments
I can agree with that, but the problem I think, is that our history will keep us from getting there. Our recklessness and irresponsibility in our own country as well as around the world has created too many problems and too many enemies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies