Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 01:17 PM

8,243 posts, read 3,499,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
70% of Americans under the age of 65 use one to four medications daily according to statistics. Over 65 and the percentage goes up to 90%. I wonder what the percentage of over 65's who take no medications is? Less than 1%?

That dental practice just confirms the statistics.
I'm in my 40s and I'm on 14 meds a day, many of them I need just to function at all because of all my health problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 01:22 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I'm in my 40s and I'm on 14 meds a day, many of them I need just to function at all because of all my health problems.
Now you've gone and done it....Duck & cover.

You are about to be put on blast for your "laziness & weakness" because you take meds.

Godspeed, my friend.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:35 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Do you mind sharing your health issues, I'm rather curious. You opened the box for discussion.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:45 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Case in point.
Perhaps you would like to respond more constructively to my post?

I am especially curious to see how cervical Pap smears can be used to detect HPV cancers anywhere except the female cervix and why detecting such cervical cancers, even when they are early and curable, is better than preventing them.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:53 PM

16,093 posts, read 10,762,339 times
In one of my former lives, I worked as a prison system administrator and drug companies were sometimes looking at the huge population of prison inmates as a captive customer base. Prisons were established for the care and custody of inmates, including their health, so drug companies figured out that prison systems should be administering drugs for various ailments. The general population on the street wouldn't have access or know they need some of these medications. I particularly recall a push to have all inmates tested for Hepatitis C and then treat them with interferon. That was going to be a huge expense. There are likely millions of people on the street with Hep C and don't know it and have no symptoms and many or most die of something else or are run over by a bus and never heard of Hep C. At any rate, we didn't pursue testing and treatment in that instance. Unless they have a chronic or pre-existing illness, inmates are often a pretty healthy bunch because (in spite of their behavioral problems) they are isolated from some health risks and not driving off cliffs or drowning or having some other accident and they get exercise and a reasonable diet.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Assume whatever you'd like.

You know what the mother of all stupid business plans is? The one that assumes you can take the money and run without your customer base ever catching on to your scheme.

Sorry, the people are onto the corporate medical cartel's game and they've had enough. The party is in its final days.
What party? Drug companies? That doesn’t even make sense. You know who they like to run the government? Republicans.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Is it? I guess each of us can post sites saying how much money is spent on research Vs finding a cure, into we're blue in the face. I can't see drug companies wanting to find a cure for diseases like cancer,etc.
There is just too much money in the treatments for it we spend billions on our military but not enough finding a cure for these diseases. Even more considering how much money drug companies spend on lobbyist every year.
And, yet, they’ve all but found a cure for HIV.

Cancer is a blanket term for many illnesses. Of course they seek cures.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
During trials, they find out that the drug being tested affects a group of symptoms.

Then they group the symptoms under a condition and name the condition.

Then they market the drug to people who have the "condition."

It absolutely happens. PCOS is one.
Ummmm. No. That is not at all how that works.

They may find, during testing, that a drug created for one disease is effective on others, but they do not INVENT DISEASES.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:07 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Perhaps you would like to respond more constructively to my post?

I am especially curious to see how cervical Pap smears can be used to detect HPV cancers anywhere except the female cervix and why detecting such cervical cancers, even when they are early and curable, is better than preventing them.

Perhaps you’d like to stay on topic? Other then in the context of cervical cancer, HPV was not something that people were worried about and even within the context of cervical cancer, Pap smears have been a known and extremely effective tool of prevention. The fear over HPV began with the introduction of the vaccine. The fear has ramped up due to the fact that many parents remain skeptical of this vaccine that should be making the manufacturer more money. The “Did You Know” campaign has been controversial due to it’s reliance on parental guilt to sell more vaccines.

In the context of HPV related cancers in other parts of the body, they have always been extremely rare. They were extremely rare before the vaccine and they are extremely rare now. Smoking,alcohol use, unprotected vaginal, anal and oral sex with multiple partners are all extremely significant risk factors in HPV related cancers. The vast majority of people get HPV and the vast majority also are able to clear it from their bodies with zero intervention. Diet even plays a role.

This particular virus is something that people used to not worry so much about other then using condoms to prevent all STI’s and getting paps, now that the drug companies have made a vaccine, it’s suddenly a major health threat. That is disease mongering and that is exactly what this thread is about. Once a drug is available, the disease or illness that once was not seen as a major threat is suddenly something to fear.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
No. They drugs being tested do NOT have to be better than anything on the market. They only have to be better than placebo.

And then with a great marketing plan, tons of CME activities to get doctors on board, the crappy drug becomes a huge success, to the detriment of the patients.

There are #metoo drugs. They are called biosimilars.
I never said there were not. I said FDA cracked down. There used to be way more approvals. And, do you know of any company that does not market whatever they are selling?

I never said they had to be better than whatever was on the entire market.

They have to show compelling data if a drug Company Z invents is too similar to a drug Company Z already invented that has gone off patent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies