Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 01:55 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,742,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Gee, pages and pages later and no one can come up with a quick list of successful countries which have super low taxes, corporation-friendly laws, anti-worker laws, little to no social safety nets...hmmm.
I have yet to see a substantive explanation of modern Republican tax policy either, and why it works, and what it should achieve. All we see here is moralizing about how poor people as a whole are these slovenly animals that deserve to suffer, and how it's oh so wrong to demand a penny from the rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 01:56 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,981,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Don't know. That number doesn't tell me much about the cost to the tax payer and the local COL. Is it temporary or permanent? For what disability? Are you talking about a broken foot? A veg person?

What does this have to do with punishing rich to help able bodied poor?
People who are BORN disabled get $700 to survive on. The same is true for people who got disabled as a child, like in a car accident. These people constitute an important part of the poor in America. They can NOT work. Do you think they should get more than $700 a month to survive on? Are you able to answer?

Old 11-14-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Higher taxes on everyone.
You want much higher taxes on yourself and people making a million a year? And much stronger unions? Do you not recall the posts you have made where you advocate for the OPPOSITE? You are just trying to pull the wool over people's eyes. You do not want higher taxes on the rich and much stronger unions. Dont fool yourself.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
If you care about the poor in this country, then why do they have such poor health? Why are food stamps spent on soda? Why are the poor so fat?

I have contempt for anyone who steals, especially if they use the proceeds to eat themselves into oblivion (creating a need for even more money for HC). If they took just enough for basic shared housing in low COL areas, shared bulk food purchases of beans, rice and milk etc and used their time trying to help the truly poor in the 3rd world, that would be different, but the vast majorly don't.

No matter how much they are given they will ALWAYS cry poor and demand more. Meanwhile, they have enough money to gamble, use drugs and over eat to the point of obesity. Not to mention the large families they have, that they can't afford. Where is the personal responsibility?

The truly disabled (obesity doesn't count) and mentally ill are a different story and i have no problem donating money towards a basic quality of life. But I'm not going to give them enough rope to hang themselves.

People in 3rd world counties have it way worse than the "poor" in America. They should be our concern, no the vast majority of people on benefits here in the USA. We see what they do with the money, and it isn't pretty. It's self destructive.
Those are some big assumptions you're making. How do you know that most poor people steal, or better yet, what's the basis for your knowledge of how most people on food stamps allocate their allotment? You also assume that most poor people are obese, and seem to imply that as a whole they all use drugs and gamble. Again, what's your basis for this? These sweeping generalizations seem to me to depict a caricature of poor people rather than an accurate reflection of what most of them go through on a day to day basis.

Let's say that I'm right and you're wrong, that your depiction represents a minority rather than a majority of the poor. Should the majority suffer because of the acts of the minority? I don't think so.

Again, it still seems rather odd that you hold poor people in disdain for not making donations to even poorer people.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:09 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,292,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Gee, pages and pages later and no one can come up with a quick list of successful countries which have super low taxes, corporation-friendly laws, anti-worker laws, little to no social safety nets...hmmm.
Likewise, nobody has come up with a valid reason for punishing (stealing from) the rich to give to the poor uneducated unskilled people that have no right to other peoples property.

I make a certain amount of money, live in expensive SoCal, and manage to live within my means. I adjust my lifestyle to what suits me based on my priorities. I can afford a Porsche 911 gt3 RS, but I would barely be able to eat. Illegal aliens live with 10 working adults in a house hold and still manage to eat out, have drinks and have iPhones. The bleeding hearts have no sense of responsibility and accountability.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:12 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,292,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
People who are BORN disabled get $700 to survive on. The same is true for people who got disabled as a child, like in a car accident. These people constitute an important part of the poor in America. They can NOT work. Do you think they should get more than $700 a month to survive on? Are you able to answer?
Ok, sure. They can get $700 a month based on what you told me. What's your point? Well I know you're point, it's fear mongering of leaving disabled children to die in the streets. Can we get back on topic?

Old 11-14-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Likewise, nobody has come up with a valid reason for punishing (stealing from) the rich to give to the poor uneducated unskilled people that have no right to other peoples property.

I make a certain amount of money, live in expensive SoCal, and manage to live within my means. I adjust my lifestyle to what suits me based on my priorities. I can afford a Porsche 911 gt3 RS, but I would barely be able to eat. Illegal aliens live with 10 working adults in a house hold and still manage to eat out, have drinks and have iPhones. The bleeding hearts have no sense of responsibility and accountability.
Funny how you guys can't seem to take a position without making massive assumptions about poor people or inventing some type of bogeyman, whether it be the "welfare queen" or the "big spending illegal" as you just pointed out. I admit, the latter's a new one for me.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Ok, sure. They can get $700 a month based on what you told me. What's your point? Well I know you're point, it's fear mongering of leaving disabled children to die in the streets. Can we get back on topic?
So you are against increasing the $700 support the people who were born disabled get? I have not mentioned anything about children. A person might have been born 50 years ago. Born disabled. The topic is clear: Helping the poor vs punishing the rich. You seem to have difficulties understanding that the disabled are part of the poor group. The OP only talks about "the poor". That of course includes all poor people.

But you think $700 is enough for the disabled? They dont need anymore because we need to stop "punishing the rich"?

Old 11-14-2017, 02:17 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,840,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Those are some big assumptions you're making. How do you know that most poor people steal, or better yet, what's the basis for your knowledge of how most people on food stamps allocate their allotment? You also assume that most poor people are obese, and seem to imply that as a whole they all use drugs and gamble. Again, what's your basis for this? These sweeping generalizations seem to me depict a caricature of poor people rather than accurate reflection of what most of them go through on a day to day basis.

Let's say that I'm right and you're wrong, that your depiction represents a minority rather than a majority of the poor. Should the majority suffer because of the acts of the minority? I don't think so.

Open your eyes. Here's just one example.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/13/w...snap-soda.html

Quote:
What do households on food stamps buy at the grocery store?
The answer was largely a mystery until now. The United States Department of Agriculture, which oversees the $74 billion food stamp program called SNAP, has published a detailed report that provides a glimpse into the shopping cart of the typical household that receives food stamps.
The findings show that the No. 1 purchases by SNAP households are soft drinks, which accounted for 5 percent of the dollars they spent on food. The category of ‘sweetened beverages,’ which includes soft drinks, fruit juices, energy drinks and sweetened teas, accounted for almost 10 percent of the dollars they spent on food. “In this sense, SNAP is a multibillion-dollar taxpayer subsidy of the soda industry,” said Marion Nestle, a professor of nutrition, food studies and public health at New York University. “It’s pretty shocking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Again, it still seems rather odd that you hold poor people in disdain for not making donations to even poorer people.
If they can afford soda, then they can afford to "play it forward" to the actual poor people in the 3rd world. But somehow they need more money from the rich, while they drink soda to the point of obesity while others die of starvation. If they gave up soda, they could save millions of lives, but they don't. Such a classic example of "do as I say, not as I do".

Gambling.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...-shame/392870/

Quote:
But it’s the poor who are really losing. The poorest third of households buy half of all lotto tickets, according to a Duke University study in the 1980s, in part because lotteries are advertised most aggressively in poorer neighborhoods. A North Carolina report from NC Policy Watch found that the people living in the poorest counties buy the most tickets. "Out of the 20 counties with poverty rates higher than 20 percent, 18 had lottery sales topping the statewide average of $200 per adult," the North Carolina Justice Center reported.
Smoking....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a603c3278cd9

Last edited by Colorado^; 11-14-2017 at 02:31 PM..

Old 11-14-2017, 02:20 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,840,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
So you are against increasing the $700 support the people who were born disabled get? I have not mentioned anything about children. A person might have been born 50 years ago. Born disabled. The topic is clear: Helping the poor vs punishing the rich. You seem to have difficulties understanding that the disabled are part of the poor group. The OP only talks about "the poor". That of course includes all poor people.

But you think $700 is enough for the disabled? They dont need anymore because we need to stop "punishing the rich"?
Maybe take soda and junk food off SNAP approved foods, rather than shake down the rich for even more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies