Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 05:43 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Watching that video reminds me of all the frat parties going on in college. Perhaps that is what this actually is to these people, a continuation of just getting pzzzz pants drunk n' high and not having a care in the world for a few days. I'd give it about three weeks to a month and we will see just how happy these individuals are when showing up in numbers at the VD clinics.
Well, um, yes, it is a big party. I'm sure that the people that attend are well aware of that fact.

I've always kind of wanted to go, but I just can't bring myself to camp on a desert flat with no shade in September. I'm a fern, not a lizard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 09:03 PM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
According to Rolling Stone, the guy had to penetrate two security rings to get to the fire - Burning Man Fest: One Dead, Another in Critical Condition - Rolling Stone

Unless he talked to someone before he did it, it might never be known why.
LOL...classic rolling stone...says there were "security rings" but doesn't really describe them, probably waist high orange plastic fence strung between some poles like the kind you see when someone plants grass seed and doesn't want people cutting across.

Nothing negative meant here towards burning man...if they put up just basic barriers OR EVEN NONE, the dude did it to themselves.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:57 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,232,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
LOL...classic rolling stone...says there were "security rings" but doesn't really describe them, probably waist high orange plastic fence strung between some poles like the kind you see when someone plants grass seed and doesn't want people cutting across.

Nothing negative meant here towards burning man...if they put up just basic barriers OR EVEN NONE, the dude did it to themselves.
Ummm, it was a line of actual people, firemen in fire gear.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
To all of those wondering why he wasn't stopped or saved....

1) no one expects someone to run into that fire like that so it just takes a split second.

2) If you're unaware of the festival it's a very large fire, not something you can even stand very close to. Fatal injuries would be received almost immediately, especially if he inhaled and seared his lungs.

RIP
Quote:

So do you, or don't you know about the festival?

Old 09-06-2017, 06:10 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
It's not some hippy event, at least it has not been for decades. It's a big party and networking event for celebrities and CEOs of tech companies. They arrive in private planes and live inside luxury RVs with private chefs.

And when it all ends, they leave a mess behind. The festival used to have a "leave no trace" mantra.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:15 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Ummm, it was a line of actual people, firemen in fire gear.
Where did you read that?

I read the security ring is essentially volunteers out of the crowd.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Where did you read that?

2017 Burning Man Festival Death: Aaron Joel Mitchell dies after diving into fire | Metro News

You can clearly see the firemen.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:21 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,130,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Where did you read that?

They let him by because, since he was butt naked running around like a friggin jackass, they figured he was going to do something really artistic for the crowd once he got near the burning structure.

Seriously, there's almost always at least one of these people weeded out during this wacked out festivity. I remember reading years back where one guy was hanging in his tent and everyone who walked past just figured he was doing some weird artistic "thing". Eventually a few hours pass and someone got the hint that he was hanging there dead as a doornail.

Last edited by FC76-81; 09-06-2017 at 11:30 AM..

Old 09-06-2017, 11:45 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Apparently this has been attempted several times before. Perhaps in a drug induced haze, trying to become one with the Burning Man.

Sad and what a horrific way to go.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:51 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,130,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Apparently this has been attempted several times before. Perhaps in a drug induced haze, trying to become one with the Burning Man.

Sad and what a horrific way to go.
Look on the bright side. He died doing what he loved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies