Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which states have the highest Gun related death rates?
Those with the most restrictive gun laws. 37 55.22%
Those with the least restrictive gun laws. 30 44.78%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 10:05 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times

Advertisements

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Alaska has the highest number of gun related deaths, but about 80% of them are suicides.

I think it's less about gun laws and more about the demographic of people who live in a city/state. Poor uneducated people often commit more violent crime with firearms than educated rich people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 11:23 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Actually your opening sentence is provably false. By murder rate New Hampshire, Hawaii, Maine and Utah have lower murder rates.

New Hampshire, Maine and Utah would be considered more gun friendly states, Hawai'i more restrictive.

Maybe you don't mean murder, but your claim is untrue. Indeed by homicide rates alone you could not separate states that are more or less restrictive by gun control laws.
You are using the fact that there are many different stats to disprove a point. Whether it is #1 or #2 doesn't matter much. Of course, the NRA has made certain that the government is not allowed to study the matter closer...specifically because they know what is going to be found.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firear...tates_by_state

#2 in that list (less firearm deaths).

Being the 2nd most densely populated state, MA. has enough people close enough to each other to be somewhat of a good example.

Maine - no one lives there, and many who do are FAR away from each other.
Utah - mostly all Mormon (historically)...

Reality matters. For the same reason, Alaska at the worst should be thrown aside....

Let's just pick a couple with decent sized populations and well-known gun laws.

PA: 11.36
Utah: (you mentioned): 11.69
TN and GA. are two good examples of places where "gun culture" is front and center: About 12 1/2

Florida - also 4X as many as MA - despite having a vast population of retirees who hardly can walk, let alone kill people with guns.

MA - 3.18

We are living in backwards bizzarro world. That is such a MASSIVE difference that, if the reader cannot grok it, there is nothing that I nor the world-at-large can do to dispute those falsities.

That is 4X the amount - or 400% larger. Not 5% or 10% or 30%. 400%.

In other news, heroin users live 10 years longer than those who don't. I'm sure I can prove it. Keith Richards. There......you go.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:17 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,676,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You are using the fact that there are many different stats to disprove a point. Whether it is #1 or #2 doesn't matter much. Of course, the NRA has made certain that the government is not allowed to study the matter closer...specifically because they know what is going to be found.
That's a funny way to phrase "the CDC produced biased reports with pre-ordained conclusions and both the director (Mark Rosenberg) and lead researcher (Arthur L. Kellermann) of CDC's Center for Injury Prevention started from the position of "we need gun bans" and then worked backwards to make the numbers fit the outcome they wanted"

Weird how "the government is not allowed to study the matter closer" yet they managed to produce “Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence,".

See also https://www.dallasnews.com/news/news...-to-do-its-job

Old 03-16-2018, 02:00 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firear...tates_by_state

#2 in that list (less firearm deaths).

Being the 2nd most densely populated state, MA. has enough people close enough to each other to be somewhat of a good example.

Maine - no one lives there, and many who do are FAR away from each other.
Utah - mostly all Mormon (historically)...

Reality matters. For the same reason, Alaska at the worst should be thrown aside....

Let's just pick a couple with decent sized populations and well-known gun laws.

PA: 11.36
Utah: (you mentioned): 11.69
TN and GA. are two good examples of places where "gun culture" is front and center: About 12 1/2

Florida - also 4X as many as MA - despite having a vast population of retirees who hardly can walk, let alone kill people with guns.

MA - 3.18

We are living in backwards bizzarro world. That is such a MASSIVE difference that, if the reader cannot grok it, there is nothing that I nor the world-at-large can do to dispute those falsities.

That is 4X the amount - or 400% larger. Not 5% or 10% or 30%. 400%.

In other news, heroin users live 10 years longer than those who don't. I'm sure I can prove it. Keith Richards. There......you go.
You might like to consider that your original statement was murder. You're now presenting "Gun Deaths" which is entirely different, like saying vehicular homicide but meaning RTAs.

It's a falsehood I'm not saying you did it intentionally but you are propagating a falsehood when you state Murder, then switch, after being chalkenged, to deaths by firearm.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:30 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
This does not address the specific question of the OP (no breakdown by states), but I just found this interesting interactive on 538 website about firearm deaths. They explain their method of collecting DATA on the main page.

What is most interesting is the fact that almost two-thirds of gun deaths are suicides. This is the kind of information congress ordered the CDC to stop researching, at the prodding of the NRA. They still get copies of death certificates.

Again, I thought it worthwhile to make available here.
Since I first posted this six days have passed.

Approximately 576 of our fellow citizens have since died by firearms. About forty of those were probably children.

May they rest in peace.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:39 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:

Approximately 576 of our fellow citizens have since died by firearms. About forty of those were probably children.

May they rest in peace.
Meanwhile 5000 people died from obesity related causes. Hopefully there are cheeseburgers in heaven.

Unlike the majority of gun deaths the cheeseburger eaters were not suicidal.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:46 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:

May they rest in peace.
Quote:
MA has some of the toughest laws and the lowest murder rate. Period. So liberal policies and careful gun checks obviously work. Some other states are 300% higher.

I really wonder why people keep asking question with such obvious answers.
What was the Massachusetts homicide rate before gun laws were passed? How did it compare to the nation as a whole? How do demographics, both race and income, effect the statistics?

Lastly, what gun law would reduce suicides?

Old 03-20-2018, 10:38 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,641,539 times
DC has the highest gun murder rate while California has the greatest absolute number of gun deaths.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_...tates_by_state

Old 03-20-2018, 11:23 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Meanwhile 5000 people died from obesity related causes. Hopefully there are cheeseburgers in heaven.

Unlike the majority of gun deaths the cheeseburger eaters were not suicidal.
Your callous disregard for human life is duly noted.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:45 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Your callous disregard for human life is duly noted.
Well, 578 people died in road accidents over the same period. Where's your outrage?

An interesting aside, did you know that per capita more Americans die on the roads than any other developed country. It makes one wonder how given the US holds #1 in both gun deaths and RTAs whether the cause is common, certainly it should be looked into. Certainly should we not be pursuing the loss of life on the roads as aggressively as by guns, IF, we truly regard human life as important?

That said, letting you off the hook, we as a nation don't regard human life as important, from the homicide rates of minorities, to road deaths, to easily preventable health issues. We just don't care as demonstrated by our actions, we talk about it, but talk is cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies