Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2018, 11:06 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
LOL! Since you asked:

University of Colorado, Boulder, BA (with honors), MS

And you must be a grad from that private Colorado university known by all as a party school for the off-spring of wealthy parents who consider 4 years of hitting the slopes at Telluride and Aspen to be the equivalent of a college education. You have both my condolences and my promise not to reveal to others where you wasted 4 perfectly good years of your life. Or not.
Actually, no. Graduated with honors from Georgia Tech--the 7th best engineering school in the country--in Aerospace engineering (ranked 2nd in the country). Moved to Denver in 2006.

Oh, and the only rightful 1990 national champion (undefeated and no 5th down needed).

Quote:
Let us get to the root of the subject which would be The Federalist Papers written by Alexander Hamilton and James Madison. In lobbying for adoption of the Constitution over the existing Articles of Confederation, the essays explain particular provisions of the Constitution in detail.

For this reason, and because Hamilton and Madison were each members of the Constitutional Convention, the Federalist Papers are often used today to help interpret the intentions of those drafting the Constitution. I have changed the paragraph spacing to facilitate ease of reading comprehension and the emphasis added is my own.

Your desire to make income taxes a TEMPORARY expedient, SOLELY for the funding of military operations is the product of your own imagination, not the Constitution.
Using the Federalist Papers on a libertarian is like using holy water on a vampire. I much prefer the Anti-Federalist Papers; the anti-federalists knew the Constitution was a usurpation and consolidation of power in the hands of the federal government. Hamilton was the original neocon.

We may say then that this clause [Article 1, Section 8] commits to the hands of the general legislature every conceivable source of revenue within the United States, Not only are these terms very comprehensive, and extend to a vast number of objects, but the power to lay and collect has great latitude; it will lead to the passing a vast number of laws, which may affect the personal rights of the citizens of the states, expose their property to fines and confiscation, and put their lives in jeopardy. It opens a door to the appointment of a swarm of revenue and excise collectors to prey upon the honest and industrious part of the community, [and] eat up their substance... - Brutus – Anti-Federalist 32

Old 04-17-2018, 11:07 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
^^And we go back to the central theme of the right in this country, that morality is equated to the size of your bank account; rich=good, poor=evil. I'm sorry, I don't subscribe to that type of thinking
Duh, of course!

1. If they earn their money legally, the more money they have, the more contribution they make to the society, and the more moral they are. Bill Gates or Steve Job is more a saint than a million Mother Theresa.

2. If the poor is so virtuous, why their crime rate, particularly, murder rate is so high?

3. If a person doesn't pay taxes and makes no contribution to the society, by definition, that person is a leech. What morality does a leech have?

Old 04-17-2018, 11:09 AM

88,999 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
what happens when companies start giving out company cards as a benefit for working and lowered salaries in return?
That's taxable as income.
Quote:
Income from fringe benefits

If you receive fringe benefits for services you render, they are considered taxable income, even if someone else receives them, such as your spouse. These taxable benefits and perks may include:
  • A company-paid off-site gym membership
  • A company vehicle for personal use
  • Holiday gifts in the form of cash or gift certificates from your employer
  • A certain portion of employer-paid dependent care
  • Company-paid tuition fees over a certain amount
  • Company-paid financial counseling fees
  • Employer-paid group life insurance over a certain amount

Quote:
people will avoid your flat tax like they avoid other tax, by lobbying congress for execptions
It's not as easy to avoid paying taxes as you think. Don't you think the high-income would do so if they could? Yet, the top 0.1% (minimum income: $2.2 million) pay an average effective federal income tax rate of 27.44%. The top 400 earners (minimum income $126.8 million), even with all the write offs and deductions they can supposedly take still pay an average effective federal income tax rate of 23.13%.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/14intop400.pdf

Old 04-17-2018, 11:14 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Duh, of course!

1. If they earn their money legally, the more money they have, the more contribution they make to the society, and the more moral they are. Bill Gates or Steve Job is more a saint than a million Mother Theresa.

2. If the poor is so virtuous, why their crime rate, particularly, murder rate is so high?

3. If a person doesn't pay taxes and makes no contribution to the society, by definition, that person is a leech. What morality does a leech have?
Oh yeah, Charles and David Koch are the shining beacons of morality

Old 04-17-2018, 11:19 AM

88,999 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
They provide a lot of jobs. They produce a lot of goods/services that people need. They're definitely major contributors to society. They're not immoral just because you disagree with their political views.

I don't agree with Bill Gates. He donates too money and resources to the rest of the world instead of helping the poor right here in the U.S. Same with Oprah. That doesn't mean they're immoral. We just have different beliefs.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They provide a lot of jobs. They produce a lot of goods/services that people need. They're definitely major contributors to society. They're not immoral just because you disagree with their political views.

I don't agree with Bill Gates. He donates too money and resources to the rest of the world instead of helping the poor right here in the U.S. Same with Oprah. That doesn't mean they're immoral. We just have different beliefs.
Their company has poisoned groundwater in areas where they have fracked, most notably in Arkansas. That's not moral

Old 04-17-2018, 11:25 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
My cousin works at a tax place and he tels me folks with big money seem to always be more bitter when they find out they have to pay more. Not aure what the proportion is. But is jt really crippling?
Some of that extra should go to education.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Hell, yes!

The Koch brothers have lifted more people out of poverty than a thousand Mother Teresa, and their tax dollars have funded many government programs. How many people have Mother Teresa lifted out of poverty? How much tax has she paid?

Unless you can prove that they made their money illegally, they are the shining beacons of morality.

Mother Teresa? Not so much.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Their company has poisoned groundwater in areas where they have fracked, most notably in Arkansas. That's not moral
Did they knowingly do that? Do you have any evidence to support your claim?

Old 04-17-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Hell, yes!

The Koch brothers have lifted more people out of poverty than a thousand Mother Teresa, and their tax dollars have funded many government programs. How many people have Mother Teresa lifted out of poverty? How much tax has she paid?

Unless you can prove that they made their money illegally, they are the shining beacons of morality.

Mother Teresa? Not so much.
Wow, now I get why I disagree with you so much. You only think money is good, and that anything else isn't.

The Koch's are evil, Mother Theresa was a saint. But in your world, if someone doesn't make a lot of money, then they are evil. I bet you think that Kim Kardashian is more moral than a Salvation Army worker too

Btw, I already mentioned where Koch Industries' fracking has poisoned groundwater. Care to address that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies