Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 06:51 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
When I was in school, stuff was sent home with me for my parents all the time. I agree it's not the best way, particularly if the item in question is something the child may not want the parent to see, which is a whole other topic. Nevertheless, that's the way it was.

I do kind of wonder why they didn't use email, though. Cheaper, for one thing.
Because they wanted the kids to read it. Think about it.

1. Type one email. Pull up list. Press send. Auto delivery directly to parents.

2. Type up doc. Print copies. Count out copies for each classroom. Give to teachers. Teachers give to students. Students may/may not bring home/give to parents.

Which makes more sense if you trying to target PARENTS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 06:55 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Because they wanted the kids to read it. Think about it.

1. Type one email. Pull up list. Press send. Auto delivery directly to parents.

2. Type up doc. Print copies. Count out copies for each classroom. Give to teachers. Teachers give to students. Students may/may not bring home/give to parents.

Which makes more sense if you trying to target PARENTS?
Not every parent has e-mail. They just don't.

My sister is 62 and just got her first e-mail address this year.

Also-- having been involved extensively with PTA's, school boards, etc.....parents can receive information via 3 outlets and still say they never got it. You confirm their address, you confirm it went home in their kids backpack and you confirmed you mailed a copy -- oops-- didn't see that e-mail, oh I just found the flyer sent home in a pile -- the to do pile -- and uh oh -- I just found the unopened mail,.

The fact this kid apparently read the document (on the way home on the bus -- really at 8)...and the mother saw it....I'd say this is a win for the PTA. She claims she just happened not to see any of the other documents.

At some point you have to dismiss this whole incident as not NEWS worthy. Has nothing to do with the curriculum in the classroom.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:24 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

Also-- having been involved extensively with PTA's, school boards, etc.....parents can receive information via 3 outlets and still say they never got it. You confirm their address, you confirm it went home in their kids backpack and you confirmed you mailed a copy -- oops-- didn't see that e-mail, oh I just found the flyer sent home in a pile -- the to do pile -- and uh oh -- I just found the unopened mail,.

The fact this kid apparently read the document (on the way home on the bus -- really at 8)...and the mother saw it....I'd say this is a win for the PTA. She claims she just happened not to see any of the other documents.

At some point you have to dismiss this whole incident as not NEWS worthy. Has nothing to do with the curriculum in the classroom.
But the PTA is introducing its own curriculum into the classrooms if the kids are being given this stuff in the classroom to take home. It doesn't matter who introduces it, if it is in the classroom it is part of the school's curriculum by default. If the PTA was doing something the school disagreed with they wouldn't give the PTA access to the kids this way. Of course the school endorses it.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:58 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,363 times
CityData uses bots, and you don't know if the original poster or a responder is a human or a bot. Every social media site has bots now. I tend to steer from threads which seem to go too far in their incendiary rhetoric. If you ask yourself " How could someone say that?" , maybe it's not a someone, but a something.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
CityData uses bots, and you don't know if the original poster or a responder is a human or a bot. Every social media site has bots now. I tend to steer from threads which seem to go too far in their incendiary rhetoric. If you ask yourself " How could someone say that?" , maybe it's not a someone, but a something.
Yep. And others who definitely have certain ideologies that they support and are somehow online 24/7 responding to a gazillion posts.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

Today, it's online, email and text. Very little goes home as handouts.

Which is why this incident is suspicious.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:08 PM

5,994 posts, read 3,733,906 times
Conservative snowflakes are angry again. You guys need a safe space?

Old 04-09-2018, 04:40 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Conservative snowflakes are angry again. You guys need a safe space?
Ah trying to turn the tables. Sorry but the liberal snowflakes own the safe spaces, trigger warnings and the coloring books.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:48 PM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
Interesting point, but there's been no incendiary rhetoric in this thread. Either you think it's OK to plant racist ideas in a child's head or you don't.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:54 PM

5,994 posts, read 3,733,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Ah trying to turn the tables. Sorry but the liberal snowflakes own the safe spaces, trigger warnings and the coloring books.
I don't have to "try" anything. The tables have already turned.

https://thetylt.com/politics/who-are...es-or-liberals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies