Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:01 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
This is a problem period. Get rid of all lobbying, not just a select few. The NRA is hugely successful because huge numbers of people want and own guns. These people vote religiously<>
Sigh.
First: "Get rid of all lobbying"So, how else will you communicate with your legislature? Lobbying is simply that, done in an organized way. Without being able to communicate with your legislature and executive branch officials you as a citizen are disenfranchised. If I were to properly respond to the lack of knowledge contained in that idea I would be banned.
Second: "The NRA is hugely successful because huge numbers of people want and own guns." Brillant. Much more observant that you seem. You write that like it is a bad thing. A couple of hundred million people, maybe, favor owning guns. If you are not one, don't buy one. Don't infringe the right of those who do want one. It is a given right. There are countries that do not allow gun ownership. Pick one.
Third: "These people vote religiously" Not really. Their priests, pastors, and Rabbis have little to do with how they vote. In addition, according to IRS rules churches can't preach politics. If caught breaking federal laws, religious organizations may have their tax exemption status revoked.
Many gun advocates are unchurched, anyway.
These people vote faithfully. That means they show up every time the polls are open for elections for all levels of government from school board to POTUS. That is why politicians listen to them. What's your record?
"Words have meanings"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 09:01 AM

57,291 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yeah well, their children could possibly be alive if the school hadn't left Cruz in the school. He was expelled, how come he was back in the school.

How come the police and FBI ignored the reports they were getting on him?

I question, does everyone have ADHD, they're all running around pointing fingers not able to sit down and logically look at this issue and how this could have been avoided in the first place.

Stop for one moment and reflect this....
A kid from Ohio, what was it, a week after this shooting, walked into school, with a gun, and shot himself in the bathroom???? How in the world was he able to get a gun in school...this is the human error....

There are many precautions that can be taken....to avoid a mass shooting...it's the world we live in now....

This deputy froze, sad but true, he froze....his body went into shock mode, he had no control over that....it's what the body does....
There are many border line kids out their right now, if you think this is the exception you are mistaken. I recall the congressman that attempted to get his son committed and couldn't find a resource, the son ended up stabbing his father multiple times.

These situations are common, the authorities don't know at what point they go over the threshold and Besides what options do they have, lock up every teenager that has a history or shows some signs of mental illness.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:03 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
the depth of the slim the media has poured on this tragedy has been hard for me to fathom. the press are no longer journalists but social justice warriors.
So, you see massacres as social justice issues, and nothing more?

No wonder conservatives are telling the survivors to shut up.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 02-23-2018 at 09:16 AM..

Old 02-23-2018, 09:04 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
In the end, it is really just a footnote on this event. The lesson learned here is that the only way to prevent a tragedy like this is by preventing the individual from obtaining a weapon of mass lethality in the first place. The horse is out of the barn at that point, sure you can talk about how rapidly we could take him out and so on, but given the rate of fire of his weapons, he could have still caused a huge amount of carnage first.
exactly, now, why couldn't this happen.

Lets say every gun store, is mandated to have a computer filled with peoples names, and photos....it's a list of people that should not have guns...and this list is updated every time someone new is place on the list. And it includes under aged kids that have been arrested or, visited by police, or are mentally ill and on medication....

So now someone comes in to purchase a gun....especially a gun that only the military or law enforcement should own. that should raise a flag to any gun salesman? Right?

So he checks the computer and sees, this kid is on the list, and says, sorry not today. And then he alerts everyone in law enforcement about the said wanted purchase?

Would that be possible?

Old 02-23-2018, 09:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
People should really drill down on the root cause of this phenomenon. Look at the majority of school shootings and compare all the shooters. I think you will find that these people were pretty low on the totem pole at school. Harangued, harassed, held back, treated like a cur dog by other students and staff.. Some times a dog will bite...I wonder how many of these kids protesting ever invited the shooter to sit at the lunch table with them
Psychosis is solved by having someone invite you to lunch

Old 02-23-2018, 09:05 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
For the most part the Sandy Hook survivors were all too young to express themselves thusly and therefore were exempted from this idiotic phenomena, but their parents sure as heck weren't.

God forbid you are actually old enough and aware enough to form an opinion contrary to the accepted insane notion; 'more guns in the hands of Americans making you safer from other Americans with guns'.
If someone is shooting at you would you prefer to be armed or unarmed?

Old 02-23-2018, 09:05 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
All of which has nothing to do with these kids, who have survived an unspeakable trauma, being ridiculed, accused of lying, and being told to shut up by conservatives.
When you categorize several crazy people to represent all conservatives that only makes you look bad. You start to lose a lot of creditability points when you do that.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:06 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah.

I know I'll get hammered for this but he might have been, by staying outside, following procedure. The Sheriff saying that would have been political suicide.

After Columbine, when building entry was delayed for 45 minutes waiting for the SWAT team to arrive, protocol was changed to have the first 3 or 4 responding officers do a team entry. A single officer was not to attempt a solo entry unless he knew exactly where the shooter was and could do so with limited exposure of himself.
If you're correct, which I don't believe you are, it will be political suicide anyway when the truth comes out and he is shown to have lied about it. I expect the Sheriff himself will be resigning/retiring soon.

In any case, I expect more to come. Its like they know their collective systemic/personal failures are so outrageous they better trickle them out or face lynch mobs surrounding govt bldgs.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:07 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, you see massacres as social justice issues, and nothing more?

No wonder conservatives are telling the survivors to shut up.
disagreeing with someone is far from telling them to "shut up". get a dictionary out and look up some definitions if you are having trouble with word meanings.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:08 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are many border line kids out their right now, if you think this is the exception you are mistaken. I recall the congressman that attempted to get his son committed and couldn't find a resource, the son ended up stabbing his father multiple times.

These situations are common, the authorities don't know at what point they go over the threshold and Besides what options do they have, lock up every teenager that has a history or shows some signs of mental illness.
yes, but, if, the school would have had metal detectors, the kid would have probably not been able to enter school, alarms would have gone off, and they could have held the kid until law enforcement came.

Then law enforcement could have pressed charges, sent the kid up and perhaps gotten help for him? NO?

I'm picturing a double door, with a hall in-between with a metal detector, which would go off and hold the kid in that area, which would have bullet proof glass. The metal detector would also alarm the police...when it goes off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies