Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 01:18 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times

Advertisements

This story makes no sense.

He wouldn't open the door so the kids reported him to the principal?
The principal shows up and *hears* a gunshot?

No threats no conversations kids heard nothing. But they report him to principal? Was it even his classroom?

Too little reporting, no details, timeline of *events* makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 01:20 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

...I think it's terrible that teachers even have to think about arming themselves against students or former students. What a sickening scenario that is.

Agreed, though they wouldn't have to be thinking about it if this asinine idea wasn't being proposed by prominent politicians.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:20 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My 6th grade teacher( late 60's) had an emotional meltdown in front of the class. She took a pistol out of her purse and placed in on her desk. The class froze in their seats.

She eventually propelled her head through the glass window in the door. Nuns took the class to the adjacent church and told us to pray for the teacher.

Parents were never informed of the incident. I told my mother who laughed and told me to knock it off.
Wow. That's crazy.

Makes me feel grateful to have gone to school in the ghetto. At least we had metal detectors, cops, dogs, etc to keep us safe from the teachers.

Public schools 1
Parochial schools 0

Old 02-28-2018, 01:23 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Good guy with a gun.
Oh, you know him? You know his motives and his state of mind? Tell us more. I know plenty of teachers from my past and present who would never be considered "good" people. Ones profession does not make them "good" or "bad" for that matter.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:24 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
The NRA is a separate debate, they aren't the 2nd Amendment just because they fight for it, and just because they fight for it doesn't mean anyone who fights for the 2nd Amendment needs to support/fight for the NRA. Its a false equivalent.
I didn't bring them up in the first place.

They fight for the loosest possible interpretation of the 2nd because firearms manufacturers need to sell guns.

People hear their rhetoric and get duped into thinking that that stance is a smart stance.

It is only if you are in the gun selling business.

If you are an average citizen who desires gun ownership and a safer world for your family, you have to think about common-sense laws and how to design those while maintaining respect for the 2nd Amendment.

Both of these things are not mutually exclusive.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:24 PM

29,505 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Call me crazy but I'd think that any shooting in any school would be a pretty hot topic.

Here's my position. Though I am a supporter of second amendment rights, I don't feel comfortable with the idea of armed teachers, mainly because I don't like the idea of our schools being awash with guns. I think it would be too easy for a student to get hold of a gun in this case. I also think that it's sort of a conflict of interest to expect a teacher to shoot a student. But that's just my personal opinion - I'll let the schools sort this out. I do know a lot of teachers and not a one of them likes the idea of teachers carrying guns to school.

I do think that before we consider that, we might take a long hard look at security in our schools. Seems that in many districts, the cost of administration salaries is a burden, but one that's being carried. I'd bet that most parents would be happy to have the administration salaries cut by, say, 10 percent and have those funds diverted into better security systems for the campuses. And better mental health screening at the campus level.

I think it's terrible that teachers even have to think about arming themselves against students or former students. What a sickening scenario that is.

I completely agree. And to know that there is nothing to protect them but a "gun free zone" sign.

Scary stuff indeed.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
This story makes no sense.

He wouldn't open the door so the kids reported him to the principal?
The principal shows up and *hears* a gunshot?

No threats no conversations kids heard nothing. But they report him to principal? Was it even his classroom?

Too little reporting, no details, timeline of *events* makes no sense.
If you needed to get into a classroom or what have you, and your teacher had you locked out and was behaving strangely, who would you tell?

Old 02-28-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I completely agree. And to know that there is nothing to protect them but a "gun free zone" sign.

Scary stuff indeed.
Nobody's stupid enough to think a sign is a protection. It is simply a stated notice.

Most schools have armed resource officers. Parkland had 4 of them.

Which is more than a good many schools throughout the country.

Arming teachers is a terrible idea.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:27 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Life is dangerous, glad people are trying to preserve our right to be able to defend ourselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The NRA is only trying to preserve the right of firearms manufacturers to make more money.

They don't care about anyone's rights or they'd support reasonable gun legislation.

They only support "sell as many guns as possible" legislation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I didn't bring them up in the first place.

They fight for the loosest possible interpretation of the 2nd because firearms manufacturers need to sell guns.

People hear their rhetoric and get duped into thinking that that stance is a smart stance.

It is only if you are in the gun selling business.

If you are an average citizen who desires gun ownership and a safer world for your family, you have to think about common-sense laws and how to design those while maintaining respect for the 2nd Amendment.

Both of these things are not mutually exclusive.
So in red right there, thats not you bringing the NRA into the conversation?

Old 02-28-2018, 01:27 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
So after we have armed teachers, who protects students from a deranged teacher with a gun?
Oh, just wait until those parent vs teacher shootouts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies