Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 04:57 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times

Advertisements

hollywood does more harm to left wing politics than almost anything else , real left wing politics is about protecting labour rights and fighting to try and make housing not beyond the reach of most working people

its not about some millionaire attention seeker virtue signalling while wearing a hundred thousand dollar frock and clutching a nine inch gold statue

Old 03-09-2018, 06:09 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Coming from the side that thinks there's 50+ genders, and that men should use ladies' rooms, that's rich.
I've always found the fascination with other people's sexual peccadillos interesting as it relates to conservatives.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:40 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Most people read works of fiction because they are personally inspirational, illustrate something illuminating about the human condition - those actions that are uplifting, positive, are stoic in the face of tragedy, that demonstrates man's better angels, or showcases protagonists the readers aspires to be, or to be like.

Nobody would aspire to be abnormal.

You don't read Hunchback of Notre Dame and think, "Gee, I wish I had a severe deformity."
Perhaps not, but *you* might read it and empathize with a character who is abused by society simply because of who he is.
*You* might even come to the conclusion that it might be wise to look beyond the external and try to see the value beyond that initial revulsion.

That’s assuming of course, that empathy is an emotion actually accessible in one’s “tool-kit.”
Reading many of these posts, I have my doubts.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:52 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Contrary to the bashers here claiming the number of Oscars viewers are dropping because of so-called "preaching and political soapboxes" the numbers are dropping because people have many other ways to watch shows like that than they did in the past. You don't have just that one time slot to see shows like that with on-demand and live streaming which aren't counted in the ratings.
For the most part, this.

Though it is hard to argue against the sheer bloat that makes up this particular event.
Part of the problem is that we are watching what is essentially a yearly meeting of a particular industry.
Much of the stuff is only of interest to those in the industry.
I think they need to scale down what is televised to the major awards, song performances and in memoriam and keep the rest of it off-air.
Sure, record the whole she-bang and make it available online for anyone who wants to see it, but the current format has got to change for today’s audience.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:56 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
For the most part, this.

Though it is hard to argue against the sheer bloat that makes up this particular event.
Part of the problem is that we are watching what is essentially a yearly meeting of a particular industry.
Much of the stuff is only of interest to those in the industry.
I think they need to scale down what is televised to the major awards, song performances and in memoriam and keep the rest of it off-air.
Sure, record the whole she-bang and make it available online for anyone who wants to see it, but the current format has got to change for today’s audience.
I agree. Two hours is plenty. All the filler crap is boring.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:40 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
You're the one who brought child molesting into a conversaton about the Oscars, bro. Seek help.

No. What I did was crush your deviant theory about sexuality. Try to keep up.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:38 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,389 times
The Oscars are normally boring (just way too long). I'd rather the Golden Globes, the Image Awards, or even the Emmys.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:03 AM

37,169 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
No. What I did was crush your deviant theory about sexuality. Try to keep up.
Children are not capable of consent, which puts sexual attraction to them in an entirely different category than a love story between two consenting adults, regardless of gender. If a novel deals with BDSM as the elaborate sexual theater it is, it is a different subject entirely from the writings of De Sade or Reage which deal with master/slave relationships where one side of the transacton has no say in anything that happens to them. The "consensual" part is the difference. Being born either gay or pedophile is fine and normal, and part of our original equipment. We don't control that part of our psyche, any more than we control our parentage or place of birth. Two gay people falling in love is totally natural. When a child below the age of consent is involved in either a homosexual or heterosexual relationship, it is unnatural, and adult contact is either called sexual battery or rape depending on the extent of the action.

If you are a pedophile and keep it to yourself and live in your fantasy world, everything's cool. When you act on your desires and hurt a child I will personally volunteer to drop the trap door for your exit.

The reason a lot of people will not read anything on either subject is that they fear their own inner desires. That is why politicians who screech loudly about gays get caught with their same sex lovers so frequently. That which they profess to hate and fear the most as abnormal is what is eating them alive with desire.

The book "Call Me By Your Name", which I have almost finished, is not designed to appeal to anyone's prurient interests. It is a cerebral work, and as I said previously, suffers incalculable damage for two reasons - One, Andre Aciman, the author, is not gay, and it shows. I probably have twenty gay friends who have started the book and quit reading after the first few pages because it simply is not believable to them. Two, this is a story that could have been covered in ten to fifteen pages IMHO, and made a decent story. It is padded with far too many hearts and flowers to hold the interest of anyone save the most romantically inclined. I was hoping for some insight in case I ever play a gay character, but it was the wrong choice.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:08 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Being born either gay or pedophile is fine and normal,
LM-O!

You actually said that! I stopped reading there. Seriously sick. "Progressives" have the nerve to say conservatives are deranged.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:11 AM

37,169 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
LM-O!

You actually said that! I stopped reading there. Seriously sick. "Progressives" have the nerve to say conservatives are deranged.
You have the right to remain ignorant.

Have a good weekend. "Murica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies