Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 11:52 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
My understanding was these were mostly 501(C)4's that were already previously approved.
Your "understanding" does not interest me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 11:58 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
BS. Why did she plead the 5th and then resign? She should be in prison.
She should lose her government pension at least.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:00 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Your statement doesn't seem to make sense.

"numerous groups targeted by the IRS in the same time span with different political ideologies"

Yes, multiple groups with different political ideologies were targeted.

"only Conservative group were targeted"

How, can it be "only conservative" if multiple groups with different ideologies were targeted?

I'm not sure what you are claiming was illegal.
You are quoting me out of context, of course it will not make sense.

What I said was:
Quote:
only Conservative group were targeted because of their specific political ideology
Quote:
My understanding of the issue the IG identified was that the methodology the IRS used would tend to result in more conservative groups being selected for more intense investigation. It did not have to do with their ideology.
The criteria was any group with "Tea Party" in their name. That has everything to do with political ideology and it's illegal. There was other Conservative groups targeted to, no such liberal groups were flagged because of their ideology.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:01 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You are quoting me out of context, of course it will not make sense.

What I said was:

The criteria was any group with "Tea Party" in their name. That has everything to do with political ideology and it's illegal. There was other Conservative groups targeted to, no such liberal groups were flagged because of their ideology.
How about "Sink the Tea Party"?

More seriously what law was violated? If the IRS had a belief that many or most "Tea Party" organizations were cheating on the requirements I don't see a law violation.

Now is someone at the IRS said to interfere with the conservative organizations I certainly see a problem.

I don't think the IRS even has to be correct, But I would think they could go after any group of which they had suspicions. This is not a court. And there is no innocent until proven guilty.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:39 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

More seriously what law was violated? If the IRS had a belief that many or most "Tea Party" organizations were cheating on the requirements I don't see a law violation.
One CAN NOT cheat before being approved for the designation.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:50 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
One CAN NOT cheat before being approved for the designation.
You can perfectly well request a status for which you are not eligible. That is a cheat.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:17 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
If Lois Lerner had targeted Left wing groups

Old 09-11-2017, 04:25 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
I hope the Rs are as excited about prison terms when team Mueller goes after Trump and the Gang.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

More seriously what law was violated?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Protection_Clause

Quote:
If the IRS had a belief that many or most "Tea Party" organizations were cheating on the requirements I don't see a law violation.

Now is someone at the IRS said to interfere with the conservative organizations I certainly see a problem.
You could never separate the two. Do you understand the implications of what you are suggesting?

Old 09-11-2017, 06:36 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Your "understanding" does not interest me.
Well the fact that no applications from conservative groups were rejected should be of interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies