Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 12:00 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,761,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

I am free range all the way, but I can see why people might be hesitant on that score. It's a less friendly and social world.
I don't think the problem is with parents who do not take a "free range" approach to their own parenting. The problem is with parents who think it should be illegal for other parents to take a free range approach. And they are out there, passing laws restricting how their neighbors are allowed to raise their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 12:05 PM

13,985 posts, read 5,647,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I don't think the problem is with parents who do not take a "free range" approach to their own parenting. The problem is with parents who think it should be illegal for other parents to take a free range approach. And they are out there, passing laws restricting how their neighbors are allowed to raise their children.
Understood. And I am happy that Utah decided to finally do something to put busybody jacktards out of the meddling business. No doubt.

Just pointing out that if some people view today less favorably than yesteryear, it kinda makes sense. Still doesn't give busybodies the right to wreck other people's lives for not parenting according to their whacko helicopter standards, but it seems like only small towns still have any semblance of social bond.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:25 PM

19,688 posts, read 12,265,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Kids roam all over our neighborhood.

I emailed two friends who live outside of Salt Lake. Both said same thing there.

What is this all about exactly?

The article referred to a couple instances in other states where parents were charged and the charges were dropped. Didn't seem to be a problem in Utah.
It sounds like it is designed to encourage giving kids some freedom, and normalize it so parents know it's a good thing to let their kids run around and play outside. The mindset can seep in that you are a bad parent if you aren't watching them 24/7 and of course that is not true.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:09 PM

10,245 posts, read 6,337,511 times
I was a mother myself when Etan Patz was abducted. However, a generation before that I was more or less a free range child on the streets of NYC. Played outside in the streets, walked to and from school, walked from the Village to Central Park, rode the subways, etc.

The only problem I ever had was actually from an NYPD Squad Car following me home in my "sexy" Catholic School Girl Uniform at 11 years old taunting me with, "Hey, Baby, want a ride home?" "Kiss, Kiss". Ironic, huh?

I ignored them and walked as fast as I could home. My Dad was a Longshoreman and got home early from work. As soon as I got home, I told him what happened. He ran out the door cursing looking for them. I am sure if he had found them he would have shot them had he had a gun.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:45 PM

51,656 posts, read 25,878,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
As with bathroom bills, I think this is yet another Republican attempt to fix (interest on) a problem that does not exist.
I think you are on to something here.

As far as I can tell, there has not been a single problem in Utah in this regard, at least none that show up on an internet search.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It sounds like it is designed to encourage giving kids some freedom, and normalize it so parents know it's a good thing to let their kids run around and play outside. The mindset can seep in that you are a bad parent if you aren't watching them 24/7 and of course that is not true.
Do people really need a law to encourage them to let their kids play outside?

Do we need laws about "mindsets?"

Old 03-27-2018, 05:00 PM

This law is not going to change the "mindset" of the parents who keep a close on their kids. The parents who call before their kids come over to spend the night. The parents who set and enforce curfews. ... These parents are unlikely to switch supervision strategies because the law says they can.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:05 PM

For all this talk about helicopter parenting, I haven't seen many signs of this.

In fact, several of our neighbors are raising their grandchildren because otherwise the kids would be in foster care. Not much helicopter parenting happening there.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:00 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,243,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
For all this talk about helicopter parenting, I haven't seen many signs of this.

In fact, several of our neighbors are raising their grandchildren because otherwise the kids would be in foster care. Not much helicopter parenting happening there.
I sure have. My neighbor is a prime example: she doesn’t allow her 12-year-old to cross our street (it’s a narrow, dead end street) or even stay home alone for any length of time. Fine; her kid, her rules. But she likes to keep tabs on other people’s kids, too. One day I let my 10-year-old put herself on the bus (normally she goes to before care because the bus comes 1 hour after I leave for work, but next year she won’t have before care, so I want her to have an occasional trial run). I texted her every so often, and when it was time to go, she walked the 300 feet to the bus stop without incident. Said neighbor approached my daughter that afternoon and said that she was very concerned about her being left alone. I was furious. Firstly, it’s none of her concern if I used my judgement regarding my child’s readiness for a new responsibility. Secondly, if she was so concerned, she should approach ME, not my child, putting the idea in her head that she is not being properly cared for.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:32 PM

We have a busybody neighbor as well. They are a pain in the butt, no doubt about it.

We just roll our eyes and go on.

Your situation, you may want to have a conversation with her about minding her own business.

If she turned you into social services, that's another matter.

However, if you lived in Utah, you can now tell her that you were raising a ""free range" child and to butt out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies