Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 09:07 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,675,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Like most on your side, you ignore the result of implementing "gun free" buildings.

The unintended consequences of this national stupidity is plain to see. Bad guys always seek the path of least resistance.
I'm not asking for "gun free". Where'd you get that idea. I'm discussing the analogy between murder by gun and deaths by obesity. One you don't have a choice in; another you do.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:17 AM

57,368 posts, read 26,285,929 times
Did both of those people show up for the counter protest?

Old 03-24-2018, 09:22 AM

89,088 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Yes, this is our future. Hunting is not popular as it once was.
Oh, no, no, no, sweetie...

I live on the East coast. One CANNOT get/book a contractor for home building/repair/etc. once any of the hunting or big game fishing seasons open until they close. They're gone hunting and/or fishing. And they eat what they kill.

Just had a record bluefin tuna sportfish caught out here a few weeks ago.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:27 AM

89,088 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
You know, your sacred Second Amendment contains some words which are rarely quoted by gun enthusiasts: "A well-regulated militia".
It says a well-regulated militia is necessary to the security of a free State. It then goes on to explain that to provide for such, "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

A LOT of people who don't understand that have a reading comprehension problem and a complete lack of knowledge of US history, likely due to our country's crappy public schools.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:32 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,915,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The anti-gun students should march through the bad neighborhoods of DC too. They should really be protesting ALL of the children killed as innocent bystanders of ghetto violence.

There should be marches through other bad neighborhoods like in Chicago.
They're marching (gathering, actually) on Pennsylvania Avenue rather than on the Mall, as another group had previously requested access to the Mall - a very tiny inadequately identified group, btw, look it up. The students and their supporters (teachers, parents, grandparents, other concerned adults) followed the law to the letter in requesting a permit to gather. It was the District of Columbia authorities who decided where they would gather, not the demonstrators themselves. They do not have permission to gather and march anywhere else. I'm surprised you hadn't heard about this or didn't seem to know that permits are required before demonstrating in Washington...

I agree that innocent bystanders of violence should be mourned and their deaths protested, no matter where such deaths occur. But today's activities are focused on school shootings.

Perhaps you could organize another rally to protest innocent losses to violence in other places.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:32 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,760,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
You know, your sacred Second Amendment contains some words which are rarely quoted by gun enthusiasts: "A well-regulated militia".

One could term guards such as you describe as "well-regulated militias". They certainly resemble that more than they do those miserables who persist in shooting up our schools and killing our children.
Pity for you those aren't the only words it contains. It amazes me how profound people think they are being when they stop reading the amendment after those words. Maybe the founders should have put that bit at the end so people would have to read the rest of it first.

Here's the whole thing.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

It's got your wording about the militia but if you keep reading you eventually get to the underlined part.

It would seem to me, considering the nature of the rest of the bill of rights, that the amendment mentions the militia as a way of expanding on a right, not limiting it. Not only can I bear arms but I can also join a militia if I like!

But I'm no constitutional scholar.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Oh, no, no, no, sweetie...

I live on the East coast. One CANNOT get/book a contractor for home building/repair/etc. once any of the hunting or big game fishing seasons open until they close. They're gone hunting and/or fishing. And they eat what they kill.

Just had a record bluefin tuna sportfish caught out here a few weeks ago.
But your local example does not mean that hunting and fishing are as popular nation-wide as was once the case. Unless you conduct a survey of all American recreational hunters and fisherfolk, your example is interesting, but has no significance.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:36 AM

C-SPAN is streaming live online coverage of the rally, for those who'd like to witness it.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:37 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,095,026 times
Is there a Tide Pod float in today’s parade? How about clowns handing out Play-Doh and coloring books to the crowd?

Old 03-24-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Never thought I’d see people marching to have their rights taken away.
You don't consider attending school without being in fear of losing one's life a right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.