Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 07:05 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Georgia allows guns in schools. Google it.
From your own article:

Quote:
Both teachers were in Georgia, which generally prohibits people from carrying firearms on school grounds
From your own quote:

Quote:
House Bill 60, or the Safe Carry Protection Act of 2014 -- which opponents have nicknamed the "guns everywhere bill" -- specifies where Georgia residents can carry weapons. Included are provisions that allow residents who have concealed carry permits to take guns into some bars, churches, school zones, government buildings and certain parts of airports.
Now, do we know if these schools allow it? Do we know if there was a process and approval in place for these two teachers to be carrying on school grounds? Were they part of an officially sponsored program where they were vetted and given training?

I'm going to assume all of the answers to my questions above are a big fat no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 07:07 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Now, do we know if these schools allow it? Do we know if there was a process and approval in place for these two teachers to be carrying on school grounds? Were they part of an officially sponsored program where they were vetted and given training?

I'm going to assume all of the answers to my questions above are a big fat no.
You argued it is illegal to bring firearms to schools, and I showed you the argument was false.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:07 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,732,396 times
Quote:
Georgia allows guns in schools. Google it.
Guns are not allowed at Dalton High School. He snuck a gun into school in his computer case.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
You argued it is illegal to bring firearms to schools, and I showed you the argument was false.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Guns are not allowed at Dalton High School. He snuck a gun into school in his computer case.
I made several arguments, you chose one that you have half a leg to stand on because your own link said its legal in "SOME" schools. I also said this person obviously wasn't part of a well thought out program. Using this as an example is a complete failure in every angle you could possibly argue it from if you want to be intellectually honest about it rather than politically partisan about it.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I made several arguments, you chose one that you have half a leg to stand on because your own link said its legal in "SOME" schools.
Yep. You said its illegal. Period. Stop trying to mislead

Old 03-01-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Yep. You said its illegal. Period. Stop trying to mislead
I did, and and it is illegal in both schools.

https://www.myajc.com/news/crime--la...FAAh5GYAUpwlJ/

Quote:
The Douglas County School System said it has not changed its policy to let teachers have weapons in schools.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/28/us/ge...re/index.html/

Quote:
Police later tweeted that Davidson would face charges of aggravated assault, carrying a weapon on school grounds, terroristic threats, reckless conduct, possession of gun during commission of a crime, and disrupting a public school.

Last edited by t206; 03-01-2018 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: Fixed second link

Old 03-01-2018, 07:37 AM

10,091 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Call me crazy but I'd think that any shooting in any school would be a pretty hot topic.

Here's my position. Though I am a supporter of second amendment rights, I don't feel comfortable with the idea of armed teachers, mainly because I don't like the idea of our schools being awash with guns. I think it would be too easy for a student to get hold of a gun in this case. I also think that it's sort of a conflict of interest to expect a teacher to shoot a student. But that's just my personal opinion - I'll let the schools sort this out. I do know a lot of teachers and not a one of them likes the idea of teachers carrying guns to school.

I do think that before we consider that, we might take a long hard look at security in our schools. Seems that in many districts, the cost of administration salaries is a burden, but one that's being carried. I'd bet that most parents would be happy to have the administration salaries cut by, say, 10 percent and have those funds diverted into better security systems for the campuses. And better mental health screening at the campus level.

I think it's terrible that teachers even have to think about arming themselves against students or former students. What a sickening scenario that is.
I'm not fully comfortable with giving every teacher a loaded weapon. Accidents can happen. Imagine if the teacher was putting the gun away and dropped it and it went off and killed a student. The fallout would be tremendous.

But surely in our technological advanced society we can come up with some way, some method where teachers and students are not defenseless bullet sponges in this situations. I don't know, how about a DNA encoded switch on the teacher's desk that will auto-lock bulletproof doors?

Old 03-01-2018, 07:44 AM

Pilots can carry in the plane, but only if they are members of a covert law enforcement and counter-terrorism service. If teachers should be allowed to carry in school, they should take the same counter terrorism training as the pilots.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:53 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,100 times
Quote:
Oh, you know him? You know his motives and his state of mind? Tell us more. I know plenty of teachers from my past and present who would never be considered "good" people. Ones profession does not make them "good" or "bad" for that matter.
From the gun crowd, everyone is a good guy with a gun unless they've been convicted of a crime beforehand. He hadn't. Therefore, to the gun crowd, he was a good guy. Until he wasn't. Which is the way it is with every person who has their first incident with a gun. It's why it's such a horrible argument.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
From the gun crowd, everyone is a good guy with a gun unless they've been convicted of a crime beforehand. He hadn't. Therefore, to the gun crowd, he was a good guy. Until he wasn't. Which is the way it is with every person who has their first incident with a gun. It's why it's such a horrible argument.
Got it, guilty until proven innocent. Sorry our legal system goes against your personal beliefs. It makes me cringe to think people would call innocent until proven guilty a "horrible argument" when we live in what is supposed to be a free country.

There should absolutely be background checks and vetting for anyone who is being considered for this, and my personal opinion is that the federal government should set a basic standard with the schools having the authority to add things to make it more stringent or appropriate for their needs. There is nothing "horrible" about that.

Also waiting for an apology from Finn_Jarber for trying to imply that I was lying. I'll just be here holding my breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies