Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 12:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It is terrible but when you have a society loaded with guns and a culture with millions of people who have a sick obsession with them, you get what we have today.
I have guns in my home. In fact, we have more guns than residents in our house. The guns don't do anything unless a human picks them up, which would be hard for most humans to do since they don't have the combination to my very heavy safe.

I grew up surrounded by guns, coming from a large family with lots of rural ties and hunters in the mix. Never once did I fear any of these guns nor were they ever abused. I did, however, defend myself against a criminal once with a gun, and I'm very glad I was able to do so because otherwise I was outnumbered and the outcome probably wouldn't have been pretty.

I guess some might even say my father was "obsessed" with guns because he was a gun collector. However, he was also mentally stable and a very responsible gun owner. No issues whatsoever.

I agree that a huge part of the issue lies in our culture. That's a deep topic and I'm not sure what the answer is.

I do hope that part of the answer is not "taking away my guns." I am a law abiding, responsible, mentally stable woman whose husband travels out of state a lot on business. I want to be able to protect myself from criminals, as I have had to do in the past.

I'd hate to be a teacher these days. In fact, I wouldn't be. It seems like it would be a very depressing job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 12:41 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Strange that this has never happened before until we have a serious push to arm teachers.

I guess this is just one heck of a coincident.
Obviously, he was paid by the Deep State to ruin his name and end his career only to stop the "Arm the Teachers" movement which 110% of teachers want anyway.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Strange that this has never happened before until we have a serious push to arm teachers.

I guess this is just one heck of a coincident.
Never?

Old 02-28-2018, 12:43 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,100 times
Quote:
Davidson, a 53-year-old social studies teacher, has been at Dalton High since 2004. In 2012, he was recognized as the school’s top teacher, according to the district, which wrote about his non-traditional path to teaching in a profile that year.
It's safe to say he's not receiving that award in 2018.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:50 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,456,284 times
Teachers are now dangerous. Time to arm the students. Bet the NRA would be in favor because gun retailers will get to sell more guns. Plus more guns will keep us safe.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:53 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Teachers are now dangerous. Time to arm the students. Bet the NRA would be in favor because gun retailers will get to sell more guns. Plus more guns will keep us safe.
Life is dangerous, glad people are trying to preserve our right to be able to defend ourselves.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
It probably just wasn't reported because it was not the "hot topic of the week."
My 6th grade teacher( late 60's) had an emotional meltdown in front of the class. She took a pistol out of her purse and placed in on her desk. The class froze in their seats.

She eventually propelled her head through the glass window in the door. Nuns took the class to the adjacent church and told us to pray for the teacher.

Parents were never informed of the incident. I told my mother who laughed and told me to knock it off.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:02 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,269,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Life is dangerous, glad people are trying to preserve our right to be able to defend ourselves.
It's kinda a catch-22. Yes, you have right to bear arms to protect yourself, but at the same time criminals have a right to a gun as well which makes their job easier.

In the end, no on wins and America has highest gun homicide rate, suicide by gun, murder rate and violent crime rate. There has to be a balance between individual rights and societal rights. Unfortunately pro-gun people look at everything from individual perspective only, without looking at bigger picture.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:06 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
How about we wait till we find out what party he is registered to....because since everything these days comes down to that isn't that all that matters? Then the regulars can pick their side and the fight begins....
Let me save you time time:

If the shooter is...

Conservative: It's all fake news and this is obviously a Soros plant.

Liberal: This is obviously a deranged liberal, because all liberals are deranged, but more likely a Soros plant. FALSE FLAG, CRISIS ACTORS... etc.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:06 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
It's especially dangerous when your teacher is firing off a shot in a classroom for no earthly reason. And then taking 30 to 45 minutes to get him to surrender?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies