Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 05:28 PM

19,770 posts, read 10,217,057 times

Advertisements

My 13 year old grandson walks 1 1/2 miles to the Y and back and works out for a couple hours. He won't accept a ride. No one ever bothers him. (5' 6" tall, 180 lbs)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 05:30 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,820,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Oh my! We needed government to control this?
It was safe for we kids to be playing on the block (until dusk) from the time we were school age. Of course that's also when the nuclear family was still intact. There were always other parents around so it was quite safe. Now... not so much. The parent(s) are at work leaving the children with a wide gap of free time to burn after school.

Isn't government partly to blame for the lack of parenting in the first place? Now we need laws telling parents to actually be parents?

Old 03-26-2018, 11:28 PM

1,704 posts, read 753,431 times
I'd be more worried about leaving my wife at home alone than my kids!

Sometimes ya gotta watch those " free-rangers"...

Old 03-26-2018, 11:38 PM

11,125 posts, read 5,631,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
A free range parenting law?

Isn't 'free range' how many of us grew up as kids?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/utah-just...113313748.html

I started roaming the open range, when I was three. I operated on the principle that if my parents didn't know I was doing something or going somewhere, then they couldn't raise any objections. The key, was to avoid trouble and generate no complaints about my behavior.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:44 PM

14,895 posts, read 8,226,003 times
Lol, evidently my parents practiced this, while raising me...and I practiced this raising my son, and didn't even know it was all that unusual. Really, the best way to grow up.

Back in those days, it was pretty much how everyone was raised.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:50 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,620,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I did not post that children are typically neglected in Alaska. You are telling a lie there.

I posted that if you want "free range" move to Alaska. Supervision is hit or miss. Some do. Some don't.

I'm not condemning the state or running down one social worker. It's just the way it is.

"Children don't have to attend public school if their parent or legal guardian has decided to educate them, according to state law. Legislators added that provision in 1997."

"No government agency keeps track of who they are or what they have learned. They don't have to register with their local school district — or any school district."

https://www.adn.com/education/articl...ws/2016/05/09/

Alaska has laws about failure to provide care or deserting a child under 16. However, there are no laws about leaving kids unattended in a vehicle or any law about what age they can be left home alone.

Laws | Free Range Kids
If that was not your intent, I am sorry. It did seem to be implied by your comments, however, at least to me.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:37 AM

11,125 posts, read 5,631,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Yeah but we had street smarts back then too many spend so much time playing video games and time on their phones.
The kids today are like hatchery-raised chicks, that know nothing about the foxes and coyotes that will eat them, when they're put outside, on their own.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:41 AM

34,348 posts, read 18,729,383 times
They have to pass laws to allow people to not be constant HELICOPTER parents? Kids need time to learn things on their own, be kids, and work things out without parental involvement, nor instruction.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:45 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,967,318 times
Good on Utah. Sad that it has come to this however.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:35 AM

51,706 posts, read 25,999,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
If that was not your intent, I am sorry. It did seem to be implied by your comments, however, at least to me.
Didn't mean to imply that Alaska encourages child neglect. Meant exactly what I stated.

In Alaska, the choice on how to supervise and educate your children is left up to parents.

There are laws about abuse and neglect, but as long as the kids are not in danger, you are free to raise your kids any way you want.

You can let your kids walk to school, or take a snow machine, or you don't even have to send them to school at all. Your choice.

No one is checking up on you unless there are reports that the kids are abused or neglected, and those doing welfare checks have wide latitude to determine what constitutes abuse or neglect.

In the case of our neighbor, it was determined that the children had food in the house, the house had heat, and they could get help from neighbors if needed. Even though the oldest was still shy of her ninth birthday, they were in no danger.

Alaska laws support "free range" parenting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies