Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 07:41 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Part of the problem with diversity discussions is that most only see diversity in terms of whites vs everyone else. maineguy8888 has been slammed here for being from a State that has little in the way of racial diversity when he has spoken of cultural and ethnic types of diversity. He is right in that diversity is far more than just race.

I live in rural Vermont which is just as white as Maine yet I would venture that I live in a more diverse community than most here who would judge us negatively for our lack of racial diversity. What am I referring to? Economic and cultural diversity. Rich and poor live side by side, socialize, and function as equal members of the community. I contrast that to the urban/suburban model whereby the affluent live apart from the poor and working classes and then claim superiority because affluent minorities live in the same neighborhoods and attend the same social functions.

In my little hamlet some are natives, some are transplants from very different places. We have multi-millionaires and we have poor people living in rusting old trailers, and the full spectrum in-between. And guess what, we all socialize and function in the community as equals. A summer cookout at one of those old trailers will have that full spectrum in attendance, and the rich will bring a dish like everyone else, and help with the cleanup afterwards like everyone else. They are not viewed or treated as anyone special nor do they treat anyone differently based on economic factors.

Small towns up here have small govt and few town employees. The work is mostly done by volunteers or people paid token amounts. One of our Listers (a key role in Town that manages the Grand List) works a few hours per week for $14/hour. Without pay in the winter he will swing by the Town Hall to shovel the walkway before it opens so that the road crew can focus on the roads. Without pay in the summer he mows and weed whacks around the old one room schoolhouse for the Town. Folks know he isn't poor based on his home/property but few have any inkling he is a multi-millionaire.

Neighbors look after their elderly/infirm neighbors in whatever capacity is needed be it making a meal, mowing the lawn/shoveling snow, bringing in the mail etc. Do the young urban hipsters smug in the fact their social circle is racially diverse interact with or assist the elderly and frail in their environs, or do they stick with their narrow cultural demographic?

I posit that I live and function in greater diversity than most who can't see beyond the fact that it is a 100% white community. Diversity is not just color.
lmao.. this is hilarious.

yo don't live in a diverse area. You live in a white area with rich and poor people.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
In my area, there has ALWAYS been lots "Diversity". But they didn't care about that, back in the old days. It was a meaningless term to them. Even just fifty-sixty years ago.
All that DID matter was working hard and making money, whatever your ethnic background (and church, for most of them). When that's all you're focused on, then people get along great. And everybody prospers, oddly enogh.

Today, this phony push for "Diversity" has pushed all of that aside.
So, diversity has always been around, and you had no issues with it, but now you are mad because people call it for what it is?

Old 11-27-2017, 07:59 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why do you all automatically assume diversity means race?
Apple's first vice president of 'diversity and inclusion' [a black woman] was fired for daring NOT to automatically assume that.

Apple Fired Its Black Diversity Chief | The Daily Caller

Old 11-27-2017, 09:55 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
In my area, there has ALWAYS been lots "Diversity". But they didn't care about that, back in the old days. It was a meaningless term to them. Even just fifty-sixty years ago.
All that DID matter was working hard and making money, whatever your ethnic background (and church, for most of them). When that's all you're focused on, then people get along great. And everybody prospers, oddly enogh.

Today, this phony push for "Diversity" has pushed all of that aside.
White supremacists and their sympathizers are the group of Americans with the biggest problem with diversity. Diversity is only a threat to the lowest part of our society. Once the discrimination [primarily by one side] stops, diversity would stop being a divisive subject in our country...

Old 11-27-2017, 10:55 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Man, bet your sorry you started this thread. The zombies came out and will shut you down for having such thoughts.
The goal is to transform our society just like Obama said. Take a look at Lewiston. Anything strange about that picture?
Stay the course.
What's going on in Lewiston??

Old 11-27-2017, 11:17 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
White supremacists and their sympathizers are the group of Americans with the biggest problem with diversity. Diversity is only a threat to the lowest part of our society. Once the discrimination [primarily by one side] stops, diversity would stop being a divisive subject in our country...

Very little diversity in the more affluent neighborhoods, eh pops?

Old 11-27-2017, 11:23 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
And that group (white supremacists, and sympathizers) is EXTREMELY MINUTE, but the Media, Democrats, and the race baiters in the Black community lie, and make it seem like it is a large group, and large problem.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:54 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
lmao.. this is hilarious.

yo don't live in a diverse area. You live in a white area with rich and poor people.
Not ridiculous at all. Economic and cultural diversity is far more significant in everyday life than is racial diversity when the whites/non-whites are all of the same class and have similar backgrounds.

My daughter lives in an upscale suburban area of a major metro area where everyone is affluent and educated. Folks here would applaud it as being diverse because there are affluent educated black families there. I see it as sterile in the sameness of everyone that lives there. It is far from diverse in any meaningful way.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:58 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times
"back in the day our gardeners were Hispanic, the nanny's and maids were black women, black men shined our shoes...we had lots of diversity!"

this is what people sound like.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:21 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
I'm still waiting for the OP to clarify exactly how his town of Caribou, Maine is diverse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies