Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is at fault for the shutdown?
House/Senate Majority Republicans 138 37.50%
Democrats 171 46.47%
Both 59 16.03%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 07:26 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Because children's healthcare is not a priority to them?
Um... Dems voted AGAINST that in favor of foreign law-violators.

Own it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 07:26 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
LOL! Seriously? Care to share the URL of that Website, "600 monitored Twitter accounts?"
Sure, no problem.

https://dashboard.securingdemocracy.org

It's fascinating to follow.

Many posts on this forum amplify the messages that accounts linked to Russian influence operations are pushing.

Hard to say which posters are unwitting accomplices versus knowing participants.

However, given that many posts on this forum closely correlate with what the Russians are pushing, it's easy to see why some are suspicious that employees of Russian troll farms are posting here.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:27 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We learned he loves America enough to protect us from illegals. DACA needs to take a flying leap.
I couldn't agree more!

Old 01-20-2018, 07:28 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yes all the dems sure did vote against funding to protect something that is illegal.

Yes, a few repubs voted against funding because they wanted more funding for the military....(could have been something else, however, it was NOT to protect something that is illegal).

Now, if you were being intellectually honest, this is a funding bill...how many votes does the senate need to pass a funding bill? 51? Nope...60.....so, thanks chucky shummer....you'd protect illegals rather than feed children....
Cloture needs 60 votes, usually. Bills need 51 votes for passage. Why can’t the GOP govern?

Old 01-20-2018, 07:30 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Bam! Spot on!

Old 01-20-2018, 07:30 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
The Rs are terrible at getting their messaging out. They need more media outlets, and be more aggressive in getting their facts and policies known. The Ds control too much of the media, entertainment industry, social media and education system.

It's taken months until finally Americans are waking up from the fake news and indoctrination the Ds spewed about the tax bill.
Today the poll showed 42% of Americans are now favoring it! After February pay checks, I imagine it will go up a lot more.
The Dems certainly don't control talk radio.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:32 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,037,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I read the comments on here from long time posters and think you just don't get it. You are so embedded in defending your parties and not thinking about the country and people as a whole.

These are elected officials - who more times than not vote - not in the best interest of the people that got them elected - but for their own pocket book and chance for re-election.

The American people got it right electing Trump - not the man - but the principle that we are sick of all these partisan politics and yet politicians still don't get it.

Continue to name call and play the blame game - in the end - it's the American people that suffer. It's time all of you - with the best intentions I'm sure - realize that you can't help everyone - there are limits and perimeters. I'd love to adopt every rescue dog I see on the net and in the pound - unfortunately - my budget does not allow that and I have to give the best life I can to the rescues I now own. Many of you live in another dimension which seems to have endless resources - that is not the world we live in today - accept that.
You must have said something equally spot-on because I can't rep this.

I'm in the middle of this thread and still waiting to come across a post from Natalie where she answers a question she's been asked repeatedly: what about the immigrants who have been going through the process the right way - waiting sometimes for years to receive the things Natalie thinks should be handed out freely to those here who have zero intention of following a legal path to citizenship?

No support of those people, Natalie? Just crickets?

Old 01-20-2018, 07:33 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Nice try. You're parroting.

You do realize that it requires 60 votes to pass a budget bill, right? Therefore, the Republicans are not "in control" of this process. Nice try.

I don't know of anyone who is saying the Democrats "tricked" them.
Believe what you will. Push whatever nonsense you want. The Republicans and the Russians are pushing as hard as they can. No reason not to join them.

I suspect this whole kerfuffle is a strategy to get attention away from the Russian investigation.

Whatever.

There was a deal to be made, however Trump and the Republicans declined to do so.

Blaming the Democrats is weak. At best it looks like they tricked Republicans into looking like fools.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 01-20-2018 at 07:44 AM..

Old 01-20-2018, 07:34 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Cloture needs 60 votes, usually. Bills need 51 votes for passage. Why can’t the GOP govern?
So, you're not being honest.....

This is a funding bill....60 votes....even CNN disagrees with you:

Quote:
Now that the House has passed a short-term spending bill on Thursday, the Senate will need 60 votes to move it forward.
Government shutdown: Where the senators stand - CNNPolitics

This shummer shutdown is going to haunt the dems....sounds good to me....

Old 01-20-2018, 07:35 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, you're not being honest.....

This is a funding bill....60 votes....even CNN disagrees with you:

Government shutdown: Where the senators stand - CNNPolitics

This shummer shutdown is going to haunt the dems....sounds good to me....
For final passage, a simple majority is all that’s needed in the senate.

Why can’t the GOP govern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies