Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 11:36 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You have no children, do you? It's glaringly apparent by the appalling ignorance of your posts.
Parents need to be held responsible for the actions of their children.

It's just like if your dog bites someone, you are responsible for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 11:38 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,962,827 times
Pretty much the absolute dumbest thing I have heard on the subject.
People who do mass shootings of innocent people are deranged. They lack empathy and don't have a conscience. They are thrill killers. They come from all types of backgrounds and parents. They can be mentally ill but being mentally ill doesn't make them killers. They often start off killing and torturing animals as children, then graduate to humans, but for them it's just a thrill. Jeffrey Dahmer had good and caring parents. Kids can hide their activities from parents at any age. They can present an image to their parents that the parents want to see. 99.9999% of 50 million kids don't need to be taught not to kill. The one in a million who become serial killers and commit mass shootings wouldn't be changed by anything they would be taught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Parents, raise your children properly and teach your children to obey the laws and NOT to commit murder!

Why is that so damn hard?

I am so tired of people blaming others for their own problems.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:40 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I do not understand people who keep guns in their home when living under the same roof as a deeply troubled person. I do not understand people who allow a deeply troubled person to bring guns into their house.
Agreed....to a point.

Not about guns, but you may think you know your child yet you may be blind to it. In my case, I never saw any troubles with my kids....until the day my daughter told me she popped 60 Tylenol and I got her to the hospital within minutes of her risking losing her life. So yeah, I thought I "knew" her, but my eyes were opened wide.

You can't stop a kid from somehow getting their hands on a gun outside the home. If you do own a gun, you just have to be responsible and ensure it's locked up and you've thrown away the key in a place only you can find it.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:46 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Parents need to be held responsible for the actions of their children.

It's just like if your dog bites someone, you are responsible for it.
So that would be a no, you have no children. So you have no clue what you're talking about, just like all the other know-it-alls who never raised a child but think they are somehow qualified to instruct those who have. I always tune them out because they are clueless.

And you are clueless. I was pretty sure that was the case, but thank you for confirming it.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:53 AM

19,644 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Pretty much the absolute dumbest thing I have heard on the subject.
People who do mass shootings of innocent people are deranged. They lack empathy and don't have a conscience. They are thrill killers. They come from all types of backgrounds and parents. They can be mentally ill but being mentally ill doesn't make them killers. They often start off killing and torturing animals as children, then graduate to humans, but for them it's just a thrill. Jeffrey Dahmer had good and caring parents. Kids can hide their activities from parents at any age. They can present an image to their parents that the parents want to see. 99.99999% of kids don't need to be taught not to kill. The one in a million who become serial killers and commit mass shootings wouldn't be changed by anything they would be taught.
Mass shooters are different than serial killers. Mass shooters do not tend to be charming and manipulative like Bundy or Dahmer. They do not tend to have good communication skills and the parents know they have major problems but treat them as if they are normal.

Maybe Lanza would not have done it if his mother had gotten him the help he needed early and if there wasn't a cabinet full of guns in his house which she taught him to shoot.

Maybe Cruz would not have done it if his mental issues had been taken more seriously and if he was not allowed to own guns by his mother or the other adults he lived with.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:23 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,962,827 times
Agree with no guns the mass shootings wouldn't have happened. Other countries have seen dramatic decreases in gun related killings by restricting their availability. Every statistic says a gun in the house is many times more likely to kill the owner, a family member or friend than an intruder. But the parents of these types of kids are generally at their wits end. They are generally unable to cope, frightened for their own safety and just waiting for the kid to grow up and get out of the house. You can't fault them for anything other than making the guns available. "Getting help" generally doesn't prevent a person from becoming a killer unless they are locked away somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Mass shooters are different than serial killers. Mass shooters do not tend to be charming and manipulative like Bundy or Dahmer. They do not tend to have good communication skills and the parents know they have major problems but treat them as if they are normal.

Maybe Lanza would not have done it if his mother had gotten him the help he needed early and if there wasn't a cabinet full of guns in his house which she taught him to shoot.

Maybe Cruz would not have done it if his mental issues had been taken more seriously and if he was not allowed to own guns by his mother or the other adults he lived with.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:25 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Parents, raise your children properly and teach your children to obey the laws and NOT to commit murder!

Why is that so damn hard?

I am so tired of people blaming others for their own problems.
All other countries have poorly-raised children, but no other country has the volume of mass shootings as the U.S.

Try another guess.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
All other countries have poorly-raised children, but no other country has the volume of mass shootings as the U.S.

Try another guess.
Per capita, Norway and France.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Agree with no guns the mass shootings wouldn't have happened. Other countries have seen dramatic decreases in gun related killings by restricting their availability. Every statistic says a gun in the house is many times more likely to kill the owner, a family member or friend than an intruder. But the parents of these types of kids are generally at their wits end. They are generally unable to cope, frightened for their own safety and just waiting for the kid to grow up and get out of the house. You can't fault them for anything other than making the guns available. "Getting help" generally doesn't prevent a person from becoming a killer unless they are locked away somewhere.
What’s your motive for posting this lie?

Old 03-06-2018, 12:40 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Per capita, Norway and France.
No, Norway and France do not have more mass shootings per capita than the US.

You have to really torture the statistics to get that result, like that idiotic study that only looked at 2009 - 2015 that was conducted by this guy. You know, "massage" the data to exclude most American shootings, then shrink the time frame to produce the desired results.

Last edited by le roi; 03-06-2018 at 12:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies