Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 01:18 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
plus.. i'm a lot prouder of my Vietnam veteran shirt than that "I ran the 10K" shirt................
yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 01:20 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
my point is, the 2nd Lt position is still higher in the hierarchy and yet the education qualification of the sgt major is higher?

A SGT major is the peak of the enlisted ranks...........A 2nd LT is the bottom of being an officer.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:25 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
A SGT major is the peak of the enlisted ranks...........A 2nd LT is the bottom of being an officer.
And it's also a vast difference in what sea going sailors refer to as "time on the pond." Your average E-9 tends to have more time in whatever their branch refers to as "the s_h_1t" than any O-1. That freaking matters, and it matters big time.

Yeah, the salute being offered is still on the E-9, so is referring to 2nd Lt as sir/ma'am and all that, but the respect thing...yeah, 2nd Looey needs to earn that crap, because Sgt Major already has. Time on the pond matters.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:36 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, my take on this? Some veterans wear the caps and tee shirts to feel connected. They miss the military life. It is not about "look at me, I am a military veteran." I say, let them be.

For me personally, I loved bragging about my brother and I still do. My brother is embarrassed by this, so I don't do it in front of him. LOL My brother rarely talked about his military service, but other Marines can always tell he was in the service. It is amazing! They just know! :O His friendship and brotherhood last a lifetime and it really is amazing to watch!

I can care less what others think of me. If I am proud of him, I am proud of him. He is my personal hero. I also have a "thing" for military men. I just love them.
The rest of the world have militaries of long standing histories and I would opine at least equal to U.S. esprit-de-corps (feelings of pride of belonging) BUT it is rare to see a foreign ex or serving member wearing any kind of identifying military regalia beyond perhaps a lapel pin. It has been my experience from world travel in my seventy years of living, this is predominantly an American affectation.

I totally agree with the "let them be" assessment.

You are not to be criticized for your feelings about family members or military in general.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:51 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
In my ten years, I was awarded two combat medals with device, all manner of unit awards (good submarine), and expeditionary medals (the catch-all medal for spec-ops) for the Arctic, Atlantic and Mediterranean theaters...and I share the same distaste for trumpeting my own service as you and your brother. Even in this thread, it more for context than a "rah rah, yay me" thing.

My grandfather won the Bronze Star in the Battle of Hurtgen Forest, and he could have won a Purple Heart, but in a letter to my great aunt, he wrote that he didn't think his injury was serious enough to give him time off and put some "unfortunate fellow" into the harm's way that might be meant for him, and he certainly didn't need a medal proclaiming he had been careless enough to get in the path of a projectile. That's a freaking combat veteran, not some dude who was inside a submarine.

I say thanks when I get thanked for my service, and I always shake hands with elderly vets from WW II, Korea and Vietnam, and I visit my grandfather's ashes at Arlington every Memorial Day...but I keep what I did in perspective, and boasting just seems silly given the massive number of vets who did and gave so much more. I was just a tiny cog in a very big machine, and for all my standard sailor complaining at the time, I didn't have it that bad.
You sir exemplify EVERY facet of the military man deserving of respect and appreciation for his service. I suspect pints in a pub would be an enjoyable afternoons passing with you.

Our father was wounded twice with mom getting the telegram delivered to the house on both occasions to wit: (from memory)....... "we regret to inform you your husband Troop Sgt ****** was wounded in action on the fifth of ...... we have no information regarding the seriousness of his injuries at this time. Further information will be forwarded to you when it becomes available." she would then wait both times an additional three weeks before being informed he had been returned to front line duty in command of his tanks.

Upon his return in 1945 he simply resumed his life with very little mention of his experiences until my brother and I had both completed a term of service in the RCN. Even then, it took some serious lubrication of rum to elicit stories from N. Africa, Italy, Holland, Belgium, France and lastly Germany itself.

Unbelievable stuff that he poo'ed poo'ed about by proclaiming he was just another grunt doing his bit with the icing on the cake making it hard for him to crow over any of it being......he was one of the survivors.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The rest of the world have militaries of long standing histories and I would opine at least equal to U.S. esprit-de-corps (feelings of pride of belonging) BUT it is rare to see a foreign ex or serving member wearing any kind of identifying military regalia beyond perhaps a lapel pin. It has been my experience from world travel in my seventy years of living, this is predominantly an American affectation.

I totally agree with the "let them be" assessment.

You are not to be criticized for your feelings about family members or military in general.
The bold, like I posted earlier, buying USMC shirts at PX is cheap. Many of my friends wear them because those shirts are affordable and they look great in them.

One of my friends is a single dad. I haven't seen him wearing anything else other than the USMC shirts. He said it is not cheap to raise a child alone. He never bought anything nice for himself. So I understand.

This past Christmas, I gave him a very expensive pocket knife as a gift. That is what he likes.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:38 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
You sir exemplify EVERY facet of the military man deserving of respect and appreciation for his service. I suspect pints in a pub would be an enjoyable afternoons passing with you.
I suspect the same would be true of you, good sir.
Quote:
Our father was wounded twice with mom getting the telegram delivered to the house on both occasions to wit: (from memory)....... "we regret to inform you your husband Troop Sgt ****** was wounded in action on the fifth of ...... we have no information regarding the seriousness of his injuries at this time. Further information will be forwarded to you when it becomes available." she would then wait both times an additional three weeks before being informed he had been returned to front line duty in command of his tanks.

Upon his return in 1945 he simply resumed his life with very little mention of his experiences until my brother and I had both completed a term of service in the RCN. Even then, it took some serious lubrication of rum to elicit stories from N. Africa, Italy, Holland, Belgium, France and lastly Germany itself.

Unbelievable stuff that he poo'ed poo'ed about by proclaiming he was just another grunt doing his bit with the icing on the cake making it hard for him to crow over any of it being......he was one of the survivors.
My aunt has another letter written by my grandfather, and this was two days before the actions that would result in his Bronze Star award. It was written while he was in a foxhole, and holding it (to me anyway) is like holding the original Constitution in your hand. He is funny, charming, scared, angry, sarcastic, brave...everything, all inside 3 pages written to his sister. It's the most profound and effecting thing I have ever read. Maybe my greatest honor was being the one chosen to speak at his Arlington ceremony when his ashes were interred.

Again, it puts things into perspective.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:41 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,298,444 times
Quote:
I am not an expert, but I've been told that most 2ndLt’s will be in charge of a small unit, such as a platoon or section. Thus, he’ll be responsible for writing performance evaluations for those subordinate to him - in addition to training them, ensuring their welfare, good order & discipline, etc.

There's two kinds of authority in the military.. Rank and position. In regards to rank, an LT out ranks a SGM. However in regards to position, a SGM is likely at least 2 or 3 echelons above the LT, and can easily make that LTs life a ****-wading simulator.

MOST NCO with many years of experiences will be more valuable (for lack of a better word) than a new officer. Butter bars need to earn the respect. Respect is not automatically given to them.
My son is in one of the Academies right now. Next year he will be a 2nd LT. He is already taught to rely on his senior enlisted in his unit. Yes he will have rank however he knows to have respect for everyone in his unit regardless of rank. He is fully aware that respect is a two way street.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
My son is in one of the Academies right now. Next year he will be a 2nd LT. He is already taught to rely on his senior enlisted in his unit. Yes he will have rank however he knows to have respect for everyone in his unit regardless of rank. He is fully aware that respect is a two way street.
I wish him all the very best.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:46 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,298,444 times
Quote:
I wish him all the very best.
TYVM. He loves this country and values service. Cant wait to see what job he gets and where he commissions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies