Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 11:18 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,096,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post

3. Why are people quick to jump to conclusions in the absence of facts? It is reckless, and irresponsible. If the police, and other agencies do not know the motive for the attacks, why are arm chair observers quick to rush to judgement?
It was the Austin Chief of Police himself, Brian Manley, who said these bombings "may be hate crimes" but also indicated that they are in the early stages of the investigation and currently don't have a whole lot of information.

Most normal-thinking people would agree with you that it is way too early to assume anything. That being said, all three victims are minorities, so this being a hate crime is on the list of possibilities and has not yet been ruled out.

Last edited by NeutralParty; 03-13-2018 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 12:47 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,706,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
For what it may be worth to you and anyone else, the Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said himself yesterday that (obviously) it's too early to tell, but the bombings "may be a hate crime." All three victims are minorities, and two of the three bombings were in majority black neighborhoods.
We don't have majority black neighborhoods here in Austin any longer. Maybe in the 1970's.
Race doesn't separate us here in Austin. Economic stature does.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:51 PM

One thing these people had in common, the properties they lived in, were McMansions. Nice newer homes, built in older neighborhoods, where they tear down the old structure and go to town on the new structure, raising everyones property values and pushing the impoverished and those on fixed incomes out of the old neighborhoods close to town.

Gentrification is a big controversy here.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:16 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,046,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
If you get a package and you know you haven't ordered anything, WTF are you going to bring it inside and open it? Not trying to blame the victims but, common sense doesn't seem to be too common nowadays.
Do you live alone? No family or friends?

Not every packsge that shows up on my doorstep is something I've ordered. I don't keep track of everrything my SO orders, nor do I alert him every time I purchase something online. We also sometimes get packages from friends/fsmily that we don't know about beforehand.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:17 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,372,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
One thing these people had in common, the properties they lived in, were McMansions. Nice newer homes, built in older neighborhoods, where they tear down the old structure and go to town on the new structure, raising everyones property values and pushing the impoverished and those on fixed incomes out of the old neighborhoods close to town.

Gentrification is a big controversy here.
No, they most certainly were not. The Monday, midday attack was most certainly not in a McMansion neighborhood. CNN actually had a factual article that clearly shows the three properties. Cross walk that data with Google Maps, and you can see the neighborhoods in question While there is some gentrification going on in east Austin, the two attacks yesterday were not in gentrified areas.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:22 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,729,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Not trying to blame the victims but, common sense doesn't seem to be too common nowadays.
Looks like you succeeded without trying then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
No, they most certainly were not. The Monday, midday attack was most certainly not in a McMansion neighborhood. CNN actually had a factual article that clearly shows the three properties. Cross walk that data with Google Maps, and you can see the neighborhoods in question While there is some gentrification going on in east Austin, the two attacks yesterday were not in gentrified areas.
If you live in Austin you will know what I'm talking about. Go look at the actual house or address it on google map street view. You will see exactly what I'm talking about.
The McMansion neighborhood?? Say what?
McMansion is a newer home in the middle of a rundown neighborhood.
It would not be a mcMansion in a neighborhood of them..... It would be an upperclass neighborhood, and not a nice home sticking out like a polished nail on a sore thumb.

Riverside Pleasant Valley most certainly is

26,979 posts, read 15,916,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
It may be racially motivated. Seems to be only going after African-Americans.
Most Killers kill those of the same race as they are. I would look for other things the victims have in common first.

Yes, if they are just random blacks a hate crime is a good possibility.

Last edited by whogo; 03-13-2018 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-13-2018, 02:08 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,372,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If you live in Austin you will know what I'm talking about. Go look at the actual house or address it on google map street view. You will see exactly what I'm talking about.
The McMansion neighborhood?? Say what?
McMansion is a newer home in the middle of a rundown neighborhood.
It would not be a mcMansion in a neighborhood of them..... It would be an upperclass neighborhood, and not a nice home sticking out like a polished nail on a sore thumb.

Riverside Pleasant Valley most certainly is

Yeah, these are McMansions...

Don't live in Austin, but within an hour, and have family off of Slaughter Lane, and Southwest Pkwy, so I know Austin well enough.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:38 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,613,577 times
There could be an intended target with the other bombings done to make it seem random.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies