Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 10:10 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times

Advertisements

Anyone thinking this cold streak proves anything in relation to longterm trends should look at these graphs:

https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/946...211717123?s=17

Notice how the rest of the world is warmer than average - the blob of cold air has descended down from the Arctic, and much of the Arctic is now seeing above average temperatures.

https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/zonal_means/

https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/946...776305152?s=17

This shows temperature anomalies from average temperatures over time and latitude.

https://twitter.com/MichaelEMann/sta...009799682?s=17

The world is seeing far more warm temperature anomalies than cold ones (but of course there are variations over time).

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 01-02-2018 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 10:26 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
There is definitely something wrong!

I live in northern KY, it hasnt been above freezing for close to 12 days!!! and we have been down in single digits for about a week now, and the 10 day forecast is predicting the same thing for at least another week!!

There is something very wrong when its MUCH colder in Kentucky than Alaska!

I really despise winter, and I believe no one should have to live in areas where it literally hurts to go outside, imo, that is not really habitable for humans.

Although when summer comes around, its the same thing, on the opposite extreme, we frequently get very long stretches where its so humid and hot, its not safe to be outside for a long period of time, days where its truly comfortable, are few and far between.

I could understand and probably tolerate if these extreme temps were a one or two day fluke here and there, but when they sink in for 15+ days at a time, its just not bearable.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:53 AM

1,184 posts, read 720,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Anyone thinking this cold streak proves anything in relation to longterm trends should look at these graphs:

https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/946...211717123?s=17

Notice how the rest of the world is warmer than average - the blob of cold air has descended down from the Arctic, and much of the Arctic is now seeing above average temperatures.

https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/zonal_means/

https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/946...776305152?s=17

This shows temperature anomalies from average temperatures over time and latitude.

https://twitter.com/MichaelEMann/sta...009799682?s=17

The world is seeing far more warm temperature anomalies than cold ones (but of course there are variations over time).
This map looks like the electoral college

Old 01-02-2018, 04:29 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,575 times
Ah this old piece of **** argument...Was wondering when we'd see this again.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:30 PM

57,314 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Ah this old piece of **** argument...Was wondering when we'd see this again.
Yes, science is just such nonsense.

I don't know why people spend time to educate the educate the needy with this type of ingratitude.

Lets see your data.

Last edited by Goodnight; 01-02-2018 at 06:33 PM..

Old 01-02-2018, 05:32 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Breaking news -- scientists confirm that there is a difference between climate and weather.
So why did warmers post dire climate topics earch day it got hot last summer?

Old 01-02-2018, 05:39 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
There is definitely something wrong!

I live in northern KY, it hasnt been above freezing for close to 12 days!!! and we have been down in single digits for about a week now, and the 10 day forecast is predicting the same thing for at least another week!!

There is something very wrong when its MUCH colder in Kentucky than Alaska!

I really despise winter, and I believe no one should have to live in areas where it literally hurts to go outside, imo, that is not really habitable for humans.

Although when summer comes around, its the same thing, on the opposite extreme, we frequently get very long stretches where its so humid and hot, its not safe to be outside for a long period of time, days where its truly comfortable, are few and far between.

I could understand and probably tolerate if these extreme temps were a one or two day fluke here and there, but when they sink in for 15+ days at a time, its just not bearable.
Blame AGW. It causes everything.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:08 PM

19,653 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Looks like the Day After Tomorrow is coming the day after tomorrow for the northeast. A bomb cyclone snow storm? wth is that, like an explosive icy tornado? Sounds like a real blast.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:16 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I guarantee you that the OP and the majority of people who will chime in to concur have no understanding of basic science. Trying to explain this to them is like trying to teach calculus to a newborn. The grey matter just isn't developed enough for them to comprehend it. To them, science is a liberal conspiracy.

We are cursed with a really stupid population in this country. The rest of the world is collectively much smarter than the average American, who still thinks global warming is a myth. SMH at the ignorance we are surrounded by.
Yep. One look at the Orange Oaf and his worst supporters makes that part clear. This hilarious ignorance regarding climate vs. weather is just laughably stupid and more anti-science nonsense from the far-right. It's also totally wrong:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marshal...limate-change/

There's the facts. Notice how the big, cold blob is basically only over parts of North America, while the rest of the globe is at or well above normal, with the warm area much larger than the cold area. And this is from Forbes, a RIGHT of center magazine, so one can't even blame it on "whiny liberals," unless we're to believe all the conspiracy nuts who think every fact is a conspiracy.

Listening to right-wingers whine about how climate change can't be possible "because it's cold here in the winter!" is like listening to an ignorant oaf claim that people can't be starving in the world "because my local McDonald's has plenty of food." Duhhhh...

Old 01-02-2018, 08:24 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes, science is just such nonsense.

I don't know why people spend time to educate the educate the needy with this type of ingratitude.

Lets see your data.
I was referring to the OP’s nonsense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies