Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 10:27 AM

20,944 posts, read 8,735,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There was a day, every HS had a shooting and marksmanship team. Turkey shoots, were a weekly occurrence.
Guns were brought to school for a purpose, daily.

Everyone at school must be on the shooting team, if we really are to follow the constitutions 2nd amendment and the well regulated militia part. The constitution actually mandates it.
Nice Falsehood.

High Schools didn't even exist in bulk for much of our history. Kids slinging guns to school? Could you please provide a couple sources which indicate this was the reality for millions of Americans? I also know that it was not what my parents or grandparents experienced.

Now - in summer camp (paid) - we did shot 22 shorts. Also used bows and arrows. All carefully regulated. No one brought a rifle back to their cabin. Also same in Military School - which went up to two years of junior college. No shooting even outdoors (only indoor range) and no one had anything but "parade" rifles outside of the range.

Very expensive also - that Military school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 10:28 AM

8,166 posts, read 3,149,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There was a day, every HS had a shooting and marksmanship team. Turkey shoots, were a weekly occurrence.
Guns were brought to school for a purpose, daily.

Everyone at school must be on the shooting team, if we really are to follow the constitutions 2nd amendment and the well regulated militia part. The constitution actually mandates it.
Well that must have been quite a long time ago and in only specific regions of the U.S. If there was such a thing in, say San Francisco at some point in history, I'd have to say they stopped doing it in this city maybe before the 1940's or more ago.

Big cities probably would have stopped doing such long ago. But I would imagine small towns and such in places like the Midwest would have done such a little bit longer.

Public schools get their budget funding from the Government. The Government most likely cut that funding from the budget over 50 - 60 years ago. This is just my educated guess, I could be wrong.

5,472 posts, read 3,241,280 times
It's time to see and acknowledge the truth that is real... for those being killed cannot be brought back, yet, others plot even to kill more... because they hide behind the shield of their skin's color, and are readily dismissed and sanitized by the labels of mental illness, as a first and only summary... Rather than to call them "Evil" and Evil Killers of the Innocent"

This killer can wear all the MAGA hats and hide his face with scarves, and point, shoot and kill others... and the fact remains that no one denied him the choice to make his own life function and build his own future. He and his envy, vanity and anguish on not being given everything by his sense of thinking himself entitled is his own doing. As is any who groomed themselves with such expectation and driven himself into the vile of Evilness, because he denied himself the same things he chose to want to covet from others.

In America, there is no left behind white people, only some among white people who chose to move themselves behind, by clinging to a history of racism where slavery paid the taxes, that built much of the nation, while whites paid less taxes, and whined and cried about it, because they expected even more, while wanting to deny anything and everything to others. When fact is. Slavery was vile, but the profits it produced, was derived by 100% tax on the productions of black peoples labor. America prospered like no other nation by this act of vile and the premise and practice it engaged.

When slavery profit derived from the centuries of 100% taxation's on black peoples labor, was abolished, and white society had to pay more taxes for what they want... they still did not want the black people to benefit from anything the 100's of years of 100% taxation on their labor supported and built.
And when time changed with the Civil Rights Acts, the same segments of white society who long benefited from the accouterments and systems that slave labors 100% taxation's wealth generated and created, they RESENTED even the thought that one penny of their tax money would be used to benefit any person who's skin was not white. They have been whining 'every since about "my tax dollars".
They whine and cry and fight and attack so much, they the working class whites blind themselves, to the fact that the wealthy also did not want one penny of their tax money to benefit 'poor whites" and working poor whites. The wealthy groomed the poor working whites to fight against tax money from being used for anything except what benefits the wealthy.
They created wealthy lobbyist who crafted policy to ensure to strip, plan to dismantle anything that would help poor whites and certainly to destroy anything that helped minorities of non white skin.

Until a time comes that white people in general awaken and people wake up and see the truth, the MAGA and Other Groups of white people will only see an increase in the grooming of even more Mass Killers who have white skin, planning and plotting and tacking actions to kill innocent people. And being shield by the sanitized label of mental health, when the fact is they have been groomed to Kill others by the promotion of fiction, that they were left behind. When truth is the wealthy have never cared to see them as more than a disposable service class of labor, and when they can labor no more, there is no more concern for or of them by the wealthy, who control the wealth and industry and now the governance of this nation. They become victims driven by their own ignorance to be awakened and become aware. Any exposure of truth, they deny readily, and proceed to proclaim, the destruction within societies environments of "mass killers of a rampage" as something they can't believe.
They readily accept the sanitized label of "mental illness" to avoid seeing the truth, of what is a white skin evil killer as being a Evil Killer of Innocent people.

they cling to the old fiction of "white is right", until they can't see the evil and wrongs being done; because they are blinded by the fiction about their own skin. The delusion of superiority, is a self blinding to the inferiority they harbor within and of themselves... with the claim.. "they have been forgotten".

18 Mass Killing, and people still refuse to face the real truth, of "Evil Groomed Killers", by the same premises as mentioned and discussed above.

The wealthy and power has no concern, it is amassing fortunes for a military that in recent decades spent Trillion building weaponry enough to occupy two countries, and now the claim is that they need more. The people blind themselves to the plans of plutocrats, to amass what they desire, if they seek aim and claim to contain the masses, and invoke martial law, and install themselves as the autocracy, who commands control by the dismantling of a Democracy.

Recently, the claim was there can be no claim of mental illness without medical evaul, when it came to the acts of the President, but he can make claim of Mental Illness, before even the history of the Evil of this young killer is continually being uncovered. And the people fall of it, and never become aware to see through the hypocrisy.

Wake up people.

Be not Fools and do not become Fools continually preyed upon by the denial of the killers who are among you, by blinding yourself to them because of the white color of their skin.

Call it what it is... !!! "An Evil Killer", who lurked among society, shielded by his skin color, when many saw for years the evil of his ways and acts. When you become able to face that truth among you, of those of white skin who are evil.... Only then, .... will you began to find a path way to eradicate this madness.

Centuries of Denials... has made much madness in America. It's time truths are told, learning is gained and people become wise among themselves as a society of American people. Or Skin Color blindness will promote a continuation of Evil and Mayhem, destitution and despair and the vile of racist ignorance will promote more blindness among the people of white skin, to harbor more criminals of evil makeup among themselves. As well, they will continue to choose Evil motivated men as their leaders who work day and night to demean their lives, and diminish their means as well as the means of any person non white.

Learn how not to become Fooled by the foolish who's aim is to make you a Fool.

It's time to see and acknowledge the truth that is real... for those being killed cannot be brought back, yet, others plot even to kill more... because they hide behind the shield of their skin's color, and are readily dismissed and sanitized by the labels of mental illness, as a first and only summary... Rather than to call them "Evil" and Evil Killers of the Innocent"

Last edited by Chance and Change; 02-16-2018 at 11:00 AM..

18,774 posts, read 18,263,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
How do we get to the point where they don't have to think about having to defend themselves?

Seriously, why they h*ll should they have to?

You think that training children will be effective where training adults hasn't been?

We've had 3 law enforcement officers shot and killed in Colorado in the last month.
They were trained.
They were armed.

Next.
It probably surprised them that they were shot; maybe they never saw it coming? However, if you are in school and you see a classmate assembling a long gun or unwrapping the weapon; would you stand there and watch?

Supposedly the shooter started shooting in the hall. There were probably kids on all sides of him. He could not cover all sides at the same time - so you explore the weakness in his defense. If he is entering a classroom, especially with a long gun, there is a split second to grab the gun barrel or hit him hard - it is all about weaknesses and vulnerabilities. That is why these animals choose schools (they think they are safe).

The San Diego shooting had law enforcement training for such an even not too far from the scene and the shooters still managed to flee (although they were killed later on). You cannot be passive; you have to take your safety in your own hands and exploit any means to strike back.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:30 AM

9,549 posts, read 7,114,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Michael Moore is a moron. It's not the antidepressants ... it's the mental illness they are taking the antidepressants for
Do 10 year olds need to be prescribed medication developed for adults?
What other interventions were tried first? Has anyone changed their diet? Provided them with more exercise? Given them therapy? Improved discipline?

No in the US, it's "here is your prescription, see you in 6 weeks." If little Johnny suddenly is willing to sit still and do his stupid worksheet, teachers are happy, and everyone just keeps on going.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:31 AM

20,944 posts, read 8,735,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Terrifying bit of history here from one of the student survivors:

"“This is my grandpa. When he was 12 years old, he hid in a closet while his family was murdered during the first mass shooting in America. Almost 70 years later, I also hid in a closet from a murderer. These events shouldn’t be repetitive. Something has to change,†Novell tweeted.
Her grandfather, Charles Cohen, survived a mass shooting by a lone gunman, who was considered to be the first single-episode mass murderer in American history.
Cohen’s parents and grandmother were killed in their New Jersey home by Unruh, a World War II veteran on Sept. 6, 1949."

Student hid in closet from mass murderer 70 years after grandfather did the same | FOX31 Denver

But too soon to talk about that 1949 incident, I suppose.
There are a lot of similar stories in American history. Black folks came back from hard service in WWII and thought they had paid their dues and would be treated somewhat fairly. Instead, many were murdered just for having the attitude that they were "men".

Sadly, our history is full of such things. In many of these mass shootings, Vets who came back from real war got shot and/or killed. What a country!

I think those with "real" religion know that a society is measured by how they treat two classes of people:
1. "The least among yee"
and
2. The Children

I think we have largely failed both of them. But we certainly have treated the budding shooters well.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:35 AM

12,772 posts, read 8,010,379 times
Wow, CNN reporting that the second report they had yesterday was a call with lots of details that they dropped the ball on. No follow up, nothing. Basically admission that they F'd up...BIG.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fbi-says-...173132600.html

FBI says a person contacted agency with concerns about suspected Florida school shooter, but it failed to investigate

See something, say something...FBI ignores.

They called the FBI on Jan 5th, told them of the shooters desire to kill people, social media posts, gun ownership, and potential of him conducting a school shooting.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,108,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, there were doctored pictures of this guy being Antifa, and registered democrat, and those claims reeked of Russian propaganda. Sure enough, there turned out to be fake news, and many people here took it for gospel.
Don't forget the White Supremacist fake story as well. I know it doesn't fit into the box you're painting but it's there.

My,my,my, haven't the ideologues and party hacks in the U.S. set us up as the perfect victims for trolling and manipulation.
No foreign government could've hoped or planned for a better situation and outcome than what WE have brought upon ourselves.
Gotta believe ANYTHING on the 'net or our stupid phones as gospel as long as it tracks along with one's own opinions.
I've constantly said social media WILL BE the death of us and it looks like it's heading that way. Maybe someday we'll actually start using critical thinking again instead of believing some electronic "box" and quit being duped by frauds...

Old 02-16-2018, 10:40 AM

18,774 posts, read 18,263,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That doesn't happen in real life, it's pure video game fantasy. If someone points a gun at you you don't throw your shoes at them you start shaking, freeze for second and then look for cover. What you describe would necessitate at least some students dying, who gets to decide who will throw the first book and die, do they draw straws or just hope there is a hero in the group who decides to go first?

We need to be very careful about who is able to possess weapons capable of killing a dozen people in a minute. If we have to have weapons like that then there should be a special permit issued after thorough law enforcement vetting to buy or possess one. It's pure nonsense for Florida to allow 18 year olds to buy guns like that, shame on them. No one's 2A rights are infringed on by not being able to buy a gun whose sole purpose is to kill several people quickly.
I carried my model 52D to HS for four years while I shot on our HS rifle team. With the precision I had with that rifle I could have killed one person just as quick as any AR-15 - but it was only a single shot and it would take time to reload. I was 12 when I first started carrying my rifle. It taught responsibility - it was my responsibility to keep my weapon safe until I could have it locked up at our rifle range.

Unfortunately; I do not think we will ever be able to turn back the hands of time. However; I could see possibly training selected individuals in a school to carry one shot TASERS. With training they could give schools one way to fight back without jeopardizing the larger student population. While they are no match for the AR-15; it only takes one to make the shooter drop his weapon and the shooters would not know who is carrying. Of course I would prefer the one shot 52-D; but that will not happen.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:58 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,298,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Correct. They can appear to be aides or volunteers in the school, even to the students to eliminate insider info, while concealed carrying so a shooter wouldn't know who to take out, first. 100% effective. Just look at Israel's school shooting stats, a country in which just about everyone is armed.

Correct? Israel guards its schools against terrorist attack from the Arabs that surround them and have vowed their destruction. Nutters in America wish to arm educators and have ex military roam the halls simply so the Adolescent Gun Cult can keep their cool toys.

Big difference.

What other civilized nation except Israel has to consider bulletproofing their kids and arming the teachers to prevent other gun nutters from coming in and killing the students? Please name me one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies