Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which states have the highest Gun related death rates?
Those with the most restrictive gun laws. 37 55.22%
Those with the least restrictive gun laws. 30 44.78%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 05:15 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
No, they are not. Maybe by total count, but not per capita. Cities are about 20% less dangerous.

Study Shows That Cities Are Safer Than Rural Areas, Despite Crime | TIME.com
Again, you post an article that directly refutes your argument.

Quote:
Now it’s true that the risk of homicide is greater in big cities than it is in the countryside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 05:17 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
Again, you post an article that directly refutes your argument.
No, that's because YOU want to make it about homicide. I am and have from the beginning been talking about death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
You posted that article to dispute that Vermont was one of the safest states.
How is middle of the pack the safest?

Old 03-15-2018, 06:09 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,144,620 times
Why are you asking this as a poll, as if it's a matter of opinion? Whatever answer exists would be a statistical fact. Are you one of those Republicans who pretends facts don't exist?

Old 03-15-2018, 06:24 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
MA has some of the toughest laws and the lowest murder rate. Period. So liberal policies and careful gun checks obviously work. Some other states are 300% higher.

I really wonder why people keep asking question with such obvious answers.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:55 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
"Firearm deaths are significantly lower in states with stricter gun control legislation. Though the sample sizes are small, we find substantial negative correlations between firearm deaths and states that ban assault weapons, require trigger locks, and mandate safe storage requirements for guns."

https://www.theatlantic.com/national...-deaths/69354/
Zero correlation between state homicide rate and state gun laws

it seems to me that the key question should focus on state total homicide rates, or perhaps (for reasons I describe below) total intentional homicide plus accidental gun death rates. And it turns out that there is essentially zero correlation between these numbers and state gun laws.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:57 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
MA has some of the toughest laws and the lowest murder rate. Period. So liberal policies and careful gun checks obviously work. Some other states are 300% higher.

I'm sure you do, you've made up your mind and refuse to see anything that doesn't support your bias. New Hampshire has very loose gun laws and the lowest murder rate in the country. So clearly conservative gun policies obviously work. I wonder why people keep asking questions with such obvious answers.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:25 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,017,633 times
Restricting guns doesn't lower the murder rate. There are many different methods people have used to slaughter each other throughout history.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:53 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Actually your opening sentence is provably false. By murder rate New Hampshire, Hawaii, Maine and Utah have lower murder rates.

New Hampshire, Maine and Utah would be considered more gun friendly states, Hawai'i more restrictive.

Maybe you don't mean murder, but your claim is untrue. Indeed by homicide rates alone you could not separate states that are more or less restrictive by gun control laws.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:21 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I would prefer they were able to get the mental help they needed.
Me too.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:43 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Post New Hampshire has the lowest homicide rate in the USA, lower rate per capita than Canada

Why focus on "gun related death" rates? Seems like OP has an ax to grind

Maine, Vermont & New Hampshire have among the lowest overall violence and violent crime rate in North America, but firearms suicides put them high in the ranking of "gun related death" rates. That doesn't change the fact that homicides are vanishingly low in these states; To come up with a homicide count in my town not measured in fractions, you'd have to go to homicides per decade just to get the value up to '1'.

Choose your criteria carefully and you can get whatever preordained results your funding source wants to see published.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies