Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 10:00 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Overwhelmingly Asians moved to the US poor, faced discrimination working manual labor jobs for generations. They faced internment camps, laws saying that they couldn't marry non-Asians while not allowing Asian women to move here, the Chinese Exclusion Act, etc....and yet Asians are the most successful racial group in many crucial categories in the US and clearly outperforming whites in key areas.

Asian men earn 17% more dollars than white men. Asian women earn 6% more dollars than white women. This uses median incomes.

Asians have the longest lifespan in the US. In fact, Asians average 7.6 years longer in life than whites in the US.

Asians are extremely less likely to be obese in the US than all other races.

Asians make up 4.8% of the population, but only 1.6% of the inmates. They are the least proportionally represented race in prison....Asians are the least likely to be targeted by cops.....meanwhile they are the most disproportionately represented group in the medical field with 8.3% of all doctors. Asians make up 9% of the US college student population, which makes them the most overrepresented racial group in college.

The SAT is broken into 3 sections: Math, Writing, and Critical Reading...Asians score a decisive 1st in Math and 1st in Writing, while finishing a close 2nd in Critical Reading....so Asians are performing best overall on the SAT. Some people say that IQ tests show a cultural bias even though they have spent years trying to eliminate any bias and even administer IQ tests based on patterns and the like...and yet the IQ tests are still structured in such a manner to favor Asians despite trying to erase the bias.

...colleges are recognizing that Asians have a special privilege, which is why admissions per a Princeton Study says that some races get a 230 bonus to their SAT score, while Asians get a 50 point SUBTRACTION penalty off of their SAT score to level admissions.

Asians spend more time a week doing homework than other groups.

Statistics show that single parent home kids are far more at risk for a wide range of negative life-outcomes. Asians are the least likely to be raised in a single parent home at just 16%, which is noticeably better than whites at 24%, and astronomically better than other groups, which are as high as 66%.

Is there Asian Privilege in America, a structural bias to favor them? Perhaps racism in favor of them?

Or do they just work harder, have a solid culture, etc...all while the US offers opportunities for those with merit?

I ask, because a teacher I know has an entire unit on White Privilege and compares stats of whites against groups that aren't white (or Asian) and then argues that the structural system of the US is racist to keep down minorities. If this is true, then isn't this racist structure also creating Asian Privilege?
It's just good evidence that all the liberal claims of "white privilege" and "supremacy" and "racism" to explain disparate outcomes is not only untrue but just racist targeting of whites. Using the same liberal logic and rationalizations, you could argue the average white person not to mention Hispanic and black
are disadvantaged to Asians.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:05 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Asian-americans are discriminated against. students receive a major deduction on their college admission scores on college admission applications because they are Asian-americans. nothing to do with family income. just because they are Asian. very unfair.
But so do whites receive a deduction relative to blacks and Hispanics. So if we go by outcomes are explained by discrimination, then one could argue whites are too discriminated against since they don't do as well as Asians.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:10 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Asian American here. Whites and blacks can continue to argue over who's the real victim while we Asians just sit back and watch the show

Old 03-01-2018, 04:03 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Asian American here. Whites and blacks can continue to argue over who's the real victim while we Asians just sit back and watch the show
Or many are too busy handling affairs properly to play the victim or become social justice warriors preaching false narratives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's just good evidence that all the liberal claims of "white privilege" and "supremacy" and "racism" to explain disparate outcomes is not only untrue but just racist targeting of whites. Using the same liberal logic and rationalizations, you could argue the average white person not to mention Hispanic and black
I agree.

I think this country offers lots of opportunities and businesses care about the color green more than any other color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
If Asian privilege exist why is there an investigation underway by the Justice department?

"The Trump administration is preparing to investigate whether Asian Americans are treated unfairly as a result of admissions policies intended to boost the chances of other racial minorities...."

https://www.propublica.org/article/w...vileged-whites

There may exist a small form of it with rich kids whose parents can buy their kid's an ivy league education but for the most part, Asians succeed because of a variety of reasons. These include more family pressure to succeed and adeptness at taking advantage of what's available in their community (great school systems, programs to further our development, etc.)...

In fact, if anything, many Asians in California or other states where there's a larger Asian presence experience reverse discrimination trying to get into college. Then when we enter the business world, we have to prove ourselves even more than our non-Asian peers to get promotions because of the perception that we're too passive, soft-spoken and not leader material....

Yes.

I don't agree Asian Privilege exists, but liberals take stats by race, ignore Asians and then show how whites outperform other races in key areas and use that as "incontrovertible proof" of white privilege, while ignoring that Asians outperform whites in all of the key areas including even in police interaction bias.

If there is white privilege though, there must be Asian privilege.

White privilege is used to justify affirmative action, but as far as college admissions go, Asians face racism...not just in the dismissal of merit, but also in stereotypes where colleges call Asians "quiet" and use that as justification for hammering them.

Quote:
He’s quiet and, of course, wants to be a doctor,” read the reviewer’s note on one application. Another said that an applicant’s “scores and application seem so typical of other Asian applications I’ve read: extraordinarily gifted in math with the opposite extreme in English.” Admissions staff typically ranked Asian-Americans lower than whites in “personal qualities” and repeatedly described them as “being quiet/shy, science/math oriented, and hard workers.”

.....In No Longer Separate, Not Yet Equal: Race and Class in Elite College Admission and Campus Life, published in 2009, Princeton professor Thomas Espenshade and coauthor Alexandra Radford demonstrate that, controlling for other variables, Asian students applying to highly selective private colleges face odds against their admission three times as high as whites, six times as high as Hispanics, and sixteen times as high as blacks. To put it another way: Asians need SAT scores 140 points higher than whites, 270 points higher than Hispanics, and an incredible 450 points higher than blacks (out of 1,600 points) to get into these schools. An Asian applicant with an SAT score of 1,500, that is, has the same chance of being accepted as a white student with a 1,360, a Latino with a 1,230, or an African-American with a 1,050. Among candidates in the highest (1,400–1,600) SAT range, 77 percent of blacks, 48 percent of Hispanics, 40 percent of whites, and only 30 percent of Asians are admitted.

In an exhaustive 2012 article, “The Myth of American Meritocracy,” Ron Unz looked at ethnic acceptance rates at elite schools since 1980 and found “a highly intriguing pattern” at Harvard and at the other Ivies. Asian enrollment at Harvard increased from about 4 percent to 10 percent during the early and mid-1980s. Asian enrollment then spiked after the Department of Education Office of Civil Rights (OCR) began an investigation in 1988 into an earlier complaint that Harvard was discriminating against Asians, peaking at 20.6 percent in 1993. The OCR closed the investigation in 1990. Beginning in 1994, the first year in which all students were admitted after the close of the investigation, “The Asian numbers went into reverse, generally stagnating or declining during the two decades which followed. . . .
https://www.city-journal.org/html/fe...ply-14180.html

Old 03-01-2018, 05:13 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
The stereotypical Asian family does exist. I know a couple. Their kids study non-stop. Note I know more that are not that stereotype but I do know a couple where the kids study for HOURS EVERY DAY even during the summer.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:42 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
In most cases no. Asians aren't preferred over race BECAUSE of their RACE. They work their tails off for everything they have as we all should, it's not given to most of them. Some of the Asian folks I know speak of having to work twice as hard to get to the same position as some of the white people in the US. There are exceptions. That is the difference. They face prejudice and difficulty with bias as well.

When I was stationed in Asia including South Korea, I appreciated the work ethic most of the South Koreans displayed. I learned about medical holistic practices that go back centuries in China while attending UNC from Chinese students and their families.

My friends are Chinese and Japanese that came to this country have really given me insight on the Chinese and Japanese culture. Again, coming from personal interaction with the culture. They are great folks!

Old 03-01-2018, 06:04 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post

Then when we enter the business world, we have to prove ourselves even more than our non-Asian peers to get promotions because of the perception that we're too passive, soft-spoken and not leader material....
LOL I am the embodiment of this stereotype. I'm a manager. I normally don't say anything at our regular meetings. Others try to talk as much as possible. I only say something when I need to. I realize that my lack of talking in the meetings probably make others think I don't know what the hell is going on LOL.

I just don't see myself getting into one of these contests where I have to constantly prove how much I know. There are guys at meetings that talk constantly, sometimes over each other. I don't know how productive that can be...

Old 03-01-2018, 06:10 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post

The focus on "white privilege" is the exact same playbook that both Hitler, and the communists used to implement totalitarian regimes and theft of property and personhood.

Hitler didn't rise to power because he didn't like "the Jewish religion"... he had no problem with other religions. It's why he allied with the Muslims and admired the machismo of that religion.

No... he did EXACTLY what liberals and progressives do today: Focus in on a subset of people, and declare that that group oppresses everyone else, only serve themselves, keep gains and profits for themselves, and profit at the expense of everyone else. Therefore, it's justifiable to remove, confiscate, etc. from the ones who *control everything* in order to restore a just society.

And make no bones about it. What we see happening in South Africa right now is and will be praised by leftists in America, who hope to make it a reality in this country in the future.

For the communists, of course, it was the narrative that anyone with ownership or education or success had achieved same by theft and unfair play. We know the results of THAT.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:14 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
That's catchy. And a google search reveals that it's an entirely original phrase. Well done. Watch, that will show up in some Ta-Nehesi Coats essay.
Maybe, but if it did Coates would probably use some solid context.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:45 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The focus on "white privilege" is the exact same playbook that both Hitler, and the communists used to implement totalitarian regimes and theft of property and personhood.

Hitler didn't rise to power because he didn't like "the Jewish religion"... he had no problem with other religions. It's why he allied with the Muslims and admired the machismo of that religion.

No... he did EXACTLY what liberals and progressives do today: Focus in on a subset of people, and declare that that group oppresses everyone else, only serve themselves, keep gains and profits for themselves, and profit at the expense of everyone else. Therefore, it's justifiable to remove, confiscate, etc. from the ones who *control everything* in order to restore a just society.

And make no bones about it. What we see happening in South Africa right now is and will be praised by leftists in America, who hope to make it a reality in this country in the future.

For the communists, of course, it was the narrative that anyone with ownership or education or success had achieved same by theft and unfair play. We know the results of THAT.
And that's why they are so eager to grab our guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies