Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 12:06 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
What a waste.
I would not say that. I would consider they helped save the lives of some Vietnamese refugees.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 12:11 PM

34,236 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I would not say that. I would consider they helped save the lives of some Vietnamese refugees.........
I hope so, but we should have been out of there YEARS prior, and not the way they let it happen. Thanks for your service. One tour is still A LOT of time in country. I was way too young to serve in Nam, yet I have some friends that were there, and that saw combat. Their stories range from the absolutely bizarre, to extremely chilling, and everywhere in between. One guy was MACV SOG. Oh brother.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:20 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Give me a break. NO war is just. Stop making excuses for that blowhard, pampered, tough-talking chicken sh*t.

He "should have gotten out," but the rest of those who couldn't and the majority of our soldiers since then --primarily poor/lower middle class kids who have few other options in life than to join the military -- get blown apart in UNJUST wars, or come home from them permanently maimed and/or psychologically damaged.

Why do you think there's a a huge, permanent underclass in this country? Because who will fight out wars if there isn't? Clearly not softboys like Trump. But this deliberate socioeconomic design cool with you? Do you think it's "just"?
No one forces people who can't afford to have children, to have children.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:44 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,845,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Heres a thought. Would you stand at the grave of any of the 58000 who died and tell them with the assumption their spirits could hear you:
"If youd have used a deferment instead I would now call you a scumbag"???
At what point in the war would we label inductees who showed up, morons? Not patriots? Late '71? Mid '72? When Congress was determined to block nixon and his efforts?
I say this as a veteran who signed up in 79 when war with Iran seemed imminent.
Vietnam is a very confused war morally. I can only imagine what a hell it would be to go there. After 1968 I am not sure I would have went though.
You miss the point. WHY was someone like Trump able to defer, but those 58,000 soldiers killed weren't? Why is that ok? Why does Trump have the gall to portray himself as a tough patriot-warrior when the reality is he his out in his safe space when his country needed him? And don't talk about Vietnam having been "confused" or "unjust" or "hell," because all wars are.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
No one forces people who can't afford to have children, to have children.
Oh, for crying out loud. Now the bootstrappers are out.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:47 PM

34,236 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
You miss the point. WHY was someone like Trump able to defer, but those 58,000 soldiers killed weren't? Why is that ok? Why does Trump have the gall to portray himself as a tough patriot-warrior when the reality is he his out in his safe space when his country needed him? And don't talk about Vietnam having been "confused" or "unjust" or "hell," because all wars are.
No, it is not OK, but the wealthy of both parties have always had advantages the rest of us don't. How many illegal acts the Kennedy's did were swept under the rug because they were rich, and influential. Ask Marilyn Monroe how she feels about that. Oh, you can't she's dead.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Why did al qaeda attack us on 911? What were the grievances clearly stated in their 1998 fatwa?
Why would George w Bush "manufacture" a war and even if he did why would 75% of congress support it?
Finally can you paint a picture of Saddams expected actions had we pulled out of the Persian Gulf in 2003?
So, did you enlist to fight Saddam's army if you think it was a legitimate war?

Btw, none of the 9/11 terrorists were Iraqi. Many, if not most, were Saudi, so why do you think we didn't invade Saudi Arabia?

Old 04-01-2018, 12:53 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I only did one tour.........I just find it ironic that a topic such as A dog biting someone gets more attention here..........
But...it didn't.

It was a Veteran's Day 2017 story.

Look up the postings for that day and see for yourself. Veteran's Day was not ignored here.

You're the one who is calling out this group of posters for something we are not collectively guilty of. It's not our fault you saw a Veteran's Day story and didn't notice that Veteran's Day is in November and not March.

Now if you want to take on the unofficial responsibility of posting something here about veterans every single day, in order to see how many people respond, you can surely do that - not a single person would stop you.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:59 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
Oh, for crying out loud. Now the bootstrappers are out.
And someone from the downplaying personal responsibility crowd is replying ^^^^^.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No, it is not OK, but the wealthy of both parties have always had advantages the rest of us don't. How many illegal acts the Kennedy's did were swept under the rug because they were rich, and influential. Ask Marilyn Monroe how she feels about that. Oh, you can't she's dead.
Why are you bringing up the Kennedys? That family might be a fixation for YOUR generation, but not for mine, and certainly not for the Millennials/Gen Z.

I'm left-leaning, and I have no doubt that there are just as many dishonest, unethical, corrupt members of the liberal elite as there conservative members. Trump's a perfect example (yes, he's a liberal. Masquerading as a conservative). I have never doubted that, and I have no qualms admitting that.

You guys are the ones who make all the excuses in the world for YOUR hooligans; we don't make excuses for ours. Because the REAL problems in this country don't fall along left vs right lines, or black vs white, or even rural vs urban, per se. They fall along lines of socioeconomic class. Always have, and, considering the gap between rich and poor is becoming a gulf, I suspect they always will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies