Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 08:09 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
Who do the trade unions work for mainly? Corporations. And they stifle out completion for the jobs. Again, they were probably called for at one time, but now operate like monopolies and rackets in many respects. They may still have their place but are in no way free from scrutiny nor should they be.

You call the corporation 'The well equipped platoon' but fail to see or acknowledge that is what the unions themselves became in many ways, the cronies for corporations. Have you watched 'On the Waterfront'? Is that corporate propaganda?

Every company and person should be able to compete for the same jobs. Unions do not always let that happen obviously.
All that does is drive down wages
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 10:02 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,557,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
All that does is drive down wages
Still better than $0 and a hell lot better than negative.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:31 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,382,928 times
Such sad threads, always defending the rich, no matter how much money they take out of your own pocket. No one is punishing the rich, and that is the problem. When the banks failed, who bailed them out? The poor and just about everyone who was not in the top top 1%. If anything, the top richest ppl in the country are making out pretty damn good. They essentially control this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
That's the thing. It's already even. They created the business and the wealth in the first place, and are now offering people some of that wealth as payment for helping them with the more menial work.

I think many people like to believe that they're owed more from the rich simply for existing, (Not all, obviously) and it doesn't help when that narrative is pushed by those with a political agenda.
No. They are not offering anything but the subsistence salary they live on. Rather they are exploiting people while they hoard billions for themselves.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:19 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,668 times
I definitely favour helping the working class (of which I am a part) but I'm also not envious of the wealthy or successful. If anything, I'd like to see progress made toward class/name blind job applications. I've had a hard time finding work in my field in the US (whereas I've had a much easier time overseas).

Old 11-15-2017, 03:27 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Such sad threads, always defending the rich, no matter how much money they take out of your own pocket. No one is punishing the rich, and that is the problem. When the banks failed, who bailed them out? The poor and just about everyone who was not in the top top 1%. If anything, the top richest ppl in the country are making out pretty damn good. They essentially control this country.

No. They are not offering anything but the subsistence salary they live on. Rather they are exploiting people while they hoard billions for themselves.
I do believe that if taxes are involved, everyone should benefit. I think this will make the language clearer and more accessible. If a rich person can benefit from a loss, I want to see how and why. Trying to figure out ways to tax only the rich seems to have created loopholes and other opportunities to interpret taxes in creative ways. That's what rich do, find a way to work around it. It's what I would do.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:35 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
As has been show to you, the poor are frivolously wasting billions of dollars of tax payer money on non- essentials.

Fix that instead of sticking your hand out again.

Most poor just waste money (soda, drugs and gambling) when you give it to them, which proves they are not poor in the first place.

You continue to pretend the money for welfare just magically appears out of thin air. It doesn't. It's taken from anyone paying more than their fair share of tax and given to the poor so they can make themselves sick. They do not use it to better themselves or build a ladder out of their financial situation.
So more poor bashing and no concrete examples? Par for the course.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
But you have completely failed in providing examples where an even more callous dog-eat-dog style society as seen in Latin America actually is beneficial for the poor.
Right. Its just more poor bashing without a lick of empirical evidence on their side.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Once again, you've been shown what the "poor" do with money confiscated from the rich.

Why on earth would we be trying to benefit them more?

They are poor because of who they are and what they do. Not because the rich are rich.

If you enjoy banging your head against a brick wall and getting no where, don't force others to join you.
Once again, you've failed to show why your way works better than other proven ways.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I think you're attempting to compare our welfare system to that of some European countries. You have probably gone to Europe and thought there weren't any poor people in your view in the inner cities. Well, I'll tell you, there are many more poor people in Europe than there are in the US. The only difference is the way they are measured. Poor people in Europe have much less of a chance of getting ahead than the so called poor in America.
Fascinating.

Links?

Old 11-15-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
The topic title is help the poor or punish the rich. Those programs exist already, why do you want to punish the rich? Or give even more to the poor, that can't seem to get our of their own way.
Not to the extent they should...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies