Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 07:18 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,814,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
So don't marry a guy like that.
Obviously. That’s also what guys who want a 50s style housewife should do. Marry a woman who wants the same lifestyle they do. If it works for them and they’re happy, that’s great. Freedom of choice is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 07:29 AM

36,543 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Exactly i get up every morning and make my wife a coffee because i love her. If the reverse happened however some would use it as an example of male privalge.
You realized we are describing life as we saw it and were told it in the 50's and 60's, right?

Thankfully, I rarely see that type of dynamic today. Couples marry because they love each other and want to be married not because they need each other and they work out a more egalitarian relationship. You make your wife coffee because you love her not because it is expected of you.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:53 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,957,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You act as if there's something wrong with being a traditional housewife.
What is wrong is expecting/demanding/forcing women into that role when they don't want to be in that role.

I sure as hell don't want to be, and I don't need a man's assistance to run my household and pay my bills. I never wanted kids, because I'm the youngest in my generation on one side of my family, and next youngest by 10 years on the other side (and that cousin lived 3 hours away from me so I only saw her maybe 5-6 times a year), so I didn't grow up around them. Now that I see what kids today are dealing with that I didn't have to 25+ years ago, I definitely am glad I never had any. My nephews' high school was put on lockdown yesterday; thankfully one of them was at Gore Mountain skiing in the NYSPHSAA State Championships.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:19 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
What is wrong is expecting/demanding/forcing women into that role when they don't want to be in that role.
No one is doing that. No one forced women to marry in the 50s/60s.

What is unfortunate is cultures, some which still exist, which marry girls off in arranged marriages. Now that is oppression.

I can't feel bad for women who made a choice to be house wives because they romanticized it and then decided they didn't like the job. How many of those women looked down on single women as old maids and felt superior when they got a man to marry them.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:48 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
No one is doing that. No one forced women to marry in the 50s/60s.
They just shamed them by calling them spinster and old maids and limited the types of jobs they could be hired to do and the level of income they had to settle for since men supporting a family were deemed more deserving on that basis alone.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:06 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
They just shamed them by calling them spinster and old maids and limited the types of jobs they could be hired to do and the level of income they had to settle for since men supporting a family were deemed more deserving on that basis alone.
So very true! Even those of us who went to college were expected to get our "Mrs." degree as well.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:26 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,814,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No they weren't forced. They were given a choice; here is a chit sandwich 1. eat it. 2. starve.

They were shamed, ostracized, restricted in career, income, credit, homeownership, sex (as late as 1965 unmarried women could not get birth control in 26 states). As well girls were groomed from day one to go after that white wedding, land a man who could give them the white picket fence and 3.5 kids. That was the goal set for girls. From baby dolls and tea sets to hope chests and home economics classes to bridal gowns to bragging about whose husband had the whitest shirt and whose had ring around the collar. So yes if marriage and motherhood is spoon fed to you since infancy as a romantic Cinderella story it would that many women were disillusioned at the reality of it.

Yep. And if things had been as rosy in the 50s and 60s for women, as some claim, there would have been no women's rights movement. And mothers would have continued the marriage is all fantasy instead of starting to tell their daughters that they had other choices.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:32 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,116,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Yep. And if things had been as rosy in the 50s and 60s for women, as some claim, there would have been no women's rights movement. And mothers would have continued the marriage is all fantasy instead of starting to tell their daughters that they had other choices.
Yeah Mother’s Little Helper was used back then https://io9.gizmodo.com/this-is-the-...-li-1693032181

“One of the things that gave meprobamate a bad name was its use by housewives. The idea that these women, seemingly without a problem in the world, needed drugs to get by sparked confusion and scorn - as did the fact that many women became physically addicted to the drug. This is where the phrase, "mother's little helper," comes from. Meprobamate is the drug referenced in the famous song.”

Old 02-28-2018, 10:03 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Yeah Mother’s Little Helper was used back then https://io9.gizmodo.com/this-is-the-...-li-1693032181

“One of the things that gave meprobamate a bad name was its use by housewives. The idea that these women, seemingly without a problem in the world, needed drugs to get by sparked confusion and scorn - as did the fact that many women became physically addicted to the drug. This is where the phrase, "mother's little helper," comes from. Meprobamate is the drug referenced in the famous song.”
And no busy have-it-all women are taking anti-depressant or anti anxiety meds.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:18 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,116,700 times
Quote:
And no busy have-it-all women are taking anti-depressant or anti anxiety meds.
*Shrug* Just pointing out that things definitely weren’t as idyllic as some would have us think. I am almost certain I wouldn’t have done well in that sort of lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies