Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2018, 02:22 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
One encourages exploitation the other one just shifts labor from manual to intellectual (someone has to build the machines and maintain them and its not cheap), you would not beleive the belly aching, adult temper tantrums etc when a manager or owner finds out the real costs of automation. Smug arrogant owners and managers like to threaten automation but when the bill comes they dont like it. But exploiting cheap labor has very little down side for the owner. Now if you can exploit cheap labor and use the surplus value to automate then thats the golden ticket for owners, get free production until you can afford to pay for the automation (at least the automation you cant steal for cheap in court).

Because so much surplus value has been allowed to be banked I think it is too late, mega corps have the money to automate even if china is shut down and can still lay off americans. The only exception would be if the people who make the automation tools have different prices for different clients.

And no China is still VERY far from the USA in terms of pay vs COL
China has a much lower cost of living, purchasing power, and average income. Almost identical to Malaysia's values by the way, but nobody complains about Malaysia.

China is an emerging economy, it still has a lot of poverty. Like in all such countries people are not really unhappy with what seems like exploitation to rich countries because it is already a huge improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 02:28 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
And that IS what is happening. I give you credit for recognizing that.
I just want more public land man, I dont think people are entitled to your land rover or your mcmansion and I dont think we should be paying for peoples dead beatery.

I see to many people get on their private property high horse and its dangerous. There was a case in my area where a rafting party lost air in their white water raft and were forced ashore, well the shore was private property, the crew was in a bad stuation and had expensive rafts they had to deal with (they were fixable). Well the property owner drew a knife and let out some kind of scream and came at the rafters (most of them kids) because they were unable to just immediately leave (this was a heavily wooded area in which it was going to be logistically difficult to get the rafts out and your private property rights dont mean you get a free boat becuase someone has an emergency and runs aground on your dry sand. The adults were able to subdue the guy because there were a couple of large guys.

The police sorted it out but someone could have died from this nut jobs feeling of self importance because it was "his" property. I now carry a chest holstered gun in my plane in case i have to go down on private property and someone decides that they are going to come at me, I will just kill them, no one comes at me with a weapon because I just crashed a plane.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:31 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
I just want more public land man, I dont think people are entitled to your land rover or your mcmansion and I dont think we should be paying for peoples dead beatery.

I see to many people get on their private property high horse and its dangerous.
No, it is not. Public lands are public lands, and there is a lot of it throughout the entire country including MANY public beaches. Privately owned property is private property, protected by the 5th Amendment's Takings Clause.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
But you are, your removing the financial consequences to go out and have a trist. The women are, for the most part, the choosers in the sexual relm and they should be shouldering the burden of any unplanned kids. She chose to have sex with one guy over another and if our society rewards her for having sex with a dead beat then we will get more dead beats.
Whatever the response, the child shouldn't suffer from the consequences of their parents' decisions.
One idea might be to tie most financial support directly to the kid, like a savings account only the kid has access to, for instance a tuition account, from which money can only be transferred to institutions of education, no cash withdrawals etc.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
No, it is not. Public lands are public lands, and there is a lot of it throughout the entire country including MANY public beaches. Privately owned property is private property, protected by the 5th Amendment's Takings Clause.
So if a vessel declairs an emergency and beaches on your land you get a free boat?

Old 05-10-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
They're not treated the same. Those who commit crimes are prosecuted and if found guilty, go to jail. Those who make bad decisions (either by commission or omission) live in poverty. Two VERY different outcomes. Each reaps what they sow.

I agree. So why do Democrats INSIST on keeping them trapped? Why not support school vouchers in which the per student funding (which is frequently the highest in those inner-city, Black majority school districts) follows the student to a school which will actually meet their educational needs? The system we have now holds kids hostage. Public schools get a guaranteed flow of taxpayer funding no matter how horribly ineffective they are. Teachers get paid no matter how horribly ineffective they are. Why? 2 reasons. Guaranteed job security, and guaranteed political donations to Democrat politicians. According to Open Secrets, 94% of teacher unions' political donations go to Democrats.

Quite possible. But do you truly believe Blacks are really that much less intelligent than everyone else, as shown in the NAEP results?
The kid doesn't reap what he or she sows. I sure wouldn't want to be held responsible and pay for my parents' poor decisions.

I don't know much about the details of the US school system. I assume most teachers are simply Democrats. Also, unions are typical of the progressive/leftist/Democratic side, while conservatives tend to hate unions. There is no secret about that.

No, of course not, I think IQ only accounts for, say, 5 to 10% of the gaps. What do blacks and Hispanics have in common that makes them achieve similar results?

Old 05-10-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Whatever the response, the child shouldn't suffer from the consequences of their parents' decisions.
One idea might be to tie most financial support directly to the kid, like a savings account only the kid has access to, for instance a tuition account, from which money can only be transferred to institutions of education, no cash withdrawals etc.
But how do you ensure the woman is financially punished for deciding to sleep with a dead beat? We need to socially engineer our society to make it unattractive for women to sleep with dead beats, otherwise nothing changes.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
But how do you ensure the woman is financially punished for deciding to sleep with a dead beat? We need to socially engineer our society to make it unattractive for women to sleep with dead beats, otherwise nothing changes.
Gee, I don't want to punish anyone for their sexual behavior. While I don't agree with such behavior, it is not up to me to judge. At least they don't charge for it like prostitutes

Old 05-10-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Gee, I don't want to punish anyone for their sexual behavior. While I don't agree with such behavior, it is not up to me to judge. At least they don't charge for it like prostitutes
So then you get more kids poping out from dead beats, if there is no financial consequence for the woman she will keep doing it until the system is no longer self supporting. sure a small hand full of babies from a dead beat trist can be absorbed but if there are no systems in place to compel behavior modification it will get out of hand.

Its like saying that we just let people keep stealing because they need it and insurance companies can pick up the tab, that works for a while until insurance rates sky rocket and everyone goes bankrupt and leaves because they cant get rid of the thieves.

Yes we very much should be punishing people for their sexual behaivors.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:49 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
That's the point behind court-ordered child support, but what happens when the parents are deadbeats? How is it anyone else's responsibility to pick up the tab?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies