Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2017, 02:38 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
ever seen a cop that wasnt psycho
Yes, quite a few. Generalizations are never a good thing. Few condemn a bad cop here more than I do but that does not mean they all are bad. I've seen more than one take more lip than I would. On a purely personal level my experience is that the prosecutors office is worse than the police department.

I've not seen a local prosecutor that I'd want to be in the same room with. There are many police officers that have helped out people when they needed them. That have put up with things I never would. I've never met a prosecutor that was interested in anything more than themselves. I've had the local prosecutor lie to my face.

That is just my experience which is limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 05:32 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
"...made a move consistent with reaching towards the waistband..."

Which is interestingly NOT grounds for use of lethal force in the world you and I live in. For us to be justified in killing someone in self defense a lethal threat must be "clear and present" and being directed. If you or I were to shoot an unarmed person is self defense he had better be a 350 pound gorilla who has a record of beating people to death with his bare hands, and even still he had better have actually attacked you with that intent. Witnesses would also probably be needed in order for it to be a clear cut case.

The rules of lethal force for you and I as citizens are quite different from the ROE the cops use. They can kill anyone because they THINK they MIGHT, COULD, make a move (here we go again) "make a move consistent with reaching for a weapon." And when witnesses are needed the blue wall always steps up to cover backs.

Under these rules a 100 pound woman bell ringer for the Salvation Army becomes a "potential threat to officer safety." And the fact she is wearing a uniform would make her a "terrorist threat" as well.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:09 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes, quite a few. Generalizations are never a good thing. Few condemn a bad cop here more than I do but that does not mean they all are bad. I've seen more than one take more lip than I would. On a purely personal level my experience is that the prosecutors office is worse than the police department.

I've not seen a local prosecutor that I'd want to be in the same room with. There are many police officers that have helped out people when they needed them. That have put up with things I never would. I've never met a prosecutor that was interested in anything more than themselves. I've had the local prosecutor lie to my face.

That is just my experience which is limited.
Most prosecutors would kill their firstborn in order to be friends with cops. I don't know why that happens to so many of them but they idolize cops. There was one who would show up a couple times a week for a 'ride along' and I would get stuck with him for a full shift, it was horrible.

I learned the word 'testily' from one of them when I told him that there was no way that I could testify to what he was asking me because I had no knowledge of it, he said "ok then, don't testify, testily ha ha"

Old 12-13-2017, 07:11 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Well, for that, this guy was an ex-marine.

Problem is, police forces will take them because they are ex .mil, and some of these same people are flawed and look at the streets of the USA as the same as they looked at the streets of Fallujah. They treat the citizenry as enemies, right off the bat.
The idea that ex-military make better civilian police needs a very hard analysis.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Which is interestingly NOT grounds for use of lethal force in the world you and I live in. For us to be justified in killing someone in self defense a lethal threat must be "clear and present" and being directed. If you or I were to shoot an unarmed person is self defense he had better be a 350 pound gorilla who has a record of beating people to death with his bare hands, and even still he had better have actually attacked you with that intent. Witnesses would also probably be needed in order for it to be a clear cut case.

The rules of lethal force for you and I as citizens are quite different from the ROE the cops use. They can kill anyone because they THINK they MIGHT, COULD, make a move (here we go again) "make a move consistent with reaching for a weapon." And when witnesses are needed the blue wall always steps up to cover backs.

Under these rules a 100 pound woman bell ringer for the Salvation Army becomes a "potential threat to officer safety." And the fact she is wearing a uniform would make her a "terrorist threat" as well.
Good post. Using that basis, this case we are seeing a straight up murder that any civilian would be getting life.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:16 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The idea that ex-military make better civilian police needs a very hard analysis.
It's hard to avoid hiring ex military because the feds and every state give them preference in civil service hiring, which puts them in the top tier of candidates regardless of their qualifications. In a competitive job like law enforcement where you might get 500 candidates for one job that immediately excludes most people who aren't veterans.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:19 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topman View Post
How many deaths this year by police officers 👮*♀️.
Better question; How many deaths this year by criminals?

Old 12-13-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
So the cops don't kill as many people as criminals.

That's a great comparison to make, really.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:21 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Why is that a better question?

Old 12-13-2017, 07:22 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
So the cops don't kill as many people as criminals.

That's a great comparison to make, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Why is that a better question?
Give it some thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies