Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 03:23 AM

51,659 posts, read 25,891,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Interestingly enough, very few of them gave me any crap after the cops left the room. Besides I was the one with the needles, the drugs and the food. I always explained to them that I was not a cop.

ER nurses are trained to diffuse situations. Most of the time it works.
When you couldn't diffuse a situation, say the person was having mental health issues and reason didn't help, did you call for police assistance or did you call the hospital security staff for help?

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 09-08-2017 at 03:47 AM..

Old 09-08-2017, 03:52 AM

51,659 posts, read 25,891,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I do no agree with the way the cop handled the situation. It could have better so easily. However the hospital are a bunch of idiots in this situation as well. In over 20 years as a cop I never once gave a nurse or a Dr a summons. I always extended professional courtesy in every situation. Its common practice across this country for LE to work hand and hand with medical professionals. Trust me if they want to screw with the cops that's their procreative. However trust me there is a million more ways the cops can make their lives miserable.
Are you really a retired cop?

I've known tons of cops and not a one would demand that nurses break the law, risk their license, and quit protecting their patients in order to "extend professional courtesy."

Nor have I ever observed a cop threaten to make nurses' lives miserable for whatever reason.

Not a single one.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 09-08-2017 at 04:42 AM..

Old 09-08-2017, 07:29 AM

4,156 posts, read 2,848,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Interestingly enough, very few of them gave me any crap after the cops left the room. Besides I was the one with the needles, the drugs and the food. I always explained to them that I was not a cop.

ER nurses are trained to diffuse situations. Most of the time it works.
Yep, I've seen that happen too, and the opposite.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:33 AM

5,865 posts, read 3,308,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Are you really a retired cop?

I've known tons of cops and not a one would demand that nurses break the law, risk their license, and quit protecting their patients in order to "extend professional courtesy."

Nor have I ever observed a cop threaten to make nurses' lives miserable for whatever reason.

Not a single one.
If you read my later post I clarified what I was saying. What I meant to say was not the nurses actions were wrong at all. I 100% agree with the nurse in this situation. Where I take issue is now the hospital will no longer allow the cops in the ED. I think that's shortsighted. BTW I will give you an example of what happened to me. Years ago I locked up a woman for DWI. She crashed her car into several other parked cars. She was drunk beyond belief. Her daughter was a nurse in a ED that we used to go to all the time. I was threatened by the nurse that I better never show up in that ED again. I was also told that god forbid any of our cops showed up that it would not be good for them. I responded no problem. Anytime any of your nurses get pulled over there will be no professional courtesy extended. Um I got an apology in minutes.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:06 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,708,160 times
Quote:
Anytime any of your nurses get pulled over there will be no professional courtesy extended. Um I got an apology in minutes.
Nurses don't need or want "professional courtesy" - the last time I got pulled over, "retired cop" was a "rookie cop".. it's been that long ...

you can't get or keep a nursing license if you're someone who has regular contact with law enforcement.

That's the entire problem with this case - officer payne basically arrested Mary Poppins.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,295,161 times
Quote:
If you read my later post I clarified what I was saying. What I meant to say was not the nurses actions were wrong at all. I 100% agree with the nurse in this situation. Where I take issue is now the hospital will no longer allow the cops in the ED. I think that's shortsighted. BTW I will give you an example of what happened to me. Years ago I locked up a woman for DWI. She crashed her car into several other parked cars. She was drunk beyond belief. Her daughter was a nurse in a ED that we used to go to all the time. I was threatened by the nurse that I better never show up in that ED again. I was also told that god forbid any of our cops showed up that it would not be good for them. I responded no problem. Anytime any of your nurses get pulled over there will be no professional courtesy extended. Um I got an apology in minutes.
Another reason the police aren't respected. Pull over a nurse and wink and send her on her way. Be a cashier and there goes your pay check.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:36 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,342,034 times
Quote:
Is "professional courtesy" a euphemism for letting certain people get away with stuff?

Old 09-08-2017, 11:55 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times
Quote:
There should not be.

I mean do you or anyone you know have one ounce of integrity?

If you pull me over for speeding and I've been speeding, I will take the ticket. And I have.

People who play the professional courtesy card to get out of crimes are not good people.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:29 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,114,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Is "professional courtesy" a euphemism for letting certain people get away with stuff?
You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:38 PM

5,865 posts, read 3,308,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There should not be.

I mean do you or anyone you know have one ounce of integrity?

If you pull me over for speeding and I've been speeding, I will take the ticket. And I have.

People who play the professional courtesy card to get out of crimes are not good people.
LOL. I never once gave someone in the medical profession a ticket. I never once gave any civil servant a ticket. I pulled over thousands of people over the years that I let go because of what they did for a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies