Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Trump's military parade: yes or no?
Yes. 37 16.37%
No, 170 75.22%
Don't care. 19 8.41%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 04:45 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,843,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
It will be chaos at an enormous cost if this comes off.

It will be resemble "Tank Man" at the Tiananmen Square protests only on a much larger scale. Many are willing to get arrested in order to stop this charade which only intent is to feed that egomaniac in the White House ego and to show off to North Korea and Russia.

Truly a dumb idea but I consider the source. Hopefully in the end common sense will prevail, or better yet he will be out of office before the talked about date of November 11.

This will be no celebration.
Oh, I don't know about that.

Election is Nov. 6.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 04:47 AM

11,800 posts, read 5,804,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Truth.
Better read the quote again - that was a diss - they weren't agreeing with you!

Old 02-08-2018, 04:49 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What unit were you with?
B229 Assault Helicopter Company.

We were working the Chup Rubber Plantation from Tay Ninh at the base of the mountain. Running two hour sorties. It was a major supply base for the NVA across the Ho Chi Min Trail. The flight line was two miles long, lined with helicopters. Usually three to four B52 would arc light and we would do BDA's. A huge dangerous area and taking casualties mostly from 51 cal. triangles and some small arms and RPG.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Virgin_Mountain

The VC owed the Mountain but we had a communication base on the top of it. I landed there several times. It was a extremely dangerous landing in the clouds. Couldn't see nothing beyond the skids.

Last edited by phma; 02-08-2018 at 05:03 AM..

Old 02-08-2018, 04:52 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,843,388 times
I suspect John the 13th is spot on about protestors facing off against tanks and missiles.

So the parade repeatedly comes to a halt while police scuffle with protestors. That ought to make for some great news clips.

The Tank Man on Tiananmen Square has got nothing us.

This has the potential to be an effing PR disaster.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:54 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
It will be chaos at an enormous cost if this comes off.

It will be resemble "Tank Man" at the Tiananmen Square protests only on a much larger scale. Many are willing to get arrested in order to stop this charade which only intent is to feed that egomaniac in the White House ego and to show off to North Korea and Russia.

Truly a dumb idea but I consider the source. Hopefully in the end common sense will prevail, or better yet he will be out of office before the talked about date of November 11.

This will be no celebration.
It could be chaos. Really, I don't see though how they are going to get everything to Penn Ave to have the kind of parade that Trump envisions. It would be a real trick to get dozens of tanks there, missiles and other stuff being hauled thru the streets plus thousands of troops assembled. In DC traffic at that which, in itself, is a no-go.

I see you are in Greenbelt. Would you make the trip downtown if you didn't have to? Not me, I'll just watch in on TV news program rather than make that trip. And I bet most people living in the DC area would feel the same way.

Really, it would be just as much a slap in the face to Trump if no one showed up as the riots would be.

Obviously so, given his reaction at the very low attendance at his inauguration.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:55 AM

11,800 posts, read 5,804,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Like tear up the streets of DC? Waste taxpayer money? Trump seeks to be the only one who really wants this.
Wasting taxpayer's money to honor those who serve and protect our freedom - but it was OK to spend the money to color the White House in Rainbow colors to support LBGT under Obama - right?

The problem with liberals is that unless it's your idea - you're going to crucify it. I love the videos like this which show most young liberals are clueless and are just following the other sheep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7C6kH-LbpI

Old 02-08-2018, 04:58 AM

21,149 posts, read 19,736,448 times
You might have specified non-draftee veterans.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:10 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,808,504 times
As someone who has protested multiple times since trump took office, I'd be surprised if there were a large scale protest that day. I'm sure some will show up but it could be seen as Anti-military and that's not the message most of us want to send. I would not attend a protest that day.

That being said, most active duty or vets who have spoken out don't seem to want this and would rather the money be spent elsewhere.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:10 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
It could be chaos. Really, I don't see though how they are going to get everything to Penn Ave to have the kind of parade that Trump envisions. It would be a real trick to get dozens of tanks there, missiles and other stuff being hauled thru the streets plus thousands of troops assembled. In DC traffic at that which, in itself, is a no-go.

I see you are in Greenbelt. Would you make the trip downtown if you didn't have to? Not me, I'll just watch in on TV news program rather than make that trip. And I bet most people living in the DC area would feel the same way.

Really, it would be just as much a slap in the face to Trump if no one showed up as the riots would be.

Obviously so, given his reaction at the very low attendance at his inauguration.
No, I'm 62 and too old to deal with something like this.

I tried and attempted to go to the first Women's March but it was way too much of a hassle.

I hope for a low turnout if this event takes place but I'm confident there will be enough protesters to cause a major disruption. Reports yesterday on conservative leaning WTOP radio say catastrophic damage will be done to the streets by the tanks. This will result in endless construction which as you know this area cannot handle.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:13 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Trump's parade is a laughable example of the man-child in chief's petty mindset. He saw another kid (France) with a toy that he likes, so now he wants a bigger toy (parade) of his own, to prove how much "better" he is. Classic man-child mindset. "I want, I want, I WANT!"

As others have already covered, it is particularly appalling that Trump wants this, since he's a draft dodger and a coward on so many different levels. The whole thing also stinks of petty dictatorships, like North Korea, who think waving their military around is proper behavior.

I support our troops, but I'm also smart enough to realize that Trump is a shallow, immature draft-dodging coward who has no business demanding a military parade nor being honored at one. I also understand that a nation should be judged by much more than just how big a military we have on display.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies