Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 08:30 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,136,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by google85 View Post
Why the US has the most mass shootings? If you take India, millions of people live there. They speak the different language, different religion, culture, etc. but still they don't kill each other. I do not deny the fact that they have other issues, but when I googled it, I couldn't find any mass shooting except terrorist attach.What are the points we are missing here?

Accessibility to guns
There is no strong family support
mental health and access to healthcare
Here there is no 2nd chance, for example, one time if you go to jail there is no way you can change your life back to normal
India condones throwing acid in girls faces. Or worse. Troll post.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:30 AM

14,823 posts, read 12,070,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You mean in countries where guns are not allowed... not "harder to get"... it rarely happens because of the absence of guns... not the absence of violence...
No, 'better licenced', I don't know any countries where guns 'are not allowed'?

Old 02-15-2018, 08:31 AM

17,663 posts, read 17,797,686 times
Anti-gun people automatically list guns as the number one reason. However our country has had guns and a greater number of family homes with guns for many years. In fact, some public schools even had shooting classes and it was common in some school districts for high school students to bring their guns to school in their vehicles and such shootings were very uncommon except for urban areas rife with gang violence.

One issue I believe is part of the problem is the "every one is special" type education. Students must be allowed to learn to deal with failure. Another issue is the school faculty who give lip service towards dealing with bullying but in practice are afraid of punishing the bullies. Instead they quickly punish the bullied person for fighting or standing up to the person doing the bullying. What's worse is those teachers who send the problem student/bully to the principal's office are left frustrated to see the principal just sent the jerk right back to class to continue the same behavior. In decades past this would not happen. Power today is with the students/bullies instead of with the teachers. So what's a bullied student to do? In today's student culture if you try to fight the bully, you end up fighting him and all his friends at the same time. Report him to the teacher and the teacher is powerless to stop the bully. The bullied feels he's left with two basic options, suicide or murder. It helps if the person bullied has friends to fall back on for support but not everyone has such support. At one time teachers and principals knew who were the trouble makers and when the person bullied fought back they knew to punish the bully and not the one being bullied.

19,737 posts, read 10,173,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Why does a 19 year old have automatic weapons? Who failed there?
The government. He passed a background check and the FBI had been warned.

27,307 posts, read 16,262,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Hey, gun fetishers, you don't need to pull out the NRA talking points. You won. You have your guns and they're not going anywhere. You can have as many as you want with cop killer bullets, too.

Gun massacres will continue. There will be another one within a couple months. We'll all talk about it for a day and a half, politicians will offer their "thoughts and prayers," the NRA will strike more fear and send more money to Congress, and then we'll all get back to normal because we accept all this. Kids are collateral damage and will not interfere with your rights.
Feel free to immigrate to the gun free country of your choice.

North Korea comes to mind.

Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,072,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
I just can’t get on board with the whole gun control argument when it comes to school shootings. There are posts in FB stating that “we love our guns more than our children”. If guns were the problem, why were there no school shooting 50 years ago when the NRA had teachers teaching children gun safety in the classroom? Isn’t more about the desensitizing of children? Violent movies and video games....parents no longer involved?
Forgive my ignorance but what guns were accessible to public in the 1970's. My limited knowledge only knows of slow loading revolvers, shot guns, bolt action rifles. Were auto's and semi auto's around during those times.

I'm not seeing "mass shootings" happening with the gun mentioned above. The lines are blurred on this gun argument b/c some are taking an all or nothing approach meaning all guns are bad or you can't touch my "gun" (no matter what is available today or coming out tomorrow so long as it's name gun). And the other side is not being specific enough "all the time" allowing people to miss-understand what exactly the issue is. Gun control / Gun rights. These two talking points are so broad that the issue beneath them are always glanced over.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:32 AM

17,663 posts, read 17,797,686 times
Quote:
He didn't have an automatic weapon.

50,488 posts, read 47,254,503 times
Quote:
Yep. And what do we do about it? We make sure no laws are written that could even minimally restrict access to guns by people who are mentally ill. Nope, the 2nd Amendment never said anything about mental competence, so it's every nutjob's right to own as many guns as he wants.

Then we make sure to cut access to healthcare for those mentally ill people, because, you know, that makes sense.

That's American logic when it comes to guns.
What law do you suggest? What symptom does this guy have?

5,438 posts, read 5,956,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Unfortunately, Columnbine started a cultural fascination with school shootings among young people in this country. There is no way to unring that bell. I think we are doing what needs to be done. The problem is that the government is not doing its job. The FBI was warned about this kid; everyone knew what he was going to do, and the government failed to act.
The shooters hated God too. All of this mayhem going on nowadays is attributed to certain people's hatred for God.

9,267 posts, read 5,136,240 times
Quote:
Wonder about how he got the guns, but must correct you about the "automatic" weapon part. Was it intentional?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies