Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 08:38 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
Forgive my ignorance but what guns were accessible to public in the 1970's. My limited knowledge only knows of slow loading revolvers, shot guns, bolt action rifles. Were auto's and semi auto's around during those times.

I'm not seeing "mass shootings" happening with the gun mentioned above. The lines are blurred on this gun argument b/c some are taking an all or nothing approach meaning all guns are bad or you can't touch my "gun" (no matter what is available today or coming out tomorrow so long as it's name gun). And the other side is not being specific enough "all the time" allowing people to miss-understand what exactly the issue is. Gun control / Gun rights. These two talking points are so broad that the issue beneath them are always glanced over.
I had a semi-auto rifle in 1956 when I was 8 years old.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:38 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
The shooters hated God too. All of this mayhem going on nowadays is attributed to certain people's hatred for God.
Yep. If we could just get God and Jesus back into schools, all of the bullying and shooting would stop.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:40 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Rights can change. The world has changed. The constitution was written a very long time ago when the world was entirely different.

I think using the rights argument against changes is as weak as those who say to abolish guns altogether. If you can't simply admit something has to change then you're just wrong. And the right BS is way overused. Peoples toes will have to get stepped on with change, toes on both sides of the fence.
No God given(natural) rights then? Rights of circumstance only? I say a society that cannot handle the rights it has inherited is not adequate to the task of deciding which rights it shall secure for its children.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:42 AM

34,236 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The US has TWENTY TIMES the shot to death rate compared to most other 'first' world nations that have better gun licencing and stricter gun laws, is that really surprising? Not to anybody that has an ounce of sense it isn't.
And MOST of them are gang on gang, inner city violence, and suicides. Address the PEOPLE problem, not the tool used. Take the incentives for murder away from inner city Black males.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:42 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,070,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Model 1911 .45 is an automatic pistol that has been around since the early part of the 20th century. The M1 Garland is an auto loading rifle used in WWII.

Auto loading weapons have been around for over 100 years.

I can reload a revolver in 3 seconds or less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I had a semi-auto rifle in 1956 when I was 8 years old.
Thanks, I'm trying my best to be more educated on they present times are any different than decades ago?

Old 02-15-2018, 08:43 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,931,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
And yet, and yet, in countries where it's harder to get a gun, these things rarely happen. In this country, we are awash in them with practically free-reign. No questions asked, even for an AR-15.
You are wasting your energy trying to reason with the gun fetishists. Guns and dollars will win out over human life, every single time. Reality is that this is a huge country with enormous population. Odds are slim that one of these shootings will affect the gun freaks. Until that happens, it's someone else's problem.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:44 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You're not really going to try to make that distinction with a straight face are you? Doesn't matter a bit whether it was semi automatic or fully automatic. Reality remains that it was a weapon of mass lethality and it was very, very, effective at rapidly slaughtering innocent human beings. No one cares about that distinction other than the gun fetishists.
Almost all guns are semi-auto, even revolvers. Any gun that fires one round with each trigger pull. A fully automatic fires as long as the trigger is held in until it is empty.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:45 AM

17,627 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Quote:
You're not really going to try to make that distinction with a straight face are you? Doesn't matter a bit whether it was semi automatic or fully automatic. Reality remains that it was a weapon of mass lethality and it was very, very, effective at rapidly slaughtering innocent human beings. No one cares about that distinction other than the gun fetishists.
There is a big difference if you've ever had the opportunity to shoot a semi-automatic and fully automatic rifle.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:45 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Hey, gun fetishers, you don't need to pull out the NRA talking points. You won. You have your guns and they're not going anywhere. You can have as many as you want with cop killer bullets, too.

Gun massacres will continue. There will be another one within a couple months. We'll all talk about it for a day and a half, politicians will offer their "thoughts and prayers," the NRA will strike more fear and send more money to Congress, and then we'll all get back to normal because we accept all this. Kids are collateral damage and will not interfere with your rights.
Hoplophobe much?

Old 02-15-2018, 08:47 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
You are wasting your energy trying to reason with the gun fetishists. Guns and dollars will win out over human life, every single time. Reality is that this is a huge country with enormous population. Odds are slim that one of these shootings will affect the gun freaks. Until that happens, it's someone else's problem.
Less than 1/10 of 1% chance you'll die in a mass shooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies