Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2018, 08:58 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure how relevant it is but sometime between 77 and 81.
$sleepys_post = true;
$relevance = ($sleepys_post == true) ? 'Stereotype' : 'Accurate';
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 08:59 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Help me understand why income and property taxes have been deductible on personal tax returns but not sales taxes? I don't think that was fair. I think all taxes paid by individuals at the state and local level should be deductible from Federal taxable income. If the congress wants to make income taxes progressive it should be on the net.

I am not sure of the statutory basis of the challenge by some states but once I heard that the Federal government could not tax payments made to local states.

I don't recall the reasoning involved, but sales taxes used to be deductible until the 1986 tax reform.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:03 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,801 times
wait..... I thought they were all complaining about how much this tax package was a tax cut for the rich and these guys are thinking about lawsuits because they are rich and it messes up some of their deductions.

the hypocrisy!!

Old 01-02-2018, 09:05 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Funny stuff - the Governors are ignoring the Leftist Party Talking Points that say the Trump Tax Cuts are only for the Evil Rich.

Then would you agree with me that the Trump Tax Cuts are tax cuts for PARENTS?

Old 01-02-2018, 09:06 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
wait..... I thought they were all complaining about how much this tax package was a tax cut for the rich and these guys are thinking about lawsuits because they are rich and it messes up some of their deductions.

the hypocrisy!!
You don't have to be 'rich' to itemize, you just have to pay a lot in SALT / mortgage interest.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:07 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
$sleepys_post = true;
$relevance = ($sleepys_post == true) ? 'Stereotype' : 'Accurate';
very good

Old 01-02-2018, 09:07 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually, I'm retired, so I'm counting on you to remain gainfully employed to keep me in the style to which I'm accustomed.

You know what screws you guys every time? The constant gloom and doom and end of the world predictions.

Reality: in most state and local budgets around 80% is mandated spending (Maryland's is 82%). So when the various current gubernatorial hopefuls promise something like free college for all they're actually saying "I'm going to increase mandated spending to 85%".

Federal mandated is around 60% or so.

In theory, more money in the pockets of consumers will lead to more economic activity and increase tax collections. Will that happen? Probably, but how much is the question. And it's an aggregate number.

What people always fail to take into account is that businesses aren't taxpayers, they're tax collectors. Every penny of tax levied on a business is baked into every product sold. Cars, clothes, hamburgers, whatever.

And, to show I'm not real probusiness, I will state that in my little corner of the cosmos businesses cost my residents a significant portion of their property tax payments. From business license cost not covering how much it costs to process them, to businesses dumping their trash in public trash cans instead of having a contractor pick it up so our town employees have to take it and dump it to business owners not living in town so we don't get the pittance of personal income tax for them from the state.
I dont think its gloom and doom that people born disabled get only $700 a month to live on now. Its gloom. Really gloomy. Thats the consequences of decades of anti-tax mentality. The notion that tax cuts dont hurt people badly is really dangerous. More cuts will be underway from the already paltry $700 level. I think its appalling. Just in order for the ruling donor class to get even richer so they can buy even more puppets in DC. And no, taxes on businesses are not simply paid by consumers. If that were the case, businesses would not be so livid about it. Stock buybacks, not lower prices will take place as a result of this tax cut. The rich CEOs after all are rewarded when the stock price increases, and the stocks do increase when stock buybacks take place.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:10 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post

the hypocrisy!!
The truly rich dont care about these deductions. The truly rich are the large donors. The owners of America. The top 0.01%.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:10 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
It's too bad that so far in this thread the tax issue can't be discussed in a mature and adult way.

Here's the objective truth: it is bad for the economy and it is bad for America for federal policy to pick winner states and loser states. If Trump wants a strong economy he can't do it without California's tech sector and New York's financial prowess. The blue states need the the industry, energy, and agriculture from the red states. We are the United States and we should be working together.
The left has been crying for the rich to pay their fair share for years now.
Now they are with the restricted deductions.

And your problem ?

Old 01-02-2018, 09:11 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Not really. If you earn more than $200 a month in Alabama, you get no Medicaid, even if you have children. Its basically a death sentence for lots of people. Teachers and law enforcement officers earn close to nothing in places like Oklahoma, Alabama and Arkansas. This is by design.
Link please. I have seen a few leftists promoting this story with nothing to back it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies