Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 07:47 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You should look up the words ban and restrict. They don’t mean the same thing.

And trucks are restricted, not everyone can rent one, not everyone can operate one, and they are all registered and regulated like crazy. So yes, let’s start by treating guns like rental trucks.
Invalid analogy. Owning and driving a truck is not an enumerated Constitutional Right.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Let's see, at current prices, and spread of which caliber I am practicing with, that would be:

YEP! Just about!

$389.19 at the high end of my practice intensity. It's a bit lower right now in that in the hour a week I spend at the range, I've only shot around 100 rounds pistol and no rifle. I am soon to get my rifles back to the range, however, and hope to up my intensity to 2 or 3 visits to the range a week, once my current commitments are completed.

Further, as I said in http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-...imes-week.html , I am looking for .22s to add to the calculations.

That's why one might find stockpiling because one buys what they can whenever it is cheap. One keeps several cases (1000-1250 rounds) of this or that in supply for history has shown, shortages are quite possible.

Eventually, I ought to get into reloading.

But it really all comes down to A and B.

A: I am not expected to miss.

B: If I miss and "that round" goes into someone else, I go to jail.

This reminds me of, years ago, a concealed holster I was looking at during a gun show. I observed to the salesman that it had no capacity for a spare magazine and the conversation went something like this: "Well, as a civilian, if you need more than one magazine, you're in the wrong gun fight."

QUITE FRANKLY, I don't want to be in any gun fight, but I do train for three magazine engagements. According the salesman, that's Special Forces stuff where you load up with as much as you can carry. To me, that's standard, such as the ability to clear a jam by dropping the magazine and going to the next one.

11 rounds on the USP means, say, I could do 3 body armor engagements (call that the worst case attacker) before needing to go to the next magazine, with two reserve rounds. One of the things about limiting someone to only 6 rounds is it means that they are unarmed during reloading. Great perhaps if they are the enemy but the pits if you are defending. That's one of the things I don't like about 1 of my 9mm's; it can't be fired when there is no magazine inserted. That's great for safety, the pits if you are reloading during an engagement.

Another thing about limiting the magazines is that they make some guns worthless. I have a mid size 1911 I bought at a pawn store. Went to load it but it wouldn't feed. Boy, did I feel cheated! Came to find out that my 6-7 round magazines, for my smaller 1911, were too short. I needed 8-9 round magazines and it works fine now.

"Gee, Tamara, is having that much fire power really necessary?"

Well, consider how many there were when https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...beth_Pe%C3%B1a were taken out.
Yeah, you really should start reloading, given how much you're using you could drop your cost drastically. I hope you're keeping all your brass in case you decide to.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:16 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Nah, just pointing out how stupid he is.
Whatever floats your boat 👌

Old 03-27-2018, 08:26 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,726,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Its shares 98% parts compatibility with an M4. The only difference between the 2 rifles is the selector switch. Its inventor even said he intended it for the military. Makes sense, why would you need access to 30 rounds of 5.56mm in any civilian scenario?
The average maximum speed limit on a US highway is 55mph. Why does anyone need a vehicle that goes faster than that in any civilian scenario. Only professional race car drivers need access to faster cars. Get it?

Old 03-27-2018, 08:29 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The average maximum speed limit on a US highway is 55mph. Why does anyone need a vehicle that goes faster than that in any civilian scenario. Only professional race car drivers need access to faster cars. Get it?
LOL. Love the creative scenarios of guns vs cars. Stretching it but hey it makes sense to the base.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Explain to me why you think it is that everyone needs a gun? Again, I've never needed one....

Because a cop is too heavy.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:34 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,569,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Why does anyone need a big house, expensive jewelry, or most any item over basic human needs? The RIGHT to own a firearm includes the common use AR-15. The L.A. riots are a perfect example of the need for a thirty round magazine. What would you use in the future if the government tried to further abuse you, and became tyrannical. My 74 year old M1 Carbine excepts thirty round magazines. Should that be banned too? I can reload my Russian SKS with stripper clips about as fast, and that has a fixed, non detachable magazine.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Why does anyone need a big house, expensive jewelry, or most any item over basic human needs? The RIGHT to own a firearm includes the common use AR-15. The L.A. riots are a perfect example of the need for a thirty round magazine. What would you use in the future if the government tried to further abuse you, and became tyrannical. My 74 year old M1 Carbine excepts thirty round magazines. Should that be banned too? I can reload my Russian SKS with stripper clips about as fast, and that has a fixed, non detachable magazine.

Most gun owners are not expert marksman and will need more ammo to fend off a home invasion or threat. They may not have time to gather enough full magazines even if they reach their weapon in time.

During the Vietnam War the "pencil pushers" in the Kennedy Administration didn't understand why the body counts for dead enemy soldiers did not correlate with the amount of ammunition that was being used by the US soldiers armed with their M16s.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:48 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That being uniform code perhaps. I went to a gun store in 2013 and I have seen how easy it is to buy a handgun in AZ. There it is as easy as buying the oaktag for that sign in that rally from Saturday. Why it is that easy and there isn't any hold or fingerprinting I will never know but sadly unless federal funding is tied to passing a uniform code law, this won't change in "The Old West" states like Arizona.
As others have said, you filled out a 4473 and it was called into the NICS system. What would a hold or fingerprint do?

Old 03-27-2018, 08:50 AM

46,263 posts, read 27,085,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Whatever floats your boat 👌

I guess....but I would not work with him even if he was an adult....he's being called a kid, but his mouth could use a good tune up...anyone that talks about his F'n parents like that...needs something else done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies