Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 06:33 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I can honestly say I never have, either. And I find it very telling when posters ask these kinds of questions in a kind of "wink, wink, nod, nod, we all do it, right?" kind of way. Actually, no, we don't all do it.

But one thing we can deduce is that anyone making a statement like that probably has.
Exactly. I don't ever recall a time where I thought those types of "jokes" were funny or even appropriate to say. And I'm going back to being a kid and teen here. It was never okay to me.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:35 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
It's hilarious how lefties can go all Ayn Rand in an instant when companies do things they like.
Then the opposite follows: funny how righties can go all John Steinbeck in an instant when companies do things they don't like.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:09 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
I have read consideration is being given to a Spinoff. "Darlene" would become the main character. They could "kill off" Roseanne. It has been done before when the star of the series wanted to quit, or did actually die.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:45 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Darlene? I don't know about that. That character isn't all that appealing.

Jackie and her mother might work. Jackie trying to help Dan with the family might work.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:59 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Darlene? I don't know about that. That character isn't all that appealing.

Jackie and her mother might work. Jackie trying to help Dan with the family might work.
Full disclosure: was never a fan of the original show & so didn't get the hubbub about a 'reboot'. I never even watched one full episode. Also, didn't they win the lottery at the end, or something like that?

Forgive me for asking but what is/was so appealing about this family anyway?

Why not create a new family sit-com based on a new made-up family?

Old 06-02-2018, 10:06 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I've kind of known Rosanne was the white trash character she portrays. it never really bother me until all of this. I mean she is now psycho. She can't decide is she wants to apologize or fight back. When the guy who played her son spoke out about her horrible tweet she attacks him, then comes back to show love.

WTF woman, get it straight. You are not a good person. Good people do not call AAs apes. And good people do not defend that tweet on message boards.
She's been this way for several years. She spreads crazy propaganda about pizza gate and has tweeted racist and Islamophobic stuff before.

I refused to watch the reboot because of who she is in real life. I enjoyed the original show for the first few years and thought she offered a fresh perspective. But someone with a platform furthering crazy propaganda is over the line.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:04 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Full disclosure: was never a fan of the original show & so didn't get the hubbub about a 'reboot'. I never even watched one full episode. Also, didn't they win the lottery at the end, or something like that?

I had a hard time watching the show as a kid. I could never figure out what was appealing about the family as a whole. I get the idea of being a hardworking, working class family. However, I don't get the crass side of the show.

Another thing that I don't get is this. Roseanne seems to enjoy being crass and obnoxious for the fun of it.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:11 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post

The original run dealt with real working class family issues like no other show has done. Even this reboot did that. They dealt with problems like the inaccessibility and/or affordability of healthcare. The Conners had insurance but could not afford to pay the deductible, so they went without needed surgeries and were sharing medications to save money on prescriptions. How many shows talk about real issues like that?

The show did not sugarcoat how difficult life is for middle and low income Americans who have been, and continue to be, left behind, which is why so many people identified with it.

It's too bad that Roseanne's big, bigoted mouth took the show down.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:14 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The original run dealt with real working class family issues like no other show has done. Even this reboot did that. They dealt with problems like the inaccessibility and/or affordability of healthcare. The Conners had insurance but could not afford to pay the deductible, so they went without needed surgeries and were sharing medications to save money on prescriptions. How many shows talk about real issues like that?

The show did not sugarcoat how difficult life is for middle and low income Americans who have been, and continue to be, left behind, which is why so many people identified with it.

It's too bad that Roseanne's big, bigoted mouth took the show down.
I mean but The Middle also portrayed working class families. I used to love that show until I fell out of love with sitcoms altogether.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:20 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I mean but The Middle also portrayed working class families. I used to love that show until I fell out of love with sitcoms altogether.
I never saw that show, so perhaps they dealt with these kinds of things as well? I just know that when I saw the first episode of the reboot, with Dan and Roseanne laying out all of their prescriptions on the kitchen table, deciding which ones they could ration between them to get through the month because they couldn't afford to fill every one they really needed, it blew my mind. I wonder how many families are doing that with their drugs because they can't afford them. It was really sobering. That's the kind of thing that made Roseanne different from most sitcoms I've ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies