Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2018, 04:37 AM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I confess, already. I am a lowly millennial with abysmal thinking ability. I can't work and I spend all my time blotting out reality by becoming completely absorbed in Face Book and Twitter. I cheat to get food stamps that I buy only Twinkies with and on top of everything else, I'm an illegal from Mexico left hanging by the abrupt disappearance of DACHA. I voted for Hillary (illegally) in the last election and I get a disability check - a big fat one - from the gubbermint for an illness that I made up all by myself.
It isn't a reflection of you, personally, it's what "progressive" education ideology and pedagogy did to dumb down our schools for 50 years, though Education Week states it's 45 years.

The point being that eschewing excellence in education to instead cater to self-esteem, mixing students of various abilities/skill levels in the same class and dumbing the curriculum down to the lowest level to supposedly create more equal educational and therefore socioeconomic outcomes in the hopes of forming a more cohesive society is what has made you reflect the same reality the OECD and PIAAC has tracked: The U.S. has dumbed it's population down so far over the past 45-50 years that we are no longer competitive in a global economy.

Quote:
Worst of all, I'm a democrat.
Well, that's a personal choice, but aren't you ashamed to admit that considering how far public schools have dumbed down their trapped K-12 Hispanic and Black students? Democrats: "NO VOUCHERS FOR YOU! NO CHANCE OF ESCAPING TO A BETTER EDUCATION FOR YOU! YOU ARE TO REMAIN STUPID AND POOR, HOLDING YOUR HAND OUT IN DESPERATE NEED OF THE FREEBIES I PROMISE YOU FOR YOUR VOTE!"

Old 04-17-2018, 04:51 AM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
It's not like the collapse of educational standards in U.S. public schools for the last several decades has been a secret. Here's a warning, published in 1983:

Quote:
"Our Nation is at risk. Our once unchallenged preeminence in commerce, industry, science, and technological innovation is being overtaken by competitors throughout the world. This report is concerned with only one of the many causes and dimensions of the problem, but it is the one that undergirds American prosperity, security, and civility. We report to the American people that while we can take justifiable pride in what our schools and colleges have historically accomplished and contributed to the United States and the well-being of its people, the educational foundations of our society are presently being eroded by a rising tide of mediocrity that threatens our very future as a Nation and a people. What was unimaginable a generation ago has begun to occur--others are matching and surpassing our educational attainments.

If an unfriendly foreign power had attempted to impose on America the mediocre educational performance that exists today, we might well have viewed it as an act of war. As it stands, we have allowed this to happen to ourselves. We have even squandered the gains in student achievement made in the wake of the Sputnik challenge. Moreover, we have dismantled essential support systems which helped make those gains possible. We have, in effect, been committing an act of unthinking, unilateral educational disarmament.

...Each generation of Americans has outstripped its parents in education, in literacy, and in economic attainment. For the first time in the history of our country, the educational skills of one generation will not surpass, will not equal, will not even approach, those of their parents."
From 1983, no less.

Much more:

https://www2.ed.gov/pubs/NatAtRisk/risk.html

I've already posted the recent OECD PIAAC results indicating U.S. millennials are falling even further behind.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:47 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,177,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
But, to be fair... did they have the same opportunities as you?

Were they as academically inclined? Were they mentally as fit? Were they free of addictions? Were they free of abusive/poorly-functioning families?
They had the exact the same opportunities. They went to the same schools, lived in my neighborhood....several on my street. They were all free of additions....in their younger years and they came from good, 1st and 2nd generation immigrant families who worked hard. Were they intelligent enough to be successful? Absolutely. In fact, I would say that a few were likely more intelligent than myself. Were they as academically inclined? Well, the obvious answer to that would be no. Were they driven to work hard? No.....only enough to just get by. They don't pay their "fair share."

Old 04-17-2018, 07:02 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
My cousin works at a tax place and he tels me folks with big money seem to always be more bitter when they find out they have to pay more. Not aure what the proportion is. But is jt really crippling?
Sounds like Marxist class warfare, is in your future.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:13 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,244,554 times
Quote:
My cousin works at a tax place and he tels me folks with big money seem to always be more bitter when they find out they have to pay more. Not aure what the proportion is. But is jt really crippling?
I don't like it....I keep hoping to be forced to pay a million dollars in taxes one year.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:22 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
I don't blame the wealthy for complaining, they just shouldn't do it to people who actually suffer from paying taxes. Sometimes wealthy people think lower income people don't pay any taxes but some people have no deductions and they certainly do pay.

My friend IS low income for the area but she didn't even qualify for a small (low and moderate income) credit, so 33K exceeds low or moderate income? It must be high income then.

There is an ugly point of income which is just above qualifying for benefits, credits, nothing, yet get hit with thousands of taxes they cannot afford. They have to give up essentials. So, I have a hard time feeling too sorry for rich people complaining about taxes.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:25 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Gee, may I touch the hem of your robe?

CHECK YOUR PREMISES

Your reply was made with the unspoken assumption that anyone who can't (or won't) buy a Cessna must therefore be a welfare cheat.

It follows that the US is made up of two classes of people - welfare cheats and the nobility who can do no wrong- Cessna owners.

Why do you sully yourself by interacting with the great unwashed masses here on the CD politics forum?
I'm very upset to learn that I'm a welfare cheat. :\

Old 04-17-2018, 07:29 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Gee, may I touch the hem of your robe?

CHECK YOUR PREMISES

Your reply was made with the unspoken assumption that anyone who can't (or won't) buy a Cessna must therefore be a welfare cheat.

It follows that the US is made up of two classes of people - welfare cheats and the nobility who can do no wrong- Cessna owners.

Why do you sully yourself by interacting with the great unwashed masses here on the CD politics forum?
Paws off my person.

I made some wise investments plus I have a six figure job that I worked very hard to get where I am. So why do people think they have the right to be a parasite off of me? Or others?

Old 04-17-2018, 07:30 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,399,266 times
Quote:
Does the proportion make it feel like your still broke?
Taxes can't be levied according to whether or not they make someone broke at a particular income level.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:35 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,399,266 times
Quote:
Some people are just plain greedy and too lazy to understand the fundamentals upon which are Country was founded. Your cousin should ask the wealthy whiners if they have ever read Thomas Paine. Bet they haven't even heard of Thomas Paine.
Thomas Paine was a liberal agitator against the crown, whose primary goal was to revolt. Tax complaining was a means to an end.

What that means is that, ironically, the Left would now consider this essentially anti-government Left Wing revolutionary personality to be Right Wing. Precisely because their interest now lies in solidifying their specific type of internationalist government through ever increasing tax proportions.

If the government were to ever revert to a monarchy, the Left would again quickly jump on board with anti-tax rhetoric as a means to weaken it. They're goal oriented opportunists. They could care about economic nor any other principles.

Last edited by golgi1; 04-17-2018 at 07:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies