Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 11:24 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX View Post
It's a shame somebody has a merge the topics issue

I'm not even sure what we are actually arguing about now
The subject is why the Oscar show viewers are staying away in droves........ The 'movies' have held generation after generation in awe. They put the 'show' in show business. From it's earliest days, the public have been interested in the personalities in films. What are they like, in real life, we wanted to know.

So, the fan magazines started way back in the 1920s. The articles in them showed stars at home, and places like the beach. The public ate it up, especially photos of their beautiful homes.

When television began, it was obvious the Oscar show needed televising, and so it was. Now we could see the stars dressed to kill, and listen as they babbled excitedly when winning an Oscar. It became massive television.

Then, sometime in the early 70s, it started to become political. George C Scott started it off refusing to accept his Oscar for Patton, and then a few years later Marlon Brando sent a Native American girl to collect his for The Godfather.

Instead of a chance to show off the great movies of that year, and the glamorous stars, it slowly but surely became what it is today.

As I said in my last post, I believe we are seeing the death throes of the movies. What has fascinated us, the general public, for close on a hundred years is losing our attention. The producers are desperately churning out their super hero movies, and yes, some are making pots of money. But, they are losing the older audience.

The young have many distractions, and the movies is just one of them. There will always be a market for visual entertainment. There is some amazing television being made in recent years. But, I can see the movie house dying, and a thing of the past.

The Oscar show has become boring, and there just isn't the masses of talent as in the past. They can keep putting lipstick on the pig, but the public are seeing through it. We are bored with the stars, and their political comments. We sniff the air, and it's full of hypocrisy. They seem to feel we need to know their opinions, and boy, we sure have better agree, or we are racists, or sexist, and need to wear the latest ribbon on our coats.

I find all this very sad, because there are few bigger movie fans than me. Hollywood just isn't making movies I want to see. I want to be entertained, and told a great story. I want to see movies that remain in the memory, with great performances. I want to look at beautiful stars, and yes, craggy faced character actors. I guess that time is over, but also, I believe, in not very many years, so is Hollywood's.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:34 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times
English Dave said it.

Cheers!

Old 03-05-2018, 11:42 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,025,288 times
The number of viewers is less important than the quality of the viewer. I bet as numbers go down the average income and education level of the viewer rises. Advertisers need people who can actually buy their products.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:44 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
English Dave said it.

Cheers!
Yes he did!

I used to go to the movies maybe three times a month...now maybe once every three years and then it has to be on a weekday matinee.

Why? multiple reasons:

1. Nothing new, just comic book crap, horrible remakes of older movies, too expensive now, too many people tlaking, putting feet up on the seat, looking at their phones, crying babies, 20 minutes of crap before the movie and of course they are politicizing and pushing agendas too much in the movie itself.

2. Off screen that actors are pushing their politics so hard that it ruins watching them act...I no longer see the character but rather THEIR character...and I won't support it.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:45 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
The number of viewers is less important than the quality of the viewer. I bet as numbers go down the average income and education level of the viewer rises. Advertisers need people who can actually buy their products.
That isn't how advertising is quantified though.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:19 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,275,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Because rants with no humor are so productive and healthy.
Priceless considering how many rants you have in this forum!

Old 03-06-2018, 08:51 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,569,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Ridiculous post, how about posting practically every Hollywood liberal celebrity with Weinstein. Please, stop embarrassing yourself.
Quote:
Never said I'm a fan of trump or his family. Take a search on the net and you'll see countless photos of liberal celebs lovingly hanging on to Harvey. I mean really, stop embarrassing yourselves.
Quote:
No you don't get it.
Its you, hon, that doesn't get it.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:54 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I've posted and reposted an article talking about the general decline of tv ratings in all areas but the rise in revenue from ads.

And that's all that matters.

The millennials drive the market right now and they aren't tv people. They don't watch the SuperBowl, they don't watch the Oscars, they don't watch the President's State of the Union.

They just don't.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:55 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I've posted and reposted an article talking about the general decline of tv ratings in all areas but the rise in revenue from ads.

And that's all that matters.

The millennials drive the market right now and they aren't tv people. They don't watch the SuperBowl, they don't watch the Oscars, they don't watch the President's State of the Union.

They just don't.
AND I'm deeply disturbed that our President is taking the time to tweet and retweet about ratings.

There are much more important things he should be focusing on.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:09 AM
SFX

1,639 posts, read 895,505 times
The Prez is a troll?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies