Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 05:34 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times

Advertisements

The trust fund for Social Security will go broke in 2041 — a year earlier than previously estimated — the trustees reported Wednesday. Trustees also said that Medicare, the giant health care program for the elderly and disabled, faces insolvency in 2020

New date for Social Security to go bust: 2041 - Politics - MSNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 05:37 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
How "new" can a report from 2005 be?

Old 03-25-2008, 05:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
How "new" can a report from 2005 be?
They "Up'd" the time by a year - a year sooner than the 2005 projections.

This one was just released.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:54 PM

No, I've seen the 2008 report. The difference is a technical (actually political) one. The Social Security retirement trust fund (which also funds survivors benefits) is projected to be exhausted in 2042. But by combining it with the separate disability trust fund, which itself is projected to be exhausted in 2025, you can make the combined number for the two funds move back to 2041. That's actually the same combined date as last year. In 2006, the combined date was 2040...

Last edited by saganista; 03-25-2008 at 06:04 PM..

Old 03-25-2008, 05:58 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The trust fund for Social Security will go broke in 2041 — a year earlier than previously estimated — the trustees reported Wednesday. Trustees also said that Medicare, the giant health care program for the elderly and disabled, faces insolvency in 2020

all that i can say is give me my dammed money!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:45 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,015,743 times
I read a full article about this and it said that the problem is the Social Security funds are FUNDING OTHER THINGS! So why on Earth won't they STOP raiding Social Security to pay for God-knows-what?!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:52 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,116,027 times
I wrote to my congressman in 2005 about this when the first "study" results were released. I let him know my concerns being that I am not eligible to begin to collect Social Security until after 2042. His office sent me a link to a presentation he made to local constituants; the presentation assured me that I would still receive a maximum of 70% of my eligible benefits...

So after paying into this abyss my entire life I'll see a minimum reduction of 30%.

I'd rather take all that money and buy GOLD with it...

Old 03-25-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I read a full article about this and it said that the problem is the Social Security funds are FUNDING OTHER THINGS! So why on Earth won't they STOP raiding Social Security to pay for God-knows-what?!
Propaganda. SS is normally a pay-as-you-go program. Today's payroll taxes received from active workers pay for today's benefits paid to retired workers. But that won't take us through the baby boomer years, so since 1983, everyone working in a covered position has been paying in more than what is needed to cover current benefits. That excess is being deposited in the SS Trust Fund, and the corpus of that fund is invested in US Treasury securities, the safest investment vehicle in the history of the world. President Bush himself has a very significant portion of his personal fortune invested in such securities.

Whenever the Treasury sells such a security, even if it's just a $50 US Savings Bond, the cash proceeds are deposited into the Treasury General Fund. When Congress appropriates funds to the FBI or DOD or the National Park Service or to any other agency, money is transferred from the General Fund to the operating accounts of the agency involved. If all of the General Fund money is already gone, Treasury borrows what it needs instead by selling even more securities. The fact that say $200 billion was in the General Fund as the result of SS having invested in Treasury securities means that Treasury has $200 billion more that it can appropriate directly, and that it will therefore need to borrow $200 billion less from the private sector during that year.

It is worth noting that this is exactly what corporations do with the proceeds of their own bond sales. They use those proceeds for something else -- new equipment or a plant expansion. You do the same. If you take out a car loan, you do not put the money into an account from which to pay back the loan. You use the money for something else -- buying a car. There is no difference -- except to propagandists -- in the government's use of the cash proceeds from its sale of Treasury securities to the Social Security Trust Fund...

Old 03-25-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I wrote to my congressman in 2005 about this when the first "study" results were released.
The first "study" results were released in 1941.

Quote:
I let him know my concerns being that I am not eligible to begin to collect Social Security until after 2042. His office sent me a link to a presentation he made to local constituants; the presentation assured me that I would still receive a maximum of 70% of my eligible benefits...
No, assuming that nothing at all is done and the projected numbers become the actual numbers, you would receive a minimum of 78% of scheduled benefits in 2042, slowly declining to about 75% by 2082. Because of the way scheduled benefits are calculated, 78% of benefits payable in 2042 would be worth considerably more than what 100% of benefits are worth today.

Quote:
So after paying into this abyss my entire life I'll see a minimum reduction of 30%. I'd rather take all that money and buy GOLD with it...
That would be extremely silly.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:38 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,112,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

Actually this years SS Trustees report shows the actuarial balance is in better shape than at any time since 1993. (2008 Trustees Report: Appendix B, Historical actuarial balance estimates)

Why is that? We're finally getting a more accurate portrayal of the huge net benefit seen on our system from illegal immigrants (termed 'other immigrants' by the trustees). 2008 Trustees Report: Section IV.B, Long-range estimates

As illegal immigrants tend to be younger, have more children, and often fail to collect the benefits they paid into, they are a huge benefit to the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies