Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 09:56 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
NO, opioids are not damaging, the effort to 'demonize' opioids comes straight from the DEA, they are the reason doctors are too frightened to give scripts for opioids, they fear being raided and having their medical license yanked away.

medicine derived from opium has been used for 1000s of years, wars have been fought over opium...they are effective and do their job. The DEA is not concerned with anyones health or safety, they have their own reason for targeting opioids, has more to do with growing the police state, seizures, and aiding and abetting the drug cartels.
Of course they are damaging, where did you get the idea that they aren't? Opioids were never meant to be taken for long term chronic pain. For one thing everyone who takes them on a regular basis develops a tolerance and needs to increase the dosage, their is strong evidence that they make people hypersensitive to pain.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ptions-plummet

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ake-pain-worse

Differential Opioid Tolerance and Opioid-induced Hyperalgesia:A Clinical Reality | Anesthesiology | ASA Publications
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 10:24 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I'm much younger than you and my level was 330 when I was first tested. I am thin and fit and I exercise. I think it's just heredity. A statin keeps it under 200 for me. But not everyone needs to take it if they don't need it.
They are very useful for patients who need them but I can't even believe that doctors prescribe them to all of their patients. I'm pretty sure it's genetic because I don't eat that healthy of a diet and my HDL is 93 and total cholesterol 195

Old 07-11-2018, 10:28 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
They are very useful for patients who need them but I can't even believe that doctors prescribe them to all of their patients. I'm pretty sure it's genetic because I don't eat that healthy of a diet and my HDL is 93 and total cholesterol 195
It is genetic for some. But no one should be put on a medication for preventative care.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:45 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,257,106 times
Do you suffer from small, itchy fibers emerging from your skin? You might suffer from Morgellon's disease.

Doctors recommend Morgella to treat the harshest symptoms of Morgellon's disease.

Side effects may include loss of money.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:01 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,142,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Do you suffer from small, itchy fibers emerging from your skin? You might suffer from Morgellon's disease.

Doctors recommend Morgella to treat the harshest symptoms of Morgellon's disease.

Side effects may include loss of money.
Talk your designated Doctor Daddy (who cant actually cure anything..but to whom, for some reason we're telling you to defer to anyway, because we are complicit in the medical industry's false marketing of doctors and medical researchers as some all knowing, possessors of deep, intrisic knowledge that can fix your problem and cure your disease) about being allowed to take Morgella.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:42 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
All I ever see you do is stalk and attack her. And there is precious little value in that. It is way past time for you to give it a rest.
Disagreeing with her is neither stalking nor attacking when she makes statements that are factually wrong, then moves to thread after thread and repeats the same misinformation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah I get sick at all of those pharma ads and am amazed that people ask for these drugs which cause more problems than they solve. The drug companies at the very least greatly expanded the opioid crisis.

I'm not taking any drug but keeping my weight and diet in check which is the key to health.

I will say that in some cases, the pharma companies do deliver like in cancer and severe heart problems.
Which drugs "cause more problems than they solve"? Doctors will stop prescribing them if they do. Do you really think physicians want unhappy patients?

What about treating hypertension? Diabetes? Asthma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
And then we have the routine tests that all drs and medicare want you to have. They hide it under preventive measures but are really looking for more drugs to push. More chronic diseases that dont really exist. We have had this debate about statins on this forum. Thats a biggy. But there are other too. Even type 2 diabetes. They want to hand out drugs even before they mention food and exercise.
Modern medicine is dangerous. And there are too much reliance on test results. If the test says neg or normal, the patient cant be ill. It must be all in their head.
Doctors do not get paid to write prescriptions. They get paid the same for an office visit whether they give you one or not.

As far as the lipid experts are concerned there is no debate about the effectiveness of statins. If you do not want to take one, fine. Type 2 diabetes? The very first point in the treatment algorithm is lifestyle changes. They do not "hand out drugs even before they mention food and exercise." The concept of pre-diabetes helps identify people who are headed for a diagnosis of full blown diabetes when those lifestyle changes have a better chance of heading it off. If that is not sufficient, then medication is discussed.

If a test is "neg or normal" it does not mean a patient is not sick. It just rules out a cause of the sickness. If you have bad headaches and a scan of your brain is normal, you can stop worrying about a tumor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Every test is looking for a result that indicates a drug prescription. They are searching for reasons to prescribe drugs. Because that is "medicine" today. That is considered "helpful."

You can think it's a good thing, or you can think it's a bad thing. But that is EXACTLY why they are giving the tests. To identify what drugs they can offer you. Even if you walk in in with nothing wrong. We need a baseline test. Why? All guidelines are specific as to when drugs can be offered. A baseline test is irrelevant. What matters to medical industry is the numbers. So why do they do a baseline? To see if you can be offered drugs.
No, every test is not looking for an excuse to start a medication. Your doctor is very happy if everything comes back normal. Do you even know what a "baseline" is? It defines what is normal for you. Take the TSH for thyroid disease, for example. Gradual changes over serial measurements can be a clue that something is going on.

You do not want to be tested? Fine, do not get tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Only after years of not figuring out what was wrong.
Newtovenice says too many tests are done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
OK, so now they don't suffer?

Are YOU for real?
Do you think they would suffer less without modern pain management options?

Are YOU for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And many suffer the same way today with all the COSTLY cancer drugs and surgeries and and and..I just lost a friend who went through a 9 hr surgery and mega cancer drugs and she's gone, the pharma much wealthier. She said as she was failing, maybe I should have gone with what the other doctor said, no surgery.... But she had hoped the surgery would be her saving grace.....she's in peace.
It sounds like your friend was advised of the options, risks, and benefits and made her choice. Should she not have done that because it was not the choice you would have made for yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Last night I was watching "Married at First Sight" on Lifetime (I know ), and almost every ad was encouragement to get one drug or another ("Ask your doctor . . .") - the one that was over-the-top called out "BabyBoomers" (big market) saying: "One out of 30 Babyboomers has Hep C but doesn't know it!"

The solution is for every BabyBoomer to "Ask your doctor for a bloodtest," as it's the only way to determine who has it!

Brilliant marketing! Totally appealing to fear . . .

I wonder what doctors think about all of these "Ask your doctor to prescribe this or that or order this or that test?" The silence is deafening.
Did you know that Hep C can now be cured? That it kills people? That carriers give it to other people?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20354278

Most doctors dislike direct to consumer advertising, by the way. However, advising people that there may be a treatment for a condition that bothers them but for which they would not seek care or even mention to a doctor because they did not know a treatment was available is doing them a service, is it not?

Old 07-12-2018, 01:12 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,482,440 times
Oh Oh, The Troll strikes again!

Old 07-12-2018, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
What gets me is that, unless you have a history, thyroid levels and hemoglobin (iron) are not part of a standard blood test. And if they do test thyroid, it is only tsh 3, should do tsh 4 too. Both of those can mimic dozens of other problems.
I went into the ER, they admitted me for possible heart attack, but tests were normal. Finally an old doctor tested my thyroid and found my level extremely low. Levothroxin and no more problems.
What tests are suggested depends in part on your age, and tests for anemia and thyroid function are indeed part of what most doctors would do for adult patients.

Quote:
I've got a 10 yr story on depression and was given and SOLD A/D drugs and was all due to sluggish thyroid. I could write my book on this mess...doctors, yes I saw probably 5 during that time and a psych doc and was given all those A/D drugs...it was thyroid.

I've done enough reading about the history of thyroid BEFORE the great LABS of modern medicine and the good old time docs supported their patients by symptoms...they were so much smarter than today's numbers game doctors.

The D.O. who finally helped me didn't even do a lab, just called in for the great long time thyroid medicine, Armour.
If your depression lifted in four days after starting the Armour, as you have stated before, it was not due to thyroid disease. Correcting abnormal thyroid function does not happen that quickly.

The "good old time docs" would have been ecstatic to have the tests available that we have now. They were also pretty adept at using placebos.

Quote:
I have not had a headache in over 20 yrs....read my miles of info on what I have been doing for my health and so much prevention. It's all in Alt Med....I work with a great food based antioxidant since 1995.

Sad, so many are so closed minded. Their loss is all I can say.
Those of us who disagree with you are not closed minded, you just have not presented us with any convincing evidence that your "great food based antioxidant" does what you believe it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
What ever happened to PRUNES?
The constipation caused by opiates does not respond well to the usual measures.

Quote:
For those of you that did not read the article in the OP, I suspect some may not have bothered, I will include an excerpt. This is no theory, these are facts. People are free to draw their own conclusions.
The authors are expressing an opinion. I take it they think testosterone deficiency, bipolar disorder and restless leg syndrome do not exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Years ago when all the hep B nonsense was coming out, my gynecologist was furious he had to waste time testing and then calling everyone. He said 90% of pts have it and it usually amounts to nothing. Women who have yearly pap smears have ZERO to worry about because the pap smear will provide more info than a hep B test. Its meaningless since so many people test positive. It cannot be used to indicate anything. I think the testing was used to scare women ... OMG I'm positive!!!! so then when they have kids they will vaccinate.

He was one doc that had a clue.

I had another doc tell me that when they were pushing the tetanus vaccine about 10 years ago that it also contained whooping cough. That little tidbit was never really publicized. Most people who got the tetanus shot had no clue it also contained a whooping cough vaccine. And that's when the outbreaks of whooping cough started ... but nothing to see here, just a coincidence.
I have no clue what you are talking about. Hep B? No, 90% of patients do not have it and for those who do it is not a trivial disease. Do you mean HPV?

Yes, the "tetanus shot" now contains vaccines for diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis. The pertussis component was added because it was discovered that immunity to pertussis wanes. The vaccine does not cause pertussis, as you are insinuating. It cannot, because there are no live pertussis organisms in it.

Quote:
Thyroid is so OVERLOOKED due to the numbers game the AMA plays.

As I said before the labs, doctors went by symptoms and there are some 66 symptoms due to low thyroid.
The AMA has nothing to do with how thyroid disease is diagnosed and managed. You can leave them out of your conspiracy theory.

Diagnosing thyroid disease based solely on symptoms is malpractice.

If your thyroid "numbers" are normal, your symptoms are due to something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Many years ago I used to work for Bristol-Myers, now Squibb, at their corporate headquarters in NYC. Park Avenue and 53rd St. for those non-believers. Competition Pfizer was just a few blocks away.

Please do not attempt to tell me how good and wonderful they are. You may be a "medical professional" but you are clueless on their Marketing, Advertising, Sales, Finance, etc., operations.

You are their Supplier, and by default, Salesperson. None of the above would be possible without YOU. Never heard the words "good of mankind" the entire time I was employed there. Sales goals, profits, 5 year plans, was all they talked about. Oh, yes, and what Government Grants were available. Damn, Pfizer got that grant over us!!!!!!! Have you ever had to sign a non-disclosure statement?

So when these Pharm Reps come out and "snitch" on them, do you really think I discount them? ROLF

Example? Shintrix. So the uptake rate for over 60 is only 30%. Not profitable enough. How can we increase sales? Get the FDA to lower the age to 50+. Not working to increase sales and profits? Expand the target population. It is coming with HPV vaccine. Rush petition to the FDA to expand the target population up to age 45. More potential for sales and profits. Rocket Science, or just Marketing 101?

Call me very jaded on their motives having worked for one.
What is Shintrix? If you mean Shingrix, it just came out this year. No one knows what the uptake will be yet. The age recommendation is based in the ages in which the vaccine was tested.

Do you have a link to "Rush petition to the FDA to expand the target population up to age 45."?

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
It is genetic for some. But no one should be put on a medication for preventative care.
You think treatment is better than prevention? Really?

Old 07-12-2018, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Oh Oh, The Troll strikes again!
Threatened by facts?

Old 07-12-2018, 07:43 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,482,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Threatened by facts?
You quoted and rebutted no less than 9 other posts. Seek Help.

Quote:
Internet troll
In Internet slang, a troll (/troʊl, trɒl/) is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses and normalizing tangential discussion, whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies