Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which states have the highest Gun related death rates?
Those with the most restrictive gun laws. 37 55.22%
Those with the least restrictive gun laws. 30 44.78%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 11:55 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
That's it, the only question here...
Another question designed to relate political ideology to gun deaths.

It doesn't matter - there are enough gun deaths to go around in both blue and red states. There's nothing the government can do about it because government doesn't have the answer. Good parenting is the answer and government has been the biggest enemy of that with their nanny state mentality.

The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 01:27 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Your callous disregard for human life is duly noted.
Your disregard for human life is duly noted. Your disregard is 8 times worse than my mine.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:51 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,461,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Well, 578 people died in road accidents over the same period. Where's your outrage?
What we need is an awareness, I have plenty of outrage against neglected issues.
Quote:
An interesting aside, did you know that per capita more Americans die on the roads than any other developed country. It makes one wonder how given the US holds #1 in both gun deaths and RTAs whether the cause is common, certainly it should be looked into. Certainly should we not be pursuing the loss of life on the roads as aggressively as by guns, IF, we truly regard human life as important?
I disagree with you here.

We very definitely pursue roadway safety very aggressively, with regulations on the manufacturers of vehicles, driver safety training and rules of the road based upon common sense legislation including speed limits. I don't know why you overlooked that, it is a poor comparison to an industry congress has forbidden the CDC to even study.
Quote:
That said, letting you off the hook, we as a nation don't regard human life as important, from the homicide rates of minorities, to road deaths, to easily preventable health issues. We just don't care as demonstrated by our actions, we talk about it, but talk is cheap.
I don't need to be let off of anything, thanks anyway.

I agree we as a society do not value human life. Money? yes, we value money. Wellbeing of our fellows? ... not so much.

As a society we have taken the seven deadly sins and pursue them as if they were virtues.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:33 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Meanwhile 5000 people died from obesity related causes. Hopefully there are cheeseburgers in heaven.

Unlike the majority of gun deaths the cheeseburger eaters were not suicidal.
Doesn't calculate. This is like adding PTSD suicides to astronaut chances of death.

Cheeseburgers can't be thrown at others and kill them....

Your post makes absolutely no sense.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:59 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I don't know where you get your stats from, but the United States is not the number one in murders, in fact it doesn't even make the top 50, nor the top 75, the U.S. comes in at 92nd on the list. Our neighbor to the north comes in at 89th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate
Your link wasn't in order. If you click on the " rate " toggle, it puts the list in order from lowest intentional homicides rate per 100,000 to highest.

This makes Canada at 1.68 intentional homicides per 100,000 number 62 on the list.

The Untied States is 4.88 intentional homicides per 100,000 number 126 on the list. Look at the company you're keeping.

Quite a bit of a different than 89 and 92.

Also, keep in mind, this list is for intentional homicides, and as the link says,

"The reliability of underlying national murder rate data may vary.[2] The legal definition of "intentional homicide" differs among countries. Intentional homicide may or may not include infanticide, assisted suicide or euthanasia.[3]"

Last edited by Natnasci; 03-21-2018 at 02:32 PM..

Old 03-28-2018, 01:32 AM

2,309 posts, read 902,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
That's it, the only question here...
It depends on how you break it down. If you count ALL deaths then there are states with lax gun laws with more deaths. However if you count gun homicides then stricter states edge out in that department. Then you can break it down to cities.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:42 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Thumbs down Stronger correlation to poverty, drugs, high population turnover (transience), etc.

Homicide is relatively rare -- why worry only about "gun related death rates" when you're much more likely to be permanently disabled by somebody using their fists or another blunt object? If you want to worry about risk, start at the top, not the bottom.

On the other hand, If I have to live somewhere such that violent crime is unavoidable, I'd prefer a place where "lax gun laws" enable the law-abiding have at least the option of self-defense -- even Chicago allows concealed carry now, as long as you're rich, white, and own a car.

I moved for tax reasons, and just happened to choose to live in Northern New England, where all violent crime is uncommon, gun laws are all-but non-existent, and New Hampshire's homicide rate is lower than Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies