Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 01:25 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Trickle down economy does not work. You are so naive to think employers would pay top dollar and hire more employees. They will still go overseas because labor is so much cheaper. This tax plan should have been designed for the middle class and not the 1%
I swear. I see you as reading the beginning of a post, getting upset (and then not bothering to read the rest of the post), going to some talking points file you have on your computer, and then cutting and pasting talking points from that file as your reply. The post you were replying to above happened to mention bed and breakfast places, and also pizza parlors. Bed and breakfast places and independent pizza parlors can't take their operations "overseas because labor is so much cheaper" .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 02:32 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times
Quote:
Trickle down economy does not work. You are so naive to think employers would pay top dollar and hire more employees. They will still go overseas because labor is so much cheaper. This tax plan should have been designed for the middle class and not the 1%

completely off topic in the specific discussion to the poster you was responding to.
but kudos for trying to push the liberal narrative crap of tax cuts to the 1% only.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:14 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I know this will help my small business.
According to my math, mine will be hurt by the fact that the bill will force me to take 70% of income as salary which is subject to 15% payroll tax.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:35 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
Quote:
Me and practically everyone I know make our living because of a trickle down economy. It absolutely does work. Around 25 years or so ago they imposed a 'luxury tax" on "toys" for the rich. It put many people out of work. The tax was lifted and an industry started booming again.

I can only see this tax bill helping people like me, just a regular person doing my best to get by in doing assorted side jobs that I love to do along with my career. Pretty much everyone I know is for this bill.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:25 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Lets see the final determination of debt created.

I have never seen trickle down work in my 61 years.
Open your eyes...

For just one example, this is what the $2 trillion in QE given to Fannie and Freddie has funded:

From foreclosure to home free - NY Times

Tens of thousands, if not more, of homes lived in for free by those 5+ years in default on their mortgages.

How do we know $2 trillion in QE went to Fannie and Freddie (without Congressional approval, by the way)? Just look at the difference in the Federal Reserve's H.4.1s:

The Federal Reserve's Agency (Agency = GSE: Fannie and Freddie) MBS (Mortgage-Backed Securities) in 2008: $0
FRB: H.4.1 Release--Factors Affecting Reserve Balances--December 4, 2008

The Federal Reserve's current Agency (GSE: Fannie and Freddie) MBS: $1.77 Trillion
https://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h41/current/

Anyone think that'll ever get paid back?

Nope. That was $2 trillion in QE created by the Federal Reserve, artificially injected into the economy, devaluing the US dollar, and most of the debt backing those MBS will likely never be paid off.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:30 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Lets see the final determination of debt created.

I have never seen trickle down work in my 61 years. There is always hope that it works.

What will happen when money starts to slow down as more and more get trapped in saving and stocks. Not from the bottom of the population, but from the top and corporations.

The Top just gets more in their pockets which will not increase their own spending. As seen when Cohen was in that group of CEO's who said they would not hire more, they will buy back stock and do more M&A. Jobs lost for the middle as the higher paying jobs become consolidated.
" have never seen trickle down work in my 61 years."

It HAS you just don't accept it and ignore it.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:33 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
According to my math, mine will be hurt by the fact that the bill will force me to take 70% of income as salary which is subject to 15% payroll tax.
Are you set up as a S Corp? If so, it’s a pass through.

You need to talk to your accountant.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:34 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Bill Clinton had balanced budgets and surpluses.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_U...federal_budget
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_U...federal_budget
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_U...federal_budget
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_U...federal_budget

Obama reduced America's deficits by 2/3.
Barack Obama claims deficit has decreased by two-thirds since taking office | PolitiFact

And Hillary Clinton would have kept our national debt at 85%-95% of GDP (while Trump will raise our debt to 110%-145% of GDP.)
Promises and Price Tags: A Fiscal Guide to the 2016 Election | Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget

Donald Trump's budget reduces federal spending by $3.6 trillion dollars over 10 years. The spending cuts will be made to Medicaid, food assistance programs, anti-poverty programs, children's health insurance programs, and programs for elderly and disabled Americans.
Trump budget cuts spending by $3.6 trillion over 10 years, with deep cuts to safety net - Chicago Tribune

Republicans also have plans to reduce spending for Social Security and Medicare.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/republica...230021453.html
Republicans Will Cut Social Security and Medicare After Tax Plan Passes, Says Marco Rubio

But the republican budget cuts will not lower our deficits and national debt growth, because the funding for those programs will be transferred to the wealthy and large corporations via tax cuts, and the funding will also be used to increases military spending. ex.ex.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1BT2PV
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/u...ding-bill.html
"Bill Clinton had balanced budgets and surpluses."

He did NOT.

You forgot that when they did his books, they did NOT include the money he took from Social Security.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Its the one man operations which will be hit the hardest by this bill.
The one man business operations are the majority of small businesses. ( This includes those small businesses who rely on other small businesses and those who employ people off the books, regardless of legality)

How do you think they will be hurt?

Old 12-18-2017, 06:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
I am honestly happy it will help you. But the notion that giving corporations more tax breaks will allow them to hire more people is just BS. They will just line their stock holders pockets with more money. And they will still have their products made overseas because it's cheaper labor. Honestly, how do people not understand this.
Businesses hire people when and more importantly WHERE there is adequate demand for their service/ product. There is an ongoing trend to outsource non core functions to other businesses.

US auto makers have maintained offshore plants for nearly 100 years. It has and will continue to make sense to build where the product will be sold to avoid shipping costs and import taxes. This allows them to compete in other markets.

The number one obligation of senior management at publicly- traded corporations is to increase shareholder value. This is typically done via dividends and/ or stock buy backs. Most of the funds that were repatriated during the Bush Tax Holiday were used to buy back stock, not hire more people.

If the intent was for employers to use the windfall associated reduced taxes to hire more people and/ or increase wages, the tax breaks would have been contingent on doing so.

That the senior management team recieves serious multiples of their annual compensation as bonuses does not necessarily trickle down to the rank and file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies